• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hands down one of my favorite reads...

Good to know.

My problem is, I'm reading a book that I don't really want to finish because it is so good. I eschewd another book to start this one, and if I start the Chabon, that will be three books going at the same time, and, and...

Good to know.

My problem is, I'm reading a book that I don't really want to finish because it is so good. I eschewd another book to start this one, and if I start the Chabon, that will be three books going at the same time, and, and...

I'm always the same way. I've got 2 books in the car at all times (right now it's "Fiasco" and some Parker mystery fluff novel) and one at home...

Started this last night:

0099478560.jpg

Excellent read. I finished it last spring. My first Roth book and very enjoyable.

I started this last night. Somebody around here went to a Roger Kahn signing a few months back...

0312338139M.jpg

cover2.jpg

20th Century Ghosts ~ Joe Hill. Very spooky book of short stories. After all Halloween is on the way.

P.S. ~ Joe Hill was eventually outed AFTER the glowing reviews. He's Joe Hill King. Stephen's son. B)

Oh, neat. I read a book of short stories by Owen King a few months ago, and it was pretty good.

th-06650.jpg

At Risk had been sitting on my shelf for years, but for some reason I never got around to reading it until yesterday. The subject matter isn't typical Hoffman--it's a straight-forward drama about what happens to a family when their 11-year-old daughter contracts AIDS--but there's something vital about it, perhaps because it was published in 1988. I'm a Hoffman fan, and this one ranks pretty high among my favorites.

Excellent read. I finished it last spring. My first Roth book and very enjoyable.

I started this last night. Somebody around here went to a Roger Kahn signing a few months back...

0312338139M.jpg

Don't know about the signing, but he stopped by our office the other day. Nice guy.

"The mummied dead everywhere. The flesh cloven along the bones, the ligaments dried to tug and taut as wires. Shriveled and drawn like latterday bogfolk, their faces of boiled sheeting, the yellowed palings of their teeth. They were discarded to a man like pilgrims of some common order for all their shoes were long stolen.

"The mummied dead everywhere. The flesh cloven along the bones, the ligaments dried to tug and taut as wires. Shriveled and drawn like latterday bogfolk, their faces of boiled sheeting, the yellowed palings of their teeth. They were discarded to a man like pilgrims of some common order for all their shoes were long stolen.
Amazing! This is the third time I've read it, and it just gets more interesting every time.

gebdh.jpg

Jahilia, I'm finally into this one. I don't think I'm getting all of it, but maybe by the third time through... :unsure

Jahilia, I'm finally into this one. I don't think I'm getting all of it, but maybe by the third time through... :unsure

Yeah, the first time I "read" it, I mostly skimmed the main parts and paid the most attention to the dialogues (Achilles & Tortoise) and those wonderful Escher drawings. Second time, I read the chapters a little more closely. Third time, it all came together. I think this book is a lot like a record (or at least the way I listen to records).. scan it at first, but keep it on the shelf. Sometime 8 or 10 months from now (or a year, depending on your reading habits...and your bookshelf) it'll hit you. I really think it's $30 well spent. He doesn't call it "the eternal golden braid" for nothing...everything from biology to computer programming to symbolic logic to Bach all tied up into one book. Good stuff.

Edited by jahilia