• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just starting this, and hoping for good things because Cold Mtn was a beautifully written book (that they ruined by making into a movie starring Nicole Kidman)

Thirteen-Moons-_Square_.jpg

I recently finished the Craig Ferguson book as well. I heard him read a bit of it and speak here recently, and he's great. Funny, smart, and charming, of course. But wow, does he ever have some wacko groupies. :ermm

I'm considering going to this tonight: A TALK WITH A DISEASE-NERD NOVELIST, BANJO PLAYER AND INDIE-ROCK MUSE

Three years ago, the Decemberists' Colin Meloy wrote a song about Myla Goldberg's pretty hands and dangly limbs as "unique New York." With her first novel, Bee Season, Goldberg - who plays the banjo - won the adoration of brainy girls and boys everywhere. Bee Season is weird and lovable in its spelling bee awkwardness, and became a major motion picture. Her follow-up, Wickett's Remedy, about the 1918 influenza epidemic, is fascinating: It combines years of intense research and the fictional commentary of ghosts who offer their own funny interpretations on the story. Come hear this young star share her inspiration.

You had me at "disease nerd". :wub

This is a memoir by a woman who said yes to everyone who asked her on a date for a year. (That would be like three dates for me, but it's many for her.)

1401302300.jpg

0316009989.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I don't often read rock bios (or autobios) but I always liked Phil and it was $5 at Barnes and Noble.

I'm about 100 pages in and it's OK.

My only complaint:not long enough! Hell Bill Clinton's autobiography was 950 pages...and he didn't even play for the Dead :lol

My only complaint:not long enough! Hell Bill Clinton's autobiography was 950 pages...and he didn't even play for the Dead :lol

I have never read that PHil book. Last one I read was the "official" book. I see Steve Parish has one out now. I own the Rock Scully one - it's like one big drug story.

I have never read that PHil book. Last one I read was the "official" book. I see Steve Parish has one out now. I own the Rock Scully one - it's like one big drug story.

The Parish book is decent. I liked the Phil one, too. I've read most of the Dead-related books and it's interesting to get the different takes on particular events.

If you enjoy reading first-hand accounts of the Dead and their extended Family check out Parish's site, RoadieRadio.com- it's chock-full of interviews and other assorted neat items (you need to register to log in....free).

The Parish book is decent. I liked the Phil one, too. I've read most of the Dead-related books and it's interesting to get the different takes on particular events.

If you enjoy reading first-hand accounts of the Dead and their extended Family check out Parish's site, RoadieRadio.com- it's chock-full of interviews and other assorted neat items (you need to register to log in....free).

I also have some picture book and a GD reader.

I also have some picture book

If it's the Jay Blakesberg, Between the Dark and Light, it's an excellent book. The stories behind the pics are fun, and the photography outstanding. IIRC, Phil does the intro for it (Blakesberg is Phil's "official" photographer). A very well put-together coffee table book.

If it's the Jay Blakesberg, Between the Dark and Light, it's an excellent book. The stories behind the pics are fun, and the photography outstanding. IIRC, Phil does the intro for it (Blakesberg is Phil's "official" photographer). A very well put-together coffee table book.

I forget the title - the cover has a photo of them standing around a chopper and Brent has a black eye - David Gans put it together - sometime in the 80s?