• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

0876850867.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Bukowski - Post Office

cool, read a lot of bukowski this year. got that one for xmas but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. my stack is getting bigger and bigger.

any word on the Factotum movie? i oppose to their decision to use matt dillan to play an ugly seedy greasy drunkard, but who knows, maybe he'll pull off the seedy greasy drunkard part alright.

johnson_joyce_door.jpg

I read this years ago and enjoyed it. I like being able to read both sides of a conversation in letters. Then, of course, Joyce Johnson was able to put a lot of into a larger context by adding some narration.

that looks cool, is it interesting?
OMG Rich! If this is anything like the books of HST letters,I need to grab this up pronto!

My parents bought it for me for my birthday from a second hand book shop - not sure how hard or easy it is to get.

I'm only a handful of pages in, but it's really interesting - the whole mix of drugs, depression, brilliance in his letters is great - in this volume there's an awful lot to Ginsberg who gets it in the neck when he doesn't reply :) It's amazing how much of his correspondence ended up in his actual books.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell....Harry Potter for adults, I'm told. I started it but am not sure I'll finish it.

I read that a while back - it's worth sticking with, it's very good and, IMO, better than the Harry Potter lot.

Am I the only one here who's had enough of that dude?

i've only read sex, drugs, & cocoa puffs and found the humor and references to pop culture interesting and amusing, so i am looking forward to reading more. who knows if another book will be the stopping point, of if i'll read the rest after, but i did enjoy the one i read and thought it was very clever.

i've only read sex, drugs, & cocoa puffs and found the humor and references to pop culture interesting and amusing, so i am looking forward to reading more. who knows if another book will be the stopping point, of if i'll read the rest after, but i did enjoy the one i read and thought it was very clever.

Fargo Rock City is still his best work, but i've liked them all.

Just finished:

Michael Chabon - Wonder Boys

I was a little let down by this. I had heard so much good stuff and loved the movie. It was good but just not something that the book was that much better than the movie. I hate reading stuff that I've already seen the movie though.

NR:

Shakespeare - King Richard II

Up Next:

Joyce Carol Oates - Because it is Bitter, and Because it is My Heart

Come again?

Must have been too early. What I meant was that for the extra effort and time it takes to read a book, I would like one that rewards above a beyond the movie. I didn't feel like that happened. At least for me.