will you post when you realize all this feel good crap you read is a waste of time?

You would prefer perhaps I list all the books about orphaned children raped by old men, books on addiction and germ warfare, Holocaust survivor stories, WW2 wandering orphan stories etc. that I have also read?

:stunned

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have I Am Legend.....bought it after hearing a bit on NPR with some staff at Powells talking about what they thought was the scariest book ever written. The consensus was that it was I Am Legend. I started it, but never finished it.....I didn't get far into it. I should give it another go.

http://www.archive.org/details/the-last-man-on-earth

the movie

I have I Am Legend.....bought it after hearing a bit on NPR with some staff at Powells talking about what they thought was the scariest book ever written. The consensus was that it was I Am Legend. I started it, but never finished it.....I didn't get far into it. I should give it another go.

I also have a short story collection by Matheson called "Terror at 20,000 feet" - the story of the same name is the one used in the Twilight Zone movie ("there's a man on the wing of this plane!!"). It's pretty creepy stuff, which for me means two thumbs up.

I'm taking "Legend" on a trip next week and can't wait to read it.

"The Great Influenza" (reading it now)

Infectious-disease non-fiction is one of my favorite things, but this one just didn't do it for me for some reason. :hmm

"King Dork" (audio book, which I need to import to iTunes, stat).

Ooh, this one's on my list too! (the book book though, not the audio book) Let me know if it's any good. And then, send me your pop punk mix. :monkey

Just finished:

1400033543.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It's now pretty much official, I don't really enjoy reading Dave Eggers' books. I like the idea of Dave Eggers' books, and I love what he's done with McSweeney's, 826 Valencia, etc., but I just really really don't like the books. I've tried. Seriously.

Now reading:

assassination.jpg

For the book club. Also, it's a palate-cleansing read, before I dive into:

gebdh.jpg

Jahilia, you said this book would be a commitment, which I'm totally up for, but what I might not be prepared for is carrying this thing around with me on the bus. It's huge!

Ooh, this one's on my list too! (the book book though, not the audio book) Let me know if it's any good. And then, send me your pop punk mix. :monkey

I've got the real book version on hold, just waiting for the call that it's in. I'm not sure if I'll ever actually listen to the audio book version, save for the last disc with the Dr. Frank interview and handful of MTX songs.

And I've got you down for the pop-punk thing. Whenever it's ready...

I have Assasination Vacation on my pile......let me know what you think of it. :)

Sarah Vowell irritates me on the radio and I am hoping I can read the book without having her voice in my head........

I have Assasination Vacation on my pile......let me know what you think of it. :)

Sarah Vowell irritates me on the radio and I am hoping I can read the book without having her voice in my head........

Kate, you weren't asking me, but I thought some chapters of Assassination Vacation were excellent, while others were just decent. I'd recommend it, just not with complete enthusiasm. :blush

Also, while I'm giving unsolicited opinions: since you liked Prep, you might like Man of my Dreams ,Curtis Sittenfeld's latest book. I loved it (terrible title notwithstanding). :yes

I'm reading:

10765576.jpg

I was in the bookstore at lunch, and saw this:

11590236.jpg

I can't remember the last Susan Isaacs book I read, but there was a point, up until fairly recently, when I had read them all. For a long time her books were my favorite guilty pleasure. I don't know how many I've missed in the years since I stopped picking them up the minute they hit the shelves, but I think it might be past time for a little mental vacation with a few of these. :yes

Kate, I haven't finished Assassination Vacation yet, but it's... pretty good. Definitely lightweight. She's got some interesting insights, and a few laugh-out-loud lines, but nothing that's particularly sticking with me, or making me want to go back and check out her other books. I like her on the radio (despite the annoying voice [not that I have room to talk :ermm ]), and I think I was expecting to like her more in a longer format, but... meh.

Kate, you weren't asking me, but I thought some chapters of Assassination Vacation were excellent, while others were just decent. I'd recommend it, just not with complete enthusiasm. :blush

Also, while I'm giving unsolicited opinions: since you liked Prep, you might like Man of my Dreams ,Curtis Sittenfeld's latest book. I loved it (terrible title notwithstanding). :yes

I'm reading:

10765576.jpg

I picked up the other Sittenfeld book while halfway through Prep....it is also on my pile. I am reading the newest Nick Hornby right now, which I am beginning to settle into. I was a little unsure at first.

And thanks for posting that book about Booth - I think I know what I am getting my mom for Christmas. She loved the Goodwin book Team of Rivals and is Lincolnsessed. Let me know what you think of Manhunt. I highly trust your opinion. :)

I also bought a book of Grace Paley short stories recently after her name was mentioned in another book.....anyone read her? thoughts?

Speaking of Martin Amis I'm going to start Time's Arrow this evening... He's one of my favourites as well.

Just finished:

0752873946.01._PE34_OU02_SCMZZZZZZZ_V51384817_.jpg

Apart from the very similar biog parts in the articles, the interviews with him are great and laugh out loud in places...

0385732910.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I just started this but it is already pretty clear that the skills Dr. Frank used to craft great, clever, witty lyrics with the Mr. T Experience translate at least as well (if not better) to this new format.

I wish I had the time to just read it straight through.

The-Phantom_Tollbooth-HB.jpg

Every year since about 5th grade, I've read this book the day before school starts. I guess it's my own way of making sure I don't grow up too fast, or something.

Plus, this is probably the most imaginative book ever written, and it makes me feel all sorts of happy inside.

I love that book. As for me, school already started so I'm not reading anything fun. It all could be worse considering I'm a literature major (math textbooks, etc.), but there isn't much of interest to me this semester.

Time's Arrow is a good one. Part 5 is especially chilling. I think I'll start it again tonight too. :cheers

Finished Time's Arrow last night... really is a great book... there's some great bits in it and the irony that the concious believes he's doing more harm as a doctor than when he's at the concentration camp is well put together...

Any fans of Sam Shepard here? I could use a recommendation.

Now reading:

perrotta-little_children.jpg

Searching for an image, I learned there's a movie being made. I resisted learning who's in it, since I'm only halfway through, and don't want to suddenly be picturing Ashton Kutcher or Jennifer Aniston in the leads...