Wilco in Quebec in July?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well consider this a little more of a confirmation then... July in Quebec. I wonder if I can get backstage.......

Edit: By the way everyone should really check out Elliott Brood... I know one of the guys in the band, but I can honestly say without any type of bias they are great. You won't regret giving them a listen (they're opening for Wilco so you gotta check them out right?!). If you can get stuff from their first EP called Tin Type, it's really good, or anything live, or their major label album Ambassador is good too. It was nominated for a Juno (Canuck Grammy).

Edited by NateNotta

259.jpg

Nice to see a little Canada love. In March, Nels mentioned that Wilco would be doing a Canadian tour (from west to east) in July. Mikael apparently said something similar last night in Portland.

It would be cool if they included some smaller places like Victoria, BC and Halifax, NS as well, but that's probably asking too much.

Your friend's brother's band kicks fucking ass. Ambassador was one of last year's best records. That'll be one helluva show!

And then he read the other posts in the thread...

An official Wilco tour of this fine land excites me. And AROUSES me. Oh, dear. Maybe they'll come closer than Toronto this time, but I doubt it.

Your friend's brother's band kicks fucking ass. Ambassador was one of last year's best records. That'll be one helluva show!

And then he read the other posts in the thread...

An official Wilco tour of this fine land excites me. And AROUSES me. Oh, dear. Maybe they'll come closer than Toronto this time, but I doubt it.

Yeah I'm so pumped to see them becoming more and more popular, they really are awesome. Mark and Casey from the band both went to my high school, then when Steve Pitkin (from Toronto) produced their EP he joined them after that as their drummer.

I've seen them twice here in Windsor, and that number would be higher if we had some good venues with more capacity, because they always sell out.

If this Wilco concert is just Wilco w/ Elliott Brood as the only opening act, that will be amazing. I suppose that would mean for sure that Casey and them would get to meet Wilco... man I want to get back stage, I don't even think I would bug anyone in the band, I just want to be in the same room as them :D

welcome Nate.

I booked the BROOD into a London Ont show earlier this month. They are a friggin amazing band and I've tried to spread the love around this board a tinsy bit.

anybody have dates (hmm,,, I wonder if can convince them to play my smaller burb???)

Edited by lizish

Also try suggesting in no subtle terms that the regional municipality of Niagara now has not one, but TWO, fan-damn-tastic theatres (capacity: 1500) and millions of visitors every year.

(I AM SO SICK OF GOING TO T.O. AND BUFF FOR SHOWS.)

Ahem.

This is soo funny, look at the BROOD dates for Jun/July;

Jun 1 Aarhus DK @ Spot Festival

Jun 8 Parry Sound ON @ Stockey Centre

Jun 9 Montreal QC @ Divan Orange

Jun 10 Ottawa ON festival

Jun 16,17 Winnipeg MB @ Old Market Square

Jun 23 Toronto ON @ Hugh's Room

Jul 7 Toronto ON, Yacht Rock

Jul 8, 9 Ottawa ON Bluesfest

Jul 14, 15 Saskatoon SK @ Ness Creek Festival

Jul 22 Red Lake ON @ Norseman Festival

Aug 12 Cobalt ON

Wilco really should play tinsy tiny Parry Sound, Cobalt or Red Lake. Better yet, they should play the Kee to Bala. Imagine if they again grabbed Garth Hudson and shipped him up to play a place he's played many many times before in another Band?

http://www.thekee.com/

historic_11.jpg

historic_18.jpg

Edited by lizish
So what's Moose Jaw like??

Flat, I guess. (I've actually never been there. :blush )

they should play the Kee to Bala. Imagine if they again grabbed Garth Hudson and shipped him up to play a place he's played many many times before in another Band?

The Kee would be pretty cool. I've always wanted to see it.

The kee is not what it once was - but still a lot of fun.

I get reminded of this fake press release from a number of years ago with the minus 5:

The misbegotten and oft-diseased combo The Minus 5, having just returned from the month-long cross-country Fast Horse Hootenanny Four-Ring Circus, will be supporting Wilco on its upcoming west coast swing. Having recently recorded a collaborative album with Wilco (an album currently being rejected by every label in the country), the Minus 5 was an obvious choice. Still there is controversy. Wilco's Jeff Tweedy has asked the Minus 5 to sign a waiver pledging to "Not Rock Too Hard" on the trip. Should the Minus 5 "Rock Too Hard" on any given support slot, they will immediately be replaced on the tour by King Creepy The Ventriloquist.

On this trek the not-too-hard-rocking Minus 5 will be comprised of: Scott McCaughey (Young Fresh Fellows, etc.) Peter Buck (R.E.M., etc.) Ken Stringfellow (Posies, etc.) John Ramberg (Model Rockets) Jon Wurster (Superchunk)

tempted to plagerize/rework it for the BROOD and post it in their Myspace comments

Edited by lizish

OMG OMG OMG..this is seriously the best news I've heard in MONTHS!!!! I've been waiting for them to come back to Canada for way too long. I'm so excited I actually did a little chair dance :dancing

I will be at any show east of Toronto..I'd love to go further west, but plane tickets just cost too damn much.

A Halifax show would be so incredible..they could play the Marquee..my fave bar in the city. Fuck, they could play a parking lot and I wouldn't care! Yay! :canada

My friend just told me his brother's band (Elliott Brood) is opening for Wilco in Quebec in July :w00t ... but I don't see the show on the website. Is this not yet announced?

Hey, just checked out Elliott Brood..they rock! What a show this will be...*fingers crossed*

Where are you from in NS TamedXR&R? I love Atlantic Canada (especially NS and PEI). I really want to visit Nfld someday.

It would be very cool if they played smaller cities, but a "Canadian tour" usually looks something like this:

Toronto

And possibly one or more of the following:

Montreal

Winnipeg

Calgary

Vancouver

Maybe they should get a few other bands to join them and do a "Festival Express" trip across the country by train. :lol

I often wonder why American artists of, say, Wilco's stature don't play cities like London, HAMILTON, Guelph, Ottawa, Thunder Bay, Winnipeg, Edmonton, etc. more often than they do. The population base of each of these towns is either equal to or dwarfs towns like Asheville, Meridian, etc., which seem to get shows pretty regularly (or at least, uh, ever). The "no decent venues" excuse holds little water when you've got the Labbatt Centre, Copps, etc., etc. sitting there empty more often than not. Also, all of these burgs are college towns, so you can't tell me that the audience isn't there. I wonder if boils down to naivete on the part of the artists/promoters? A sort of semi-unconscious notion that everybody in Ontario can and will zip off to Toronto to see their favourite band, that everybody out west will congregate in Calgary, and so forth...

Granted, I can understand why cities like Moncton and Halifax get the shaft, because they are basically in the middle of nowhere (no slight intended - both gorgeous towns I've enjoyed in the past, and I'd even consider moving to the East Coast if I thought I could deal with never attending any concerts).

Canadian tour stats from WilcoBase (because we love to obsess about this stuff):

ON: 18

C'est What Toronto, ON, Canada 1996-11-20

Capital Music Hall Ottawa, ON, Canada 2004-08-04

Convocation Hall Toronto, ON, Canada 2002-04-21

HMV Music Shop Toronto, ON, Canada 1997-02-19

Horseshoe Tavern Toronto, ON, Canada 1995-06-14 1997-02-19 1997-02-20

Kool Haus Toronto, ON, Canada 2003-06-20

Massey Hall Toronto, ON, Canada 2004-10-09

Molson Ampitheatre Toronto, ON, Canada 1999-08-24

Molson Park Barrie, ON, Canada 1997-08-02

Rideau Carleton Raceway Ottawa, ON, Canada 1997-07-28

The Cave Ottawa, ON, Canada 1997-02-18

The Guvernment Toronto, ON, Canada 1999-04-17

The Mod Club Theatre Toronto, ON, Canada 2004-08-03

The Phoenix Toronto, ON, Canada 1999-11-20 2001-10-04

Trinity-St. Paul Center Toronto, ON, Canada 2001-03-01

BC: 11

Commodore Ballroom Vancouver, BC, Canada 2000-07-26 2002-08-31 2002-09-01 2006-01-31

Orpheum Theatre Vancouver, BC, Canada 2004-11-09

Richard's On Richards Vancouver, BC, Canada 2001-03-03

Starfish Room Vancouver, BC, Canada 1995-05-20

The Palladium Vancouver, BC, Canada 1999-05-19

The Rage Vancouver, BC, Canada 1997-05-04

Thunderbird Stadium Vancouver, BC, Canada 1997-07-17 2003-08-29

AB: 6 (or 7 - didn't Jeff play the Calgary Folk Festival last summer???)

Camrose Exhibition Grounds Camrose, AB, Canada 1997-07-19

Edmonton Folk Festival Edmonton, AB, Canada 2000-08-13

McEwan Hall Calgary, AB, Canada 2002-08-29

Prince's Island Park Calgary, AB, Canada 2005-07-21

Red's Edmonton, AB, Canada 2002-08-28

Republik Calgary, AB, Canada 1997-05-02

QC: 4

Metropolis Montreal, QC, Canada 2003-06-29 2005-06-28

Spectrum Montreal, QC, Canada 2002-04-22

St. Denis Theatre Montreal, QC, Canada 2004-08-05

MB: 2

Assiniboia Downs Winnipeg, MB, Canada 1997-07-23

Le Rendez-Vous Winnipeg, MB, Canada 2002-08-26

NF: 1

Snow Job Festival Marble Mountain, NL, Canada 1997-03-18

SK: 1

Saskatchewan Place Saskatoon, SK, Canada 1997-07-21

NB, NS, NT, NU, PE, & YT: 0

Granted, I can understand why cities like Moncton and Halifax get the shaft, because they are basically in the middle of nowhere (no slight intended - both gorgeous towns I've enjoyed in the past, and I'd even consider moving to the East Coast if I thought I could deal with never attending any concerts).

True. Although Wilco played a show in Portland, ME earlier this week, so they were in the general vicinity. Of course, when ferries are involved (for places like Halifax, NS and Victoria, BC), costs go up.

Where are you from in NS TamedXR&R? I love Atlantic Canada (especially NS and PEI). I really want to visit Nfld someday.

I'm from Cape Breton Island..about 5 hours from Halifax. It is a beautiful place to live, but yes, we do get the royal shaft when it comes to concerts. Pearl Jam came last September and I nearly lost my mind with excitement. We do however have a great number of local artists that I get to see..like Matt Mays and Joel Plaskett. He's one of Canada's best songwriters in my opinion. I'm gonna try and post some of his tunes soon.

I'd love to see them play The Marquee in Halifax.. http://www.themarqueeclub.ca/