Johnny Cash American V

Okay.....you may be right. There certainly must be a market for people wanting to listen to dying musiicans.

Hey, the Stones have been bringing 'em in pretty steady the last decade or two.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that is a valid argument. I loved Warren Zevon's final album precisely because he was dying and recorded an album to reflect as much. I do howver agree that there are some clunkers on the new Cash album just as there were on almost every album he made, but the good outweigh the bad in my opinion. As to the post mortem releases, there have already been scads of artists, such as Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn whose corpses have been mined far too often for my tastes, but somewhere there is a desire for this product.

I don't think that is a valid argument. I loved Warren Zevon's final album precisely because he was dying and recorded an album to reflect as much.

I agree. An excellent album. If you haven't seen the documentary on the recording of The Wind, you should.

Disclaimer to folks weary of dying artists: Warren Zevon is dying in it, and knows he's dying.

isn't von freeman about 100?
He's 80 actually and not dying.

LouieB

I agree. An excellent album. If you haven't seen the documentary on the recording of The Wind, you should.

Disclaimer to folks weary of dying artists: Warren Zevon is dying in it, and knows he's dying.

I did see this, it was excellent too.

LouieB

We're all dying, Louie. Dying since the day we were born...

Actually we don't really start to die until approx. 18 yrs of age, on a cellular level at least.

I take it all back.....frankly while this sounds like a pretty depressing release (and continues to have a whiff of taking advantage of Johnny), I am still interested in hearing it. I have heard some of it on the radio, but wouldn't mind hearing it.

Somehow I suspect it will show up used any moment, since it is bound to freak a few unsuspecting buyers.

LouieB

i hadn't realized you hadn't heard it. oy. PM on the way
Downloading now. I actually have heard some of it on Sound Opinions and some other shows that have been reviewing it.

LouieB

Wow, that was depressing...!!!

I had heard some of those cuts, but not all of them. The combined effect is stunning and not entirely in a good way. First off, I have to give Rubin credit for plugging in some really great accompanyment; good work on making it sound restrained and tasteful. Thank goodness this is Johnny Cash, I mean even with the ruined voice and being on his last leg he still more or less pulled it off. Some of the songs are okay, some are old chestnuts (Four Strong Winds, If you could read my Mind, Love's Been Good to me, etc.), some are sentimental and some are just plain depressing.

I can't imagine what is left to release after this. I still think this is somewhat macabre and it is just barely Johnny, who was one of the great singers of the 20th century. I sure hope this isn't the way most people remember the guy though. RIP Johnny.....wow.....

LouieB

I have no doubt that opver the years various discs will be released and at soem point it will appear to be picking at the financial corpse of Johnny until then though...
Okay I am willing to concede (half anyway) that maybe this isn't the point, but it is getting damn close. Another release exactly like this one will be even closer to vulture territory.

Johnny cast a long shadow and has a large body (of work) so figure on the corpse being picked for many many years to come.

I think Rick Rubin should give these albums away....

LouieB

I think Rick Rubin should give these albums away....

LouieB

Why should he do that? It's not like all the profits are going into his pocket. There's still a Cash (and Carter) family and estate.

I was half kidding. So sell them for half price. They should have given away coupons with UnEarthed because lots of us got this thinking it was the LAST recordings of Johnny Cash. How wrong we were.

Oh and as far the the Cashes and Carters...if the proceeds were given directly to the Carter Family Fold or the Birthplace of Country Music Association, I would buy two of these CDs.

LouieB

I was half kidding. So sell them for half price. They should have given away coupons with UnEarthed because lots of us got this thinking it was the LAST recordings of Johnny Cash. How wrong we were.

Oh and as far the the Cashes and Carters...if the proceeds were given directly to the Carter Family Fold or the Birthplace of Country Music Association, I would buy two of these CDs.

LouieB

You are free to donate as much money as you'd like to the Carters or the BCMA, no cd purchase required.

I don't know anything about Unearthed, but word to the wise: never trust marketing slogans.

I don't think there is anything at all wrong with releasing these recordings. On the contrary, I think the emotions expressed through the singing of a man about to die is about as fascinating as music can get, particularly when the singer is arguably the greatest of all time at expressing emotions through song.

You are free to donate as much money as you'd like to the Carters or the BCMA, no cd purchase required.

I don't know anything about Unearthed, but word to the wise: never trust marketing slogans.

I don't think there is anything at all wrong with releasing these recordings. On the contrary, I think the emotions expressed through the singing of a man about to die is about as fascinating as music can get, particularly when the singer is arguably the greatest of all time at expressing emotions through song.

I am a member of the BMCA so I took care of that. Never trust marketers..yea..good idea too.

I don't think there is anything wrong with these recordings either, except I don't care to listen to music by people who are about to die every day of the week. (That includes Warren Zevon.) Just a personal thing. Johnny did some spectacular recordings in his life, I would personally like to remember him that way.

LouieB