via chicago

spiders

---

airline to heaven

hesitating beauty

heavy metal drummer

thanks i get?

late greats

We all thought the setlist for tonight was better than the set in Calgary. Some personal favs were added, which made a difference. The second encore was great; good to hear hesitating beauty. Six different songs from the night before.

The band was tighter tonight. Less joking around and more serious. Jeff didn't talk as much tonight as last night, but did say some humerous things. He had a way better outfit (green blazer and jeans) and looked a lot less tired. He sat down for part of one song on his spiffy new Wilco stool.

It was a completely different show as tonight there were theatre style seats. Last night it was standing only. Tonight the room was more subdued. Security made people sit in their seats until the end when everyone was standing. The veunue was 3/4 full, but I am sure that it is at least 3 times bigger than the one in Calgary. However, there was a lot of energy, even though we were sitting.

The sound wasn't very good for the first few songs, but it was cleaned up and by then end was great.

Impossible Germany is a really really good song. Nels has a little guitar riff in it that has a ringing sound which is very catchy. I hope that someone posts it somewhere. Also cool to hear Thanks I Get as this is the first time that I heard it.

If I had to pick Edmonton or Calgary, I liked Edmonton better, but I wish we could have stood.

Having gotten another listen to Impossible Germany tonight, I feel a little more confident saying a few things about it now. First off, I was almost right on the lyrics I quoted last night. That part goes, "This is still new to me/It's not what I planned/Impossible Germany/Unlikely Japan." Then there's another sequence that goes, "But this is what love is for/to put us in place/Gorgeous alone/and face to face."

Another line I caught was something like, "The fundamental problem/I need to say/is I know you're not listening."

Upon further reflection, in terms of describing the song, I would say it's sort of almost prog-ish sounding with a dose of Television thrown in. I think the song is probably still evolving a little bit in terms of how they're playing it live, but tonight Nels launched into his solo and then near the end, Jeff came in with a sort of counter solo of his own that sort of intertwined with Nels'. The first thing that went through my mind was Marquee Moon, except of course that it wasn't 10 minutes long. But it had that kind of feel to me. Not sure whether I missed it in Calgary, but the two guitar lines interweaving gave Germany a whole new dimension to me. Leading up to the jam at the end, to me, the song had sort of a mid-70s prog-ish feel. It's basically mid-tempo, to be sure, but it's not ethereal the way On and On and On and On and, to a lesser extent, Either Way, sound to me. There's some slick (and not in a bad way) playing, almost jazzy.

After reading that Duluth interview with Mike that Heidi posted, if the writer's paraphrasing of Mike about the new record being more riff-based and groover is to be believed, I think Germany fits right into that. Right now I can envision almost half the record taking shape with Walken, Germany, Is That The Thanks I Get?, Either Way and maybe even The Good Part (if they decide to resurrect that one). The only one of the new songs that have been played live that maybe doesn't fit in as well is On and On and On and On. But who knows how things will change in the studio and all that? I'm just trying to get a grasp on how the new record seems to be shaping up at present...

P.S. Regarding the Edmonton show, the whole stand up/sit down debate was a familiar one. Jeff didn't say anything about it, like he sometimes does to sort of shame people into standing. That's going to happen anytime they play a seated theater show, so just be prepared for it. Sometimes a crowd is very enthusiastic and everybody stands up and there's no problem, but other times people are much more interested in sitting.

Also noteworthy was that the band cut the third and final riff section out of Spiders. I've never heard that before, but for those who know what I'm talking about, you know how they basically take it all the way down before exploding for one last hurrah? Well, tonight they simply let the song fade out after taking it down. An interesting outro, although I personally like the final explosion.

Nice reports.

I love the sit down / stand up arguement. It always reminds me of and old SNL skit about it......It takes these people the whole skit to try to get the people in front of them to sit down (because everyone else is sitting)...then when they finally get them to sit down, someone goes DOMINO and everyone in the crowd goes crazy and stands up....I guess it was a van Morrison concert....classic skit.

Guest Speed Racer

Even if it's true, for the love of all things holy and good, please never describe any subsequent new songs as, 'It's kind of like Either Way'. Just please, don't.

Upon further reflection, in terms of describing the song, I would say it's sort of almost prog-ish sounding with a dose of Television thrown in. I think the song is probably still evolving a little bit in terms of how they're playing it live, but tonight Nels launched into his solo and then near the end, Jeff came in with a sort of counter solo of his own that sort of intertwined with Nels'. The first thing that went through my mind was Marquee Moon, except of course that it wasn't 10 minutes long. But it had that kind of feel to me.

Sounds amazing. I wish I had been there to hear it myself, but this is the next best thing. Thanks Paul!

"Even if it's true, for the love of all things holy and good, please never describe any subsequent new songs as, 'It's kind of like Either Way'.

"Either Way" is BEAUTIFUL.....it has a great, comforting, bluesy feel. I've got my fingers crossed it makes the cut for the next album.

(Just had to throw that in.)

Thanks all to the great, detailed show reviews in Canada!

Thanks for the reports. Sounds awesome, though don't seem to be making any dramatic, substantial changes in setlist.... (which if fine by me since they are so, so tight and make for great concert experience)

Can't wait to wake up every morning after a show and read the reports.

:cheekkiss

Yesterday I attended my first Wilco show and, as I am sure you can imagine, it was fantastic and well worth the 6 hr drive. This is my first entry to the Wilco fansites and I thought I would add to some of the things posted re: the show. As for the new song, I thought I would help describe it for you fans.

"Even if it's true, for the love of all things holy and good, please never describe any subsequent new songs as, 'It's kind of like Either Way'.

"Either Way" is BEAUTIFUL.....it has a great, comforting, bluesy feel. I've got my fingers crossed it makes the cut for the next album.

(Just had to throw that in.)

Thanks all to the great, detailed show reviews in Canada!

Top of my list for the new album also, I love that song!

Maybe the sun will SHIIIIIIIIIIINE today!

Edited by mchchef1
Even if it's true, for the love of all things holy and good, please never describe any subsequent new songs as, 'It's kind of like Either Way'. Just please, don't.

Could be worse, could have been "kind of like On & On & On". ;)

Thanks to the people striving to give us a feel for the new song and for the reviews.

I like Either Way, even with instrumentation that I'm not completely in love with, because it wouldn't take much to fix it. I don't know what On & On & On needs, it's like nails on a chalkboard. Maybe with a warmer production (think Lonely 1 on Being There) and a less dull piano section it'd sound better but as-is, eek.

I agree, there was a lot of great energy at the show in Edmonton, despite the fact that we were sitting. I wish Jeff had talked more, though, he's always so funny live. I wished they would play something from A.M., but I guess they've moved away from the country sound and don't really want to revisit it. The second encore was really great...so good to hear those Mermaid Avenue songs! It was also great that a bunch of us were able to stand up by the stage for the 2nd encore. On that note - if you were the curly haired blonde girl in the yellow shirt that I was talking to during the 2nd encore then send me an email (I was the curly haired guy in the blue shirt)!

wilcoedmonton@gmail.com

Cheers,

The band was tighter tonight. Less joking around and more serious. Jeff didn't talk as much tonight as last night, but did say some humerous things. He had a way better outfit (green blazer and jeans) and looked a lot less tired. He sat down for part of one song on his spiffy new Wilco stool.

It was a completely different show as tonight there were theatre style seats. Last night it was standing only. Tonight the room was more subdued. Security made people sit in their seats until the end when everyone was standing. The veunue was 3/4 full, but I am sure that it is at least 3 times bigger than the one in Calgary. However, there was a lot of energy, even though we were sitting.