also, whoever said they hated Echo? i just said that save for a few songs it didn't hold my interest too much. i haven't really hated any Petty record.

and i like Cabin Down Below, was fun live in St. Paul

I don't think anyone said they hated Echo, but it is widely considered a flop for some reason. An old thread here was pretty negative towards it, much moreso than this thread.

Cabin Down Below probably makes a good live song (dumb songs always work better live than on record, especially when you have 20,000 drunk fans). I can't remember if he played it when I saw him on the Echo tour. On record, it's a song that I thought was fantastic the first time I heard it and terrible every time since.

While we are at it, Playback, the boxset, is a really good boxset.

I really must pick that up... I wonder if there's one for a half decent price on ebay...

Had another listen to the album last night - I'm sticking with my initial observation; it's good, but not great and I'm definitely disappointed with the production and "feel" of it, there's not quite enough GO in the record for me...

I really must pick that up... I wonder if there's one for a half decent price on ebay...

Had another listen to the album last night - I'm sticking with my initial observation; it's good, but not great and I'm definitely disappointed with the production and "feel" of it, there's not quite enough GO in the record for me...

I agree. After 5 or so listens this disc iseems no way as strong as the rest of his catalog. I hope time and more listens with prove me wrong.

Like most "normal" people, I have not heard this (as it's not in stores until next Tuesday)....and must admit I'm not overly crazed to hear it.

But I do like Tom Petty and will be watching him on:

Jay Leno. Thursday, July 20. Leno's site on NBC even says which song he'll play.

It is good but I don't think it is as good as those. I must be the only one in the world who loved Last DJ and Echo! The final track on Last DJ is just fantastic.

The Last DJ rules! Great album. My only critisism of the album is the 12-string into to the first song. Everything after that is awesome.

Like most "normal" people, I have not heard this (as it's not in stores until next Tuesday

I would bet "normal" now is actually downloading instead of going to a store to purchase music. Look at the sales figuers for the last Springsteen or Chili Peppers discs. I'd bet the people that downloaded those discs instead of purchasing them is double that. I'm not saying it's right, just the way it is these days.

I'm glad I downloaded the Chili's record - made me realise it was shite before I had to spend my well earned cash on it... As for Springsteen, I bought it after enjoying what I heard.

That's how I'm using downloading; try before you buy - just means bands/artists/labels need to release better records.

I can't wait to get this next week.

I thought Last DJ was pretty bad minus a few songs, but absolutely LOVE Echo. Still, nothing touches Wildflowers for me, but it's all a matter of opinion.

As long as we can all agree that Petty still rocks, I'm cool.

Other than that, I have nothing to contribute here.