You all listen to any other Chicago bands? I for one love Umphrey's McGee and have always been a big Pumpkins fan. I can't think of many others that have gotten very popular though. I think a few of the dudes from Yonder Mountain String Band are from Chicago, that's about it though.

There are tons of great bands in Chicago (does that include Fall Out Boy?? :lol Kanye West???). We have every type of music represented here so listing bands would be pretty hard. Depends on what you like really. How about some genres you like or are we talking only indie rock?

LouieB

I guess I was talking more about popular bands. I have no problem adding Kanye to the list, but I don't want to rep Fall Out Boy being from Chicago. I know there's a ton of great smaller bands from Chicago, any locals that I should check out? I only moved here a few months ago.

I guess I was talking more about popular bands. I have no problem adding Kanye to the list, but I don't want to rep Fall Out Boy being from Chicago. I know there's a ton of great smaller bands from Chicago, any locals that I should check out? I only moved here a few months ago.
OHHH...in that case you are in for some treats then.

I would definitely join some of the gang here on Saturday for the return of The Blacks...at the Empty Bottle.

Catch Healthy White Baby and Autumn Defense next weekend at Martyrs. Go just about any night to the Hideout but Devil in a Woodpile plays Tuesdays there. Join us next Tuesday for Von Freeman or go to Josh Caterer's show next Tuesday at Schubas.

Look for some of the gigs by Bloodshot Records bands (Waco Brothers, Dollar Store), see Andrew Bird if he ever comes back to a club. Jason Molina is good.

There is more fun shit to do here, both with local and traveling bands than you can possibly ever do.

LouieB

Guest Jules

Smoking Popes

I really like the Detholz! and NYCO. The Detholz! are Devo/Talking Heads-ish, and they can put on a hell of a show. They play the Empty Bottle a lot, which is a great sounding venue.

NYCO is more standard rock and roll, with very catchy melodies. Both bands sound incredible, and it's a miracle they're not more popular.

Edited by Groo
Smoking Popes
Yup..see my post above...Josh is playing Tuesday. He was spectacular last Tuesday. I am always amazed at what a vocalist he is and what a terrific songwriter. He sang a new song that was far better than I expected.

LouieB

Eleventh Dream Day is a great old band. I hear the Office is a good band too.

LouieB

OHHH...in that case you are in for some treats then.

I would definitely join some of the gang here on Saturday for the return of The Blacks...at the Empty Bottle.

Catch Healthy White Baby and Autumn Defense next weekend at Martyrs. Go just about any night to the Hideout but Devil in a Woodpile plays Tuesdays there. Join us next Tuesday for Von Freeman or go to Josh Caterer's show next Tuesday at Schubas.

Look for some of the gigs by Bloodshot Records bands (Waco Brothers, Dollar Store), see Andrew Bird if he ever comes back to a club. Jason Molina is good.

There is more fun shit to do here, both with local and traveling bands than you can possibly ever do.

LouieB

Wow, thanks for the info. I'm going to be at the Wicker Park fest Saturday afternoon so I might head over to the Empty Bottle after that for The Blacks.

Not from Chicago, and can't rep local bands. BUT I will throw in a heavy voucher for Califone. One of the best bands around IMO. If you haven't heard them, think Yankee Hotel Foxtrot on a second hit of acid. I think one reviewer described them as "The Flaming Lips playing the Anthology Of American Folk Music". Which is a great description of their music.

You all listen to any other Chicago bands? I for one love Umphrey's McGee.

Sorry, they are from Indiana. They moved to Chicago after playing together for a few years. They wanted to become known as Chicago hipsters.....Indiana is not nearly as cool.

Oh ya.....and by the way Umphrey's McGee sucks.

Oh ya.....and by the way Umphrey's McGee sucks.
Yea, but Glenn opened for them a few times recently.

Califone is a cool Chicago band too.....they haven't been playing much lately.

LouieB

Califone is a cool Chicago band too.....they haven't been playing much lately.

LouieB

I agree.....One of my favorite bands.

I first saw Tim Rutili with Red, Red Meat in 93. I really like what he has been doing with Califone. I look forward to their next album. I wish Califone toured more, I got a chance to talk with Tim during their last stop in Madison.....seemed like a really strange guy.

As far as other Chicago bands.....I know he is not originally from Chicago.....but, he lives there now.....What about Jason Molina? I really dig Magnolia Electric Co. 'What Comes After the Blues' is a perfect album.

As far as other Chicago bands.....I know he is not originally from Chicago.....but, he lives there now.....What about Jason Molina? I really dig Magnolia Electric Co. 'What Comes After the Blues' is a perfect album.
yea, I mentioned him...he is certainly gaining lots of popularity here.

For all those who want something different, there is a house fest this weekend on Northerly Island....that could be fun....

LouieB

i want to move to chicago.

Sure come on....I encourage everyone.

Really we have just barely scratched the surface of what goes on here. There is about anything you could want or see here and the cost of living isn't too high (though not as cheap as it used to be.) The wild thing is just the weekend and city planned fests are enough to keep one hopping all summer, not to mention the commercial fests (don't forget Pitchfork is next weekend), a great club scene and plenty of stuff to do in between.

LouieB

I really like The Ike Reilly Assassination. I've never seem them live but their record "Sparkle In The Finish" is fabulous.

http://www.ikereilly.com/index.htm

How could I forget Ike?? I know the guy personally and he is every bit as good live as on CD (and loud). I think Salesman and Racists is better, but all his CDs have merit and he is a very fun performer with a crack band.

LouieB

How could I forget Ike?? I know the guy personally and he is every bit as good live as on CD (and loud). I think Salesman and Racists is better, but all his CDs have merit and he is a very fun performer with a crack band.

LouieB

I hope to catch them next time they play Chicago. When I listen to "Sparkle In The Finish" my legs can't stop moving.....and I don't even like to dance!

Speaking of Chicago, my band (from Minneapolis) is trying to get a show or two there. As of right now, we are playing in Eau Claire on Sept 20th, and Milwaukee on the 23rd...we'd like to play the 21st & 22nd in Chicago (Thursday & Friday) We've contacted a few clubs (including the Hideout) but haven't heard anything back as of yet. Anybody got any leads?

Also, speaking of Ike Reilly, we opened for him in St Paul last month...we just started playing shows in May, and have so far played at the Terminal Bar, 400 Bar, Big V's and Station 4...and have shows booked at the 7th St Entry, Hexagon Bar & Turf Club in the near future.

anyway, if anybody could point me in the direction of a good band and/or club to hook up with, that'd be great.....btw, we're not looking for a huge gig or anything. we'd be happy just getting gas money and some free drinks.

you can check out some demo songs here: www.myspace.com/westernfifth

Our EP will be out in early September

Thanks

Ryan

I hope to catch them next time they play Chicago. When I listen to "Sparkle In The Finish" my legs can't stop moving.....and I don't even like to dance!
Yea, plus his songs are so damn witty and a bit profane...not a bad combo.

LouieB