Decemberists Fall Dates and Album News

The tracklisting for the next Decemberists record which has been predetermined to hit the racks of discriminating record shops, e- and otherwise, on October 3rd of this year, bearing the title The Crane Wife. Here it is:

1. The Crane Wife 3

2. The Island

-Come and See

-The Landlord's Daughter

-You'll Not Feel the Drowning

3. Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then)

4. O Valencia!

5. The Perfect Crime #2

6. When the War Came

7. Shankill Butchers

8. Summersong

9. The Crane Wife 1 & 2

10. Sons and Daughters

As per tradition, the Decemberists will be hitting the road for an extensive Trans-National (meaning: U.S. and Canada) tour starting in the fair city of Portland, Oregon, on October 17th. Complete dates are as follows:

08-23 Seattle, WA - Woodland Park Zoo

08-26 Salem, OR - Oregon State Fair (Pet Aid 2006) *

10-17 Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom #

10-18 Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom #

10-19 San Francisco, CA - Warfield Theater #

10-21 Los Angeles, CA - The Wiltern #

10-22 Tucson, AZ - Rialto Theater #

10-24 Austin, TX - Stubb's #

10-25 Dallas, TX - Gypsy Ballroom #

10-26 New Orleans, LA - House of Blues #

10-27 Atlanta, GA - Tabernacle #

10-29 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club #

10-30 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club #

10-31 Northampton, MA - Calvin Theater #

11-01 Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory #

11-03 New York, NY - Hammerstein Ballroom $

11-04 Boston, MA - Orpheum Theater $

11-05 Montreal, Quebec - Metropolis $

11-04 Toronto, Ontario - Kool Haus $

11-07 Pontiac, MI - Clutch Cargo $

11-09 Cleveland, OH - Agora Theater $

11-10 Columbus, OH - Lifestyle Communities Pavilion $

11-11 Chicago, IL - Riviera Theater $

11-12 Minneapolis, MI - First Avenue $

11-14 Denver, CO - Paramount Theater $

11-16 Missoula, MT - Wilma Theater $

11-17 Seattle, WA - Paramount Theater $

11-18 Vancouver, British Columbia - Commodore Ballroom $

* with Violent Femmes, Cake

# with Lavender Diamond

$ with Alasdair Roberts

Pre-sale tickets will be available through the decemberists.com website on August 1st. Only a limited amount of these tickets will be available, which will be offered free of most of those crazy Ticketmaster surcharges with one hot dollar of the proceeds going to a charity.

I'm not too happy that they're starting to play assigned-seated theaters. Hopefully The Calvin in Northampton will open up a GA section in front like they did for Wilco.

Wow, the Decemberists have graduated to the Riv....

LouieB

I was thinking the same thing, but with a NY flavor.

Webster Hall last go-round -- 1400 capacity.

Hammerstein Ballroom this time -- 2500 capacity.

Good for them. Bad for me. :)

I'm not too happy that they're starting to play assigned-seated theaters. Hopefully The Calvin in Northampton will open up a GA section in front like they did for Wilco.

The first time I saw the Decemberists, they were playing a small club called Luther's Blues. I had narrowly missed them the previous year at a coffee house called Catacombs. The next time they'd graduated to the Barrymore, and finally the last time they were here they played the Orphuem. And now they've finally graduated to skipping Madison altogether. :no

guess i should be lucky they're still @ First Ave here, but unless the album bowls me over, i'm not up for spending $20 to see 'em. i didn't even go last time at First Ave.

'Tis a pity. I've seen them live twice and have absolutely loved it each time. They're the only band that even comes close to Wilco's live show in my book. But hey, if you're not a big fan, I totally understand the not wanting to spend the $$ on a ticket.

What pisses me off about this tour schedule is that they're playing Chicago, Columbus, and Cleveland but they're not coming down here to Cincy. For shame...

i've seen them 3 times, all for like $8-14 or so. 400 Bar twice and Fine Line, the first 400 Bar show (for Her Majesty) was fantastic, the 2nd one was decent, and the Fine Line show they totally got their ass handed to them by Okkervil River.

it doesn't help that i found the last record to be a bit of a let down from the previous 2 (still had some great songs though)

imo they're not even in the same REALM as Wilco, but then again i don't think Wilco are in some super high tier echelon really either...

i think i'm just kinda tired of The Decemberists' schtick... and not to be all "OMG IM OLD SCHOOL", but i honestly prefer Tarkio's sound to The Decemberists sometimes. i'll always support Colin though, us Montanans gotta stick together :)

They're holding steady in DC: they played 930 Club last time, and they're playing 930 Club again (GA).

The Decemberists were kind of good-enough/meh a couple of times that I saw them, and totally great a couple more times. Which makes me wonder if I should brave the 15-year-olds in order to see them again.

Good gods, the Riv. I remember the first time I saw them a little over 2 years ago at Schubas.

:no

4260da7b.jpg

Kyle, I'm with ya completely though on not being crazy about Picaresque. One thing giving me hope is that supposedly that album was written before the Tain, which I love. Colin has mentioned the new one should be more Tain like. I'm not giving up hope yet. The Riv is fine, as long as you have all day to wait out in front for the good spots.

Which makes me wonder if I should brave the 15-year-olds in order to see them again.

Yeah, I have often wondered about this. What's with all the 15-year-old fans? I am getting old (30), but Decemberists concerts make me feel a little too old.