I would avoid Rhett's solo stuff, that is, unless you are a 17 year old girl and think he's dreamy.

that's crap. there are some good songs on those records.

(and frankly, i don't think he's "dreamy", nor am i 17)

(and frankly, i don't think he's "dreamy", nor am i 17)

not even a little dreamy?

mock all you want. asshat. this is the reason i quit coming here. bye bye.

Jeeze, what's with the rage and teenage angst?

I would avoid Rhett's solo stuff, that is, unless you are a 17 year old girl and think he's dreamy.

i would tend to agree. I enjoy the instigator, but believer is a train wreck. alive & wired is lifeless...seek out any of thier older live shows making the torrent rounds. thier first five albums were in daily rotation for me for years.

i'd rank them:

wreck your life

hitchhike to rhome

too far to care

fight songs

Satellite Rides

ultimately a best of the old 97s would cover all the bases, and I imagine will be thier ultimate legacy.

if I never heard question again in this lifetime I might start to believe god is actually listening

Edited by gershon
  • 2 years later...
Guest Speed Racer

God, I love the Old 97's - some of my favorite songs to play on guitar. Everything pre-Drag It Up is shockingly awesome.

Wilco writes love songs I wish were true for me, and the Old 97's write love songs that accurately reflect the trouble I get myself into. The last relationship I was in, I realized I had been listening to "Makin' Love With You" daily before I got out of it; these days I've been playing a lot of "Bird in a Cage," "Four Leaf Clover" and "Stoned."

I think it's a damned shame Rhett starting writing like he wanted to get himself on the cover of Tiger Beat, but I swear Murray could cooo behind the hum of a toaster and my heart would melt.

barrier reef is an all-time top-50 song for me

I agree, as is Time Bomb. Time Bomb's guitar and propulsive beat grab me by the lapels and don't let go every time that I hear it.

Fight Songs, Satelite Rides and Too Far too Care all get heavy rotation around here. Those three albums to me are the best and some of my all-time faavorites and my wife likes them. My wife really, really, really likes the solo albums but they're not for me. I would classify the solo albums as chick rock.

• 4 months later...

Rhettt and Murray interview (No Depression.com)

Wreck Your Life 2-LP reissue

RM: Bloodshot is doing a reissue of “Wreck Your Life” and it’s a vinyl double album…

MH: Oh really?

RM: The record on one, and then the bonus tracks, seven-inches, “Crying but My Tears Are Far Away” and all that stuff on the second album. There’s a lot of art work. Somebody wrote liner notes for it, and it’s really well-written. That was a moment in time.

MH: We didn’t necessarily become exactly what they wanted us to become, but who ever does?

I first heard Wreck Your Life when I was 15 (same year I discovered Son Volt, Wilco and Slobberbone) and I caught the 97s a bunch of times in high school/college. I'd rank their albums this way...

1. Wreck Your Life

2. Too Far To Care

3. Early Tracks ep

4. Fight Songs/ Hitchhike to Rhome (tie)

5. Satellite Rides

6. Drag It Up

7. Blame It On Gravity (If you thought Drag It Up sucked, try this stinker...)

Rhett went downhill as a songwriter a couple years after moving to LA if you ask me, but if you avoid his solo albums and stick to the early stuff you'll hear some great music. Murray Hammond's solo album is a thing of beauty, though...