Ty Pennington Ain't Nothin' but a Bitch

yeah, something about carpet in a bathroom really brings out the anxiety case in me. i would be super scared of mold, toilet overflow, and if you are ever too close to being asleep in your middle of the night urinations you might "miss" and hit your brand new berber.

also, make sure your wallpaper doesn't just peel off before you spend $$ on chemicals.

Tile, tile tile. But get something bigger than 3X3 (12X12 worked for us), and rent a wet saw (and earplugs). The wet saw, though messy - use it outside - was remarkably easy to use.

Actually, the tiles I used were 3" white octagons with 1" blue squares (diamonds) in between. But they had a mesh backing that held them together in a 4 x 4 pattern, which gave you a 12" set of tiles that were all in one piece. I realize I'm not explaining it very well, but it will make sense when you're in the store Kev.

Here's a link on how to install tile. Don't do what I did and put the adhesive on too thick. It took almost a week for the tiles to finally set!

BTW, there is still an old bottle of some cologne called British Steel left by the previous owner in said medicine cabinet...we never use it and it just seems wrong to move it. What should I do with it?

Drink it. Problem solved, and you'll be smelling of roses for days.

While professionalism has provided a sobering influence, rugby union culture is still closely associated with alcohol-induced bravado. Perhaps the most notorious example occurred at the match banquet after England beat France in Paris in 1982. Next to each player's place at the table was a complimentary bottle of cologne. England lock Maurice Colclough, however, saw no need for the aftershave, so emptied the flask and refilled it with wine, which he then drained. Seeing only Colclough sink a bottle of what he thought was cologne and not wishing to be outdone, team-mate Colin Smart followed suit. Within an hour he was on his way to hospital to have his stomach pumped, although as scrum-half Steve Smith pointed out: 'He may have been unwell, but Colin had the nicest breath I've smelt.'
BTW, there is still an old bottle of some cologne called British Steel left by the previous owner in said medicine cabinet...we never use it and it just seems wrong to move it. What should I do with it?

I moved into my house and found I had become the proud owner of a plastic Jesus embossed light switch that said "Bless this house oh Lord we pray etc etc". There was no way I was messing with THAT mojo -- it sits on my mantle next to a mezzuzah.

TILE, large, definitely NOT white. I foolished tiled my studio with white. :fish

pics?

Maybe. Actually, a before/after of this bathroom would have been great before they ripped out the plumbing...pink toilet, pink sink, hot pink carpet and yellow wallpaper w/ pink flowers. That freaking cologne in the medicine cabinet was the only thing stopping that bathroom from growing tits and watching Oprah.

Yeah, we have white tile in our downstairs bathroom and it is a total bitch to keep clean. Looks like we'll go with tile upstairs, except something not so light.

Thanks for all the tips. Probably start working on everything this weekend.

We have white tile in our BR because we have the original (1929) purple/green combo tile up half the walls that is so endearing. :wub Really, it is.

So white was really our only choice, and through other trial/error, I found that it isn't the white tile that is so bad, but the mortar around that stains. If you do end up with white, use a nice gray mortar.

Maybe. Actually, a before/after of this bathroom would have been great before they ripped out the plumbing...pink toilet, pink sink, hot pink carpet and yellow wallpaper w/ pink flowers. That freaking cologne in the medicine cabinet was the only thing stopping that bathroom from growing tits and watching Oprah.

For as long as I've known her, my grandmother has had a thing for hot pink (as do I :blush ), and when we were kids, her upstairs bathroom was done in hot pink and black. Very cool, very whorehouse. :thumbup

A few years ago, we went to visit a cousin who now lives in Belfast. When we got there, his girlfriend said, "you won't believe how he decorated the bathroom..." It was a perfect Grandma-style black and hot pink! :w00t Totally fabulous.

Cool, but as neither of us are Grandmas, live in Belfast or Lance Bass...we're going to go with something a little more subtle.

It was pretty cute though. Our friend's 4-year-old daughter would always want to use the 'magic princess flower bathroom, whenver they came over.

Another thing to consider here regarding the walls--how old is your home? A couple issues you may want to be aware of that I ran into: (1) lead paint, and (2) can you peel back the paper enough to verify that there is good drywall underneath?

I had a wallpaper-removing project turn into a total nightmare on me when I stripped away about 5 layers of grotesque wallpaper only to find that my house was evidently built before people used "normal" drywall. :ermm Seriously, the walls underneath are this wood particle-boardish substance that is definitely not paint-ready. So my options were limited to (1) re-wallpaper, (2) paint over the wallpaper, or (3) bulldoze the #%$^@$ house and start from scratch. :lol