2054.jpg

In happier times.

`Jeopardy' Champ Ken Jennings Blasts Show

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: July 25, 2006

Filed at 3:40 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- ''Jeopardy!'' ace Ken Jennings, who won $2.5 million during his 74-game winning streak, has a few unkind words to say about the show -- and dapper host Alex Trebek.

''I know, I know, the old folks love him,'' Jennings writes in a recent posting, titled ''Dear Jeopardy!'' on his Web site.

''Nobody knows he died in that fiery truck crash a few years back and was immediately replaced with the Trebektron 4000 (I see your engineers still can't get the mustache right, by the way).''

Jennings also takes aim at the show's ''effete, left-coast'' categories and ''same-old'' format.

''You're like the Dorian Gray of syndication,'' he says. ''You seem to think `change' means replacing a blue polyethylene backdrop with a slightly different shade of blue polyethylene backdrop every presidential election or so.''

A call by The Associated Press to ''Jeopardy!'' spokesman Jeff Ritter was not immediately returned Tuesday.

Jennings, a software engineer from Salt Lake City, snagged 74 wins on ''Jeopardy!'' in 2004 before he was beaten by challenger Nancy Zerg.

Trebek, 66, has hosted the show since 1984. In a ''correction'' posted Monday on his Web site, Jennings offers an apology of sorts.

''We regret the insinuation that Mr. Alex Trebek is a robot, and has been since 2004. Mr. Trebek's robotic frame does still contain some organic parts, many harvested from patriotic Canadian schoolchildren, so this technically makes him a `cyborg,' not a `robot.'''

I know it may seem hypocritical of me to ask for you guys to take it easy in this thread, but Alex Trebek is my Dad's cousin, and he's going through a pretty difficult time right now. If you could refrain from making fun of him I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys.

Maybe more people would get the joke if it was funny.

I fixed it for you. Last thing I want is for someone to misinterpret what I typed. Who knows, maybe someone from the NY Post is lurking here.

As to the question at hand, Robot or Cyborg, I'll submit "neither." Trebek is, in fact, a douchebag. I TIVO and watch every one of the episodes (it's an addiction: two/day) and the guy comes off as a pretentious prick. He's often seemingly condescending and seems to gloat when folks can't answer a question. He's got the rhythm of the show down pat and is pretty good at his moderating duties, but cripes he's a ninny.

I know it may seem hypocritical of me to ask for you guys to take it easy in this thread, but Alex Trebek is my Dad's cousin, and he's going through a pretty difficult time right now. If you could refrain from making fun of him I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys.

As to the question at hand, Robot or Cyborg, I'll submit "neither." Trebek is, in fact, a douchebag. I TIVO and watch every one of the episodes (it's an addiction: two/day) and the guy comes off as a pretentious prick. He's often seemingly condescending and seems to gloat when folks can't answer a question. He's got the rhythm of the show down pat and is pretty good at his moderating duties, but cripes he's a ninny.

:unsure

When I get on the show (insert crossing fingers smiley here) I am dedicating the "What is Uranus, Alex" response to Lammycat, just to put Trebek in his place.

Edited by MJHutch