Nels Cline and Glenn Kotche -- 7/29/06

Brianne has a nice summary of last night's show in Milwaukee on her blog, but I just wanted to post that, yes, Glenn did actually shave off his mustache onstage while playing finger chimes and with Nels simultaneously laying down some rad guitar grooves.

While I can't say that anything quite as surreal will happen at future shows (and considering how long it takes Glenn to grow facial hair, I somehow doubt it :P), I encourage as many of you as possible to catch one of their performances when they tour in September. Nels' 45-minute improv set is intense and Glenn is always fun to watch and when they get together, who knows exactly what will happen? :ninja

The "together" portion of the show last night was probably what I was most looking foward to and it certainly didn't disappoint with a cover of Sonic Youth's "Karen Koltrane" and a Nels composition entitled, I believe, "Caved-In Heart Blues," sandwiched around the facial grooming. :thumbup

It was a fascinating show. I has goosebumps when Glenn introduced the crickets as background musicians.

I was nearly as pleased that no one in the audience called out for "Moby Dick" or "Play some Wilco." A very respectful crowd that came to hear two fine musicians demonstrate their craft.

I had tickets for this, but didn't go... Three hours prior to the show, I was still driving home after four days of wedding festivities in Minneapolis, and after six hours on the road, I wasn't feeling up to spending another hour driving for a show. I will regret this, I'm sure.

It really was an excellent, unique show. I was hoping to see some familiar Wisconsin faces, but I didn't really notice anyone I knew besides the fine folks I came with and the men onstage. Anyone who hasn't been to the Pabst, I suggest you visit it sometime. Though the last time I was there was probably a school field trip, I was favorably impressed. And LouieB would have been pleased with the audience.

If Nels and Glenn are coming to a town near you and you're up for some great, interesting music, I highly suggest you check it out.

you do NOT merge onto 94 East in 0.1 miles. Instead you loop back around, get onto 55 East, stop at the sketchiest gas station ever for directions, and find out the real way to 94 East. Maybe that's what Mapquest meant.

Brianne, I was just reading your blog and laughed out loud... my wife and I were in the Twin Cities yesterday--for her brother's wedding--and as we tried to follow the Mapquest directions to 94 East, the exact same thing happened to us! I think we even stopped at that same gas station... :D

Brianne, I was just reading your blog and laughed out loud... my wife and I were in the Twin Cities yesterday--for her brother's wedding--and as we tried to follow the Mapquest directions to 94 East, the exact same thing happened to us! I think we even stopped at that same gas station... :D

:lol That's hilarious! There should be a PSA about this.

Wish I'd seen you last night, Eric. Next time...

Is this true? Did he use shaving cream?

Yes and yes!

Is this a nice venue?

It's a really nice venue. Pretty posh for all the GA rock shows it seems to host. I don't know how a real GA lineup works there, since there seem to be about a million entrances (from the parking garage, from an attached theater, etc.) but I enjoyed it.

Is this a nice venue? I'm seeing M. Ward there in September, just trying to get a feel for it.

It's a terrific venue--intimate, comfortable, well-maintained. My wife and I will be at the M. Ward show, too!