Jeff Parker/Nels Cline Quartet

anyone else happen to catch them this weekend? i got there a few minutes after their set began and got a good spot off to the left side of the stage where i could see perfectly. i am not too familiar with nel's work but after this weekend will definitely be checking it out. nice to see nels and glenn will be through columbus this september. it was nice seeing john hanging out behind the stage as well as glenn talking to one of the guitarists from the national. i wasn't able to catch glenn's set later in the day because i wanted to be right up front for yo la tengo so i had to wait by one of the main stages while glenn was playing. overall great weekend though.

Although they only got through about 2/3 of Turning Point due to time constraints, I thought they were a lot tighter than at the Empty Bottle last December (I think it was December). Nels said they actually had time to rehearse, so that helps explain it! Besides Nels and Jeff, I think the rhythm section of bassist Nate McBride and drummer Frank Rosaly is really solid and fun to watch.

If the little feature in a recent Time Out Chicago is any indication, it sounds like they might record a full performance of Turning Point sometime, which would be great. :thumbup

do they always cover that album in its entirety? what else has nels been known to play?

that's what that particular band has done because i think it's what brought them together in the first place.

as far as nels in general, it's all over the map. he's played a ton of his own compositions with various bands that he leads/has led like the nels cline singers and nels cline trio. he also plays in a bunch of other projects with people, like banyan with stephen perkins and mike watt as well as in scott amendola's band and in various projects with carla bozulich, among others. when he plays solo, it's often an improv set. he's also done a few improv shows with jon brion (i know i would be taken to task if i neglected to mention that :D). i'd recommend the most recent singers record, the giant pin, as well as a record called destroy all nels cline as good starting points.

i believe the next nels-related release is going to be a tribute record to the great pianist andrew hill (with a show in san francisco in late october in which a nels-led band is going to open for hill!)

that's what that particular band has done because i think it's what brought them together in the first place.

it's worth mentioning that Pitchfork was only the 2nd time this quartet has played together.

GTurner, I have a ton of Nels' stuff (solo and otherwise) I could throw a mix together if you'd like.

GTurner, I have a ton of Nels' stuff (solo and otherwise) I could throw a mix together if you'd like.

that would be fantastic if you could do that. i am always in awe watching him play and haven't really made an effort to seek out some of his material for some reason. i am going to see what i can find via torrents and local record store but a mix would be awesome. thanks a bunch.

On a related, note, have any of you guys heard "4 Guitars Live"? Its a live recording of Nels playing with Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo, and Carlos Giffoni (a recent jim orourke collaborator). I just picked it up the other day, its cool but is almost 45 minutes of just noise. Anyone else heard it?

On a related, note, have any of you guys heard "4 Guitars Live"? Its a live recording of Nels playing with Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo, and Carlos Giffoni (a recent jim orourke collaborator). I just picked it up the other day, its cool but is almost 45 minutes of just noise. Anyone else heard it?

yes. it's pretty awesome stuff. and for something of Nels' that's completely different from that, you should check out the Acoustic Guitar Trio.

and for something of Nels' that's completely different from that, you should check out the Acoustic Guitar Trio.

I have a few live recordings (probably the same ones that everyone else has) that I should get around to torrenting one of these days. One of them is Nels' solo acoustic show from Pasadena a few years back. Good stuff.

it's worth mentioning that Pitchfork was only the 2nd time this quartet has played together.

What are some of your favorite (4-5) records of his? Dude has so much music I have no idea where to begin.

What are some of your favorite (4-5) records of his? Dude has so much music I have no idea where to begin.

Nels Cline: Angelica, which is the earliest album of his I can find

Nels Cline Trio: 4 albums I've been digging, Silencer, Chest, Ground, and Sad

and w/ Mike Watt: Contemplating the Engine Room

these all give a good a example/range of what the guy can do. he totally rocks on the Watt album, Angelica is straight ahead jazz, and the trio albums are jazzy with some experimenting going on (but not enough to make you say, "WTF is this noise?")

I've been busy as hell at comicon, tomorrow is the last day, so I should be able to get that mix done either tomorrow night or monday.

Some pics I took at the fest with my new digital camera can be found here. I think Devendra Banhart's band may be giving My Morning Jacket a run for their money in the "Who's the real life Stillwater?" race.

if anyone's interested, here's the Nels mix I made

Nels Cline Mix

track listing, with the artists/band names in parenthesis followed by the title of the album the track appears on.

1 Remember Me (Carla Bozulich) Red Headed Stranger

2 Square King (The Nels Cline Singers) The Giant Pin

3 Mars (Nels Cline And Gregg Bendian) Interstellar Space Revisited

4 Ghost Bell Canto (Nels Cline/Wally Shoup/Chris Corsano)Immolation/Immersion

5 Bath (Nels Cline Trio) Chest

6 Bobb Le Jardinier (Nels Cline + Devin Sarno) Rise Pumpkin Rise

7 Squeeze Toy (Acoustic Guitar Trio) Acoustic Guitar Trio

8 The Bluejackets' Manual (Mike Watt) Contemplating the Engine Room

9 The Lund (Nels Cline) Angelica

10 Burnt Klubgirl Lid Tone (Nels Cline & Thurston Moore) Pillow Wand

11 Progression (Destroy All Nels Cline) Destroy All Nels Cline

Nels Cline: Angelica, which is the earliest album of his I can find

Nels Cline Trio: 4 albums I've been digging, Silencer, Chest, Ground, and Sad

and w/ Mike Watt: Contemplating the Engine Room

these all give a good a example/range of what the guy can do. he totally rocks on the Watt album, Angelica is straight ahead jazz, and the trio albums are jazzy with some experimenting going on (but not enough to make you say, "WTF is this noise?")

These are all really good suggestions. I'd throw in both of the Nels Cline Singers cds. Angelica is his first album released under his name. It's out of print, but probably easily downloaded. Another early release he played on that's worth hearing is Tim Berne's 7X, which is also out of print. I was lucky to find those on vinyl after a good bit of searching. The Nels Cline Trio releases are all pretty easy to find (except for Ground, which I had trouble finding) even though some of them are out of print.

The Inkling is a great one if you want to hear some mellower tunes.

Edited by jff