I enjoyed his first album, went to see him in Dallas once. It was a pretty good show, but after awhile the songs just seemed duplicative.

I had put him away into the "hoped would be a new great thing but fizzled..." category. Any reason I should re-assess?

He still remains one of my favorites. I don't find him boring at all.

I saw him open for Semisonic back right as Musicforthemorningafter came out and was blown away.

I'll be getting his new one next week when it comes out.

i really like his albums. never seen him live, but will this friday. he may be boring, i don't know, but his recorded stuff is cool.

i think his voice is great actually. i like it lot better than Sufjan or m. ward, who has a weird nat king cole like sound to it. i just cringe when i hear sufjan's precious wimpy voice.

Guest Jules
I saw him during the musicforthemorningafter tour at the Riviera in Chicago. It was alright. It's almost like he dialed in the performance though. Nothing exciting, but tons of hot women.

Agreed. I was almost ready to buy in based on the album until I went to that show. The only redeeming quality was the drummer, who was great.

The only redeeming quality was the drummer, who was great.
Funny you should mention this, after posting in this thread earlier I was thinking back to the show and seemed to remember his drummer being really awesome also.
it's my opinion dude. you don't have to act like your the chief arbiter of what is and what is not good music. you like m. ward's voice, but i don't. does that make me wrong?

who said i was?

christ, don't get your panties in a wad...

neither Pete or Matt have "pretty voices" and i can see why someone would get into Pete's voice easier than Matt's (it's easier to digest for sure), but Pete's straining voice just has always bugged me. Matt's voice is timeless imo, much like Neko Case.

and Matt is right, you can sure think that, and that is your opinon... (it's just the wrong one ;))

Pete is talented, but imo he should stick to producing

who said i was?

christ, don't get your panties in a wad...

neither Pete or Matt have "pretty voices" and i can see why someone would get into Pete's voice easier than Matt's (it's easier to digest for sure), but Pete's straining voice just has always bugged me. Matt's voice is timeless imo, much like Neko Case.

and Matt is right, you can sure think that, and that is your opinon... (it's just the wrong one ;))

Pete is talented, but imo he should stick to producing

I don't care really...it's just that there are a core group of artists on this board that people find untouchable and beyond comment, but when someone mentions an artist or group that may not fit into a certain mold, the insults start rolling in...

i've learned about a lot of new artists on this board, and people seem to have a vast knowledge of music not heard in the mainstream, but sometimes the snobbery is a little annoying.

well i think it should be no surprise to you that people are going to diss on Pete Yorn...

it'd be no different than posting about the Wallflowers imo...

and honestly i don't think there's much snobbery on this board at all, at least not compared to other forums i frequent