I'm starting to have doubts...

about this guy that says he killed JonBenet Ramsey.

link

UPDATE: A New Rush to Judgment in Ramsey Case?

By E&P Staff

Published: August 17, 2006 1:15 PM ET

NEW YORK Is the press going overboard in its coverage of the latest twist in the JonBenet Ramsey murder case -- and suggesting, too early, that the suspect suddenly in custody, John Karr, is guilty?

An Associate Press dispatch late this afternoon raised questions which is ssaid "led some to wonder whether Karr was the answer to the long-unsolved slaying or a disturbed wannabe trying to insert himself into a high-profile case."

Earlier, the front page headline in New York's Daily News today read: "SOLVED." The main arrest story in Denver's Rocky Mountain News opened: "The decade-long search for JonBenet Ramsey's killer came to a startling end in Thailand on Wednesday."

The same paper, in a headline over an editorial, declared, "Arrest is warning against rush to judgment." It meant the wide belief that one of the girl's parents may have killed her -- but the same might soon be said about the early media coverage of the Karr arrest.

Investigators in Thailand told the Associated Press today that Karr has made several dubious statements to them, including claims that he picked JonBenet up from school the day she was killed and that he drugged her. Actually, she was on Christmas vacation at the time, and there was no evidence of drugs in her body during the autopsy.

Much of the media has downplayed assertions by Karr's ex-wife that he was with her in Alabama at the time of the murder.

Boston University journalism professor Fred Bayles, a longtime national writer for The Associated Press and USA Today -- among other subjects, he covered the O.J. Simpson murder probe -- told E&P today: "The latest chapter in the JonBenet case offers a journalistic cautionary for both the past and the future.

I'm not saying that at all. I'm not sure it was the dad or any family member. but there are family members of his that say he was with them that Christmas Eve. they say he was obsessed with her and this could be a fantasy. it's all going to be left up to the DNA left in her underwear and under her fingernails. if it doesn't match, then it's just a fake confession.

I'm not saying that at all. I'm not sure it was the dad or any family member. but there are family members of his that say he was with them that Christmas Eve. they say he was obsessed with her and this could be a fantasy. it's all going to be left up to the DNA left in her underwear and under her fingernails. if it doesn't match, then it's just a fake confession.

assuming the Boulder cops still have the evidence and maintained proper procedures for chain of custody and the requisite evidentiary thread . . .

if the DNA comes back negative, the media are going to look like fucking assholes, like they don't already, and we are all their fools. at least I am. :no but also, the poor family would have to be devistated with false news and an arrest that may lead to nowhere.

I'm on crack though

duh.

assuming the Boulder cops still have the evidence and maintained proper procedures for chain of custody and the requisite evidentiary thread . . .

That's a good one.

The creep definitely is joslted in the head. He may know what happened and perhaps even been a peripheral party to the crime but from what we've gotten from the media it doesn't sound like his "confession" adds up.

I agree, Flick. His behaviour seems inconsistent with the psych. profile of a child killer.

Super creepy guy though.

he almost seems like he wishes he did it or has fantasized about it and wants to be notorious for the murder. it's just really odd. like I said, DNA should tell.

The real-world motive is that apparently he was facing life in a Thai prison. One might confess to any number of things to avoid that particular fate.

The creep got arrested in Bankok. For what?

I figure it must be something really bad and he does not want to rot in a jail there.

So he is coming up with this story for a free airline ticket.

I'm sure he'd tell them where Hoffa was buried too.

But that has been used too many times by other creeps.

He just wants out of that country.

Good thing the media doesn't actually have the power to convict and sentence. Yet.

If the cops had even the slightest idea what they were doing back when this case was still everyday news, they would have withheld some information from the media that only the killer would know (like anything really unique about the murder that someone wouldn't be able to just guess) so that a false confession could easily be spotted. I don't know if they did that or not, but if they did, they might not even have to wait for the DNA evidence to come back to debunk this.

Maybe O.J. can help them find the real killer.

If the cops had even the slightest idea what they were doing back when this case was still everyday news, they would have withheld some information from the media that only the killer would know (like anything really unique about the murder that someone wouldn't be able to just guess) so that a false confession could easily be spotted. I don't know if they did that or not, but if they did, they might not even have to wait for the DNA evidence to come back to debunk this.

I thought that's what happened... :unsure

For my own arrogance, I'd like to point out my post yesterday:

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?s=&...st&p=746714

I think that guy is 100% innocent and 110% off his rocker. He has studied this case for a long time and even wrote a paper about it in college so well that his professor told him he should write a book. I think he went insane and thinks he actually did it when in reality he had nothing to do with it.

It's just a gut feeling. I think he's obsessed with the case...has been for a long time...

All sorts of stuff coming out about this guy. Apparently married a 13 year old when he was 19, then married another teenager a few years later. He certainly seems to like the kiddies eh? The sick fuck.

She'd be 16, a sophomore or junior in high school.