What portion of your musical collection features rap?

I'd be less happy if I had allowed my tastes to stagnate right around the time Pseudo Echo and Mr. Mister were on my tape shelf. (Okay, bad example.)

Please, do tell what VHS tapes were sitting next to your VCR while you were rocking out to "Kyrie".

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hip-hop style just doesn't appeal to me.

I have to say I feel the exact same way. Every time I hear it, it's like fingernails on a blackboard. Some of the lyrics may be good, but a work must have some kind of melody and/or harmony for me to consider it "music." I hear little rap that fits that criteria, and what I have heard that fits the criteria is utterly unappealing to me, and bears too much resemblance to shlocky modern R & B.

And yes, I have tried to listen to Paul's Boutique. I could not get through one track of it from start to finish. I consider myself hopeless, and am totally cool with that.

I consider myself hopeless, and am totally cool with that.

Just because you don't dig something after trying it out, hardly makes you hopeless. Mr. H, do you dig on jazz at all? I have a handful of tunes based more around that than the R&B that you might dig...only if you'd be interested...and if you're not, it's all good.

that's pretty silly, maynard. how the hell you ever gonna' like something if you've never heard it for the first time? i mean, I get the whole time-crunch thing...i don't get around to checking out 75% of what gets posted on here because I just don't have time. but, i try to make some time whenver possible and the internets have made that a lot easier.

I've heard (and actively listened to) a bunch of rap over the years. I like Public Enemy, Beasties, and some others, mostly early stuff. I don't make time for it in my life, though. It comes into my life on it's own through background noise or whatever might be playing at a friend's house, and that's enough for me.

The only thing silly is that you think I've never heard rap. :lol Moron.

I'd say about 25% of my record collection is rap, maybe more. Haven't listened to much of late, though. Really became a big hip hop fan in 94-96 when I was in high school - with Southernplayalisticadillacmusik, ATLiens, and Soul Food all coming out (I'm from the ATL).

I always enjoy some Tribe, De La Soul, Outkast, the Roots crew, Blackalicious, J5, Dead Prez, Public Enemy, early Wu Tang, Rakim, Kool Keith, etc. DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist, too, if they count.

Some good hip hops shows I've seen: The Roots, Outkast, Talib Kweli, Busta Rhymes and the Flip Mode Squad, De La Soul.

Just because you don't dig something after trying it out, hardly makes you hopeless. Mr. H, do you dig on jazz at all? I have a handful of tunes based more around that than the R&B that you might dig...only if you'd be interested...and if you're not, it's all good.
Nope. I have a couple things like that already from Gil Scott Heron, and I pretty much employ the Skip button every time they come around. Thanks for the offer, though.
That comment had nothing to do w/ you ever hearing rap or not...you said off the bat you hear it as background noise. Thanks for weighing in though. Awesome.

Hearing music blasting from the cars that drive by when I walk down the street IS noise. It just happens to be rap 95% of the time that is blasting out of cars in Atlanta. That doesn't mean I've never actively listened to rap.

What did calling me "Maynard" have to do with?

Hearing music blasting from the cars that drive by when I walk down the street IS noise. It just happens to be rap 95% of the time that is blasting out of cars in Atlanta. That doesn't mean I've never actively listened to rap.

What did calling me "Maynard" have to do with?

Dude, I know...I never said you never actively listened to rap. Again, I was commenting on how weird it was, in general, to say that you wouldn't take the time away from things you know you'll enjoy to make time for something you don't know.

Calling you Maynard had notthing to do w/ anything...I was just goofing around...it's from a cream of wheat commercial where a kid tells his little brother that the COW is 'good stuff, maynard' or, if you want, it's slang for 'moron'. take your pick.

I had a Public Enemy cassette that got stolen out of my car in Philly sometime in the early 90's, and I have that Beastie Boys compilation that came out several years back. That's it.

with an excellent choice of using some boss Yoshitomo Nara in your avatar, you should have a lot more.

Again, I was commenting on how weird it was, in general, to say that you wouldn't take the time away from things you know you'll enjoy to make time for something you don't know.

But I do know. Just as I know that I don't like smooth jazz based on what Kenny G and Dave Koz were doing several years ago. I've heard enough to not have any interest in making attempts to force it. It's simply not aesthetically pleasing to me. Am I missing out on great stuff sometimes? Yes. Is there great music being made by people in Malaysia that I'll might never hear? Yes.

For me, genre doesn't matter as much as the instrument being played. Sometimes I want to hear guitars. Recently I was into violins. Before that I couldn't get enough of Wurlitzers and Rhodes pianos. As a youngster I was mostly into drums. What I listened to was determinbed by what had great drumming, whether it was Tony Williams, John Bonham or Zakir Hussein. (same holds true for guitar, violin, etc.) To me that seems to result in broader musical taste than sticking with rap and rock.

A ludicrous buddhist, boo this when I do this

So true to this, perpetrators view this

style, empirical, lyrical, it's critical

Three the hard way, boy you need medical attention

I'm like a surgeon in my left hand

hold a microphone like a scalpel so you understand

Wordz of wisdom, woven like a spider

Bitch on my tip, I get busy and I ride her

uptown, then I drown her like a psycho-pathic

cause I'm graphic on the mic I never let go

Light skinner eat dinner like a soul man

Prove with the rhyme I'm down, Sam's hands

transform strong (too strong) as a good pitch

switch up the wizdom, into word which

kicks out the Benzi in a frenzy it sends me

up the Bronx River back to Brooklyn apprehends me

like a d-tech bustin my man in the projects

I'll send you up North, I ain't givin respect

Prejudicial, your style artificial

As live as limb that's attached to a criple

It's simple (so simple) eliminate you like Gotti

I chill in Bed-Stuy and drive a Mazzeratti

With the body of a freak on my side, how am I livin?

(How ya livin?) Larger than large, with the wordz of wizdom

Pete Nice

Nice call w/ the Cactus Album. That album really got me into hip hop in the late 80s. My best friend used to dress up like Pete Nice (w/ the cane and everything) when we used to go out. I gotta find that cd.

Nice call w/ the Cactus Album. That album really got me into hip hop in the late 80s. My best friend used to dress up like Pete Nice (w/ the cane and everything) when we used to go out. I gotta find that cd.

We used to spin that thing constantly in college. Funny and totally hardcore at the same time...WAY before Eminem.

Since Wilco is about as far away from rap as you can get I am curious? What percentage of our collection is rap albums? Do you have a favorite rapper? Have you seen any rap concerts?

Well for me I just bought the new Jurrasic 5 Alubum...(only $6.99 at best buy :dancing ) It has its moments. Besides them I have all the Beastie Boys cds and that is it (So less than 5% for me!?) I have seen Run DMC (The original Lineup) and Busta Rhymes in concert. I also got to spend time with LL Cool J and Naughty by Nature (heh) They filmed a music video at my dads work! Anyways tell me your stories?! :music

Rap colection=0% i like it at 0% too :monkey

No idea where to put this so I guess its going here.

No joke -- I ran into Q-Tip in the Energy Kitchen on 17th street bet 8th and 9th Ave in NYC yesterday. He and I were the only two guys in the place. I thought it looked like him and then he whipped out his cell phone and started talking on it. Bam! Q-TIp talking on his cell phone 3 feet away from me.

I was thinking of dropping a line to the guy behind the checkout counter -- like not having money to pay and saying that I left my wallet in El Segundo, but then I figured that would be so lame. So I didnt say anything. I made eye contact with Q-Tip and I smiled at him. I think he knew I knew who he was.

That's probably my best celebrity sighting in NYC so far. Although I did see Mike Myers once and Pat Riley some other time. Simon Russell Beale too. Considering that Q-Tip was my idol from 1990 - 1993, I have to think that's my best sighting yet.

Rock and roll to the beat of the funk fuzz...