• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earlier this week the wife and I were at home, erm, cause we were "sick" and therefore unable to go to work *coughs "hangover"* and while flipping channels in the afternoon we came across the almighty Orpah (yes, I know, that's just the way I like to refer to her).

I don't know who Orpah is.

BTW, I don't understand the Oprah bashing. While she can be annoying and overbearing, she raised her game by not pandering to stars or going sleazy. She has helped millions of people in different ways. I fail to see how that is "bad".

didn't she kiss Tom's ass pretty hard until he completely went off the deep end? and she was all prepared to defend james frey until it was evident that it was fiscially a better move to sell him out? I call bullshit. Orca follows the smell of green; nothing more nothing ess

didn't she kiss Tom's ass pretty hard until he completely went off the deep end? and she was all prepared to defend james frey until it was evident that it was fiscially a better move to sell him out? I call bullshit. Orca follows the smell of green; nothing more nothing ess

And you have made no mistakes in your life? Pluueez. You didn't try to refute my statement that she has helped many many people. So while yes, she makes A LOT of dough, so do the traders in Greenwich CT who help no one but themselves and the real estate industry and contractors.

huh. I couldn't really care less about refuting anything. I was pointing out that she does in fact pander as it works for her. I think oprah is indicative of most of the things that are wrong with this country, including the fact that multitudes can't wipe their asses without seeing what TP she endorses. not looking to debate you on it. she's evil. period. plus she lives in chicago.

I think oprah is indicative of most of the things that are wrong with this country

I know I hate it when someone takes advantage of our capitalist society, makes something of themselves, becomes successful and then helps other people out. Hasnt she heard? This country is going to hell....I wish she would act like it.

I guess I fail to see how getting paid to give cars away and filling the audience with scripted sycophants actually meets the litmus test of helping people. there are actually zillions of wealthy people (some I even know in greenwich) who manage to get successful, help others all the while not requiring shoulder surgery from patting themselves on the back. she may do some good but to act like any criticism of her empire is unwarranted is silly.

I think her show has probably helped some people, but come on, this is an individual who created a magazine that features her, and her only, on the cover every freaking month. She'd need a camera crew to give a dollar to a homeless person at a street corner... :brow

She annoys the shit out of me, and is horribly overexposed, but she deserves more credit than some of you are giving her. She does give a shitload of money to a lot of charities. And yes, she's the first one to give herself a pat on the back (which is a big part of what makes her annoying), but at least she's doing it. Giving shit to her audience members doesn't mean anything to me, but she gives a lot more than just that.

Hey, this is America. Oprah produces products that people enjoy to such an extent that they've made her a very rich woman. Near as I can tell, nobody's gotten cancer watching too much of her show or reading too much of her magazine. If one doesn't dig it, then one can turn the channel or read something else.

From Business Week (albeit 2004), http://www.urbanmecca.com/artman/publish/article_174.shtml:

Television talk-show host Oprah Winfrey debuts at No. 40 on BusinessWeek's annual ranking of America's top givers. Oprah's $151 million in gifts and pledges to various charities earns her the distinction of being the first African-American on BusinessWeek's list.
Near as I can tell, nobody's gotten cancer watching too much of her show or reading too much of her magazine. If one doesn't dig it, then one can turn the channel or read something else.

I think the jury is out on the cancer thing :P

So should we not discuss the merits of anyone on television, since we could just change the channel?

Would that apply to music as well--why bother criticizing an album, artist or performance, since one could simply choose to listen or not?

i think she could be the first black president and the first woman president.

Pass the crack my friend.......pass the crack :unsure

I think the jury is out on the cancer thing :P

So should we not discuss the merits of anyone on television, since we could just change the channel?

Would that apply to music as well--why bother criticizing an album, artist or performance, since one could simply choose to listen or not?

No; when someone is as ubiquitous as Oprah, changing the channel may not be enough to keep from being annoyed. (For me, it's American Idol that annoys the crap out of me and I've only watched that show once, under duress.)

i think she could be the first black president and the first woman president.

Shit, she probably outpolls both Hillary and Obama.

Jesus, that's kinky. I think I'd rather be peed on.

oprah is far more beloved (heh)

:P good pun...

Isn't it sad (not directed at you anodyne) that we think about presidential potentials in terms of recognition and popularity rather than capacity for successful governing? I mean, what qualifications (other than megalomania and a talent for attracting admirers) does Oprah have to be president?

she runs a huge corporation and turns an enormous profit. sounds like she may be more qualified than a lot of those folks. plus she can bring back the fireside chat and hawk her books doing wonders for the national literacy rate

PLUS! being the first black person and the first woman she might actually care what her administration gets done and something could possibly be accomplished for a change.