think about being 13 and dealing with aunt flo's visits--these young men probably haven't encountered unwinnable and illogical arguments and Tourette's-like diatribes at that tender age...).

One word: :punch

Not that women are like that any more than men are, but if I agree that they were, don't these kids have mothers/sisters/cousins/friends with the same attributes?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where does the huge disparity arise between our attitudes about boys and girls?

Switch the genders and comments might be different.

Dunno. Just asking 'cause I'm not a guy.

One word: :punch

Not that women are like that any more than men are, but if I agree that they were, don't these kids have mothers/sisters/cousins/friends with the same attributes?

I was just making a cheap-shot stereotype joke (the best kind)...

For me at least, at 13 I had no true understanding of the unbearably cruel (to women and men) ways of female hormones. Not that I had any true understanding of them as an adult either, I just learned to adapt to the symptoms--that is until Tom Cruise came along and explained to me that women don't have hormonal imbalances. Thanks, Tom! :thumbup

Where does the huge disparity arise between our attitudes about boys and girls?

probably because boys and girls are different in some ways.

*ducks and runs*

Switch the genders and comments might be different.

Absolutely they would. This was addressed by the scientists at Orpah as well. The "double standard" which would land men in jail if they were diddling 13 year old girls.

Where does the huge disparity arise between our attitudes as boys and girls?

Fixed it. It's been said by other guys in this thread, but I would have hardly felt violated at age 13 if i could have banged several of my teachers...or at least my English teacher, Miss Giametti...and my art teacher, Miss Whalen (she'd call me 'Bucko' every now and then, it was cute).

but that's just me. If it's consensual, is it really a violation of any sort?

but that's just me. If it's consensual, is it really a violation of any sort?

I guess that's why it frightens me a little that these 20- and 30-something women are getting the same label as the male rapist who brutally attacks an unsuspecting victim and does serious physical and emotional damage...

But they are technically commiting statutory rape. Granted, it's not exactly violent, but the teachers should know better. They are there to teach reading and writing, not the ways of love. That's what prom and freshmen year in the college dorms are for.

But they are technically commiting statutory rape. Granted, it's not exactly violent, but the teachers should know better. They are there to teach reading and writing, not the ways of love. That's what prom and freshmen year in the college dorms are for.

true. maybe my problem is one of verbage, with the "statutory rape" concept--that it shares the word "rape."

When I think of the term rape, I think violence and lack of consent. Of course the legal argument is that a minor is incapable of consent, which is a fair point. I guess I just think there should be a distinction between forced sex acts and consensual--albeit emotionally harmful, etc--sex.

Rape is also an act about power. I'd just like to know what these women are getting out of having sex with 13 and 14 year old boys. Gotta be about some kind of power.

or control (same thing?). I would think a bruised ego/self-esteem/bad past experiences, etc. could make some dysfunctional relationship like that attractive--in the sense that the giver of sex would be able to run the show. and not have the risk of rejection/hurt inherent in relationships with men their own age.

wait a minute. something about the "giver of sex running the show" thing is sounding too familiar in there.

as a male teacher, it's good to see that some of my colleagues are just as much under the microscope for shady behavior. where i teach, there are at least three faculty members who have married their former students. whether something happened while the brides were students is a mystery.

as a male teacher, it's good to see that some of my colleagues are just as much under the microscope for shady behavior. where i teach, there are at least three faculty members who have married their former students. whether something happened while the brides were students is a mystery.

wow. that's shocking. were they all female teacher-male student?

where i teach, there are at least three faculty members who have married their former students. whether something happened while the brides were students is a mystery.

That happened at my school. Twice while I was there. At least one of the marriages ended in divorce.

Sure. Both were male teacher-female student, btw. I would have married my French teacher in 10th and 11th grade. She was just out of college, loved A Flock of Seagulls and was hot!!!! Used to teach class bra-less sometimes.

More scarred for life than if they never get any as a teenager? :pirate

:thumbup

So, do you guys equate a 14 year old having sex with a 20-something female multiple times over a 3 month period with a man raping a woman on the street?

hells no. For the primary reason that sexual experimentation has always been more okay for teenage males than females -- pregnancy. Seems to me (and if you think I'm warped feel free to say so) any 14yo male would be happy for the opportunity. Who are we kidding?

Lots of gay men know that they're gay by the time they're 14. Would people feel the same way about a 14 year old boy sleeping with a male teacher? Is it just that we don't see women as "predators"?

We had a case in Albany recently where a teacher at a Catholic high school was fooling around with 2-3 boys, aged 16 I think. They were clearly not coerced. She went to jail, they have stories for their buds.