Bob Dylan pulls a Bono!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Its just different strokes for different folks. I have a sort of ritual that I like to go through ... getting home, ripping open the CD (usually before my jacket is off) and popping in the CD. Then sitting down on the couch with the liner notes while I have my first listen. Its always the whole album straight through to get an overall feel for the album as a whole. Then I go back to pick out individual songs or listen more closely to lyrics.

Not to mention there is something fun about having the album burning a hole in my bag on the way home. Or the way I walk into the record store with one mission -- a direct line to the new releases. There is no normal lollygagging and browsing. I am all biz. Then, picking it off the shelf like its got an unreleased energy to it... Like I dont know what is on that disc, but I have a feeling its something that will be with me for a very long time. The artifact itself and the music burned onto it.

Its just a ritual that I've had since I was a kid. I think that listening pre-release would deprive me of these things... And you have to think that I wont have many more chances to run out at lunchtime (like I just did) with a skip in my step knowing that I am going to get Bob Dylan's new album. Its already burning a hole in my bag.

Well......don't get too excited about liner notes ('cause there pretty much ain't any)

Otherwise, you'll love it. I got mine yesterday (ordered from Bob's web site). It's pretty great. I won't spoil it for you though. Track #6 seems to be my favorite so far "Workingman's Blues #2"

Have listened through it twice and like I said it's great. Throw it on when ya get home, crack a beer (or 3) and enjoy!

Does it? I think it sounds great to me. What don't people like about it? Are we talking about the one that was remastered a few years before all the recent remasters?

All I know there's a remaster of Street Legal that Dylanheads shit all over.

All I know there's a remaster of Street Legal that Dylanheads shit all over.

If they're talking about the 1999 remaster of the album by Don DeVito then they are mad. It's the best sounding Dylan album I've got on cd besides the last three, although to be fair I haven't got any of the newer remasters (although when I heard Blonde on Blonde I thought it sounded really seperated, in much the same way that Pet Sounds in Stereo sounds seperated or when they remastered Yellow Submarine - they brought up sounds in the mix just to show that the sounds were there rather than staying true to the original album).

You've made me put on Street Legal again. Damn, Changing Of The Guard is damn fine!

I think they are all being re-done. I am not buying them as I don't really have a desire to fool with SACD - plus they have no bonus tracks. I may pick up Blonde on Blonde at some point - as it at least has the artwork restored to what it was at the time of release.

To get pretty off topic, does anyone know where I can see the U2 Ipod ad? I have never seen it and, well, would like to.

EDIT: Did it myself. I think it's fairly obvious that ones like or disgust of the commerical depends on his or her opinion of the artist. That being said, I don't see what's wrong with any kind of advertising; afterall, it's a business, right?

Edited by airtaco