Black Crowes - MFF

I wonder if this has something to do with the recent departure of Ed.

most people seemed pretty certain Ed was dismissed for being back on the horse... so maybe you're right, there might something to it... sadly i hope not, Marc is too fucking good to waste his life away w/ that shit

That really sucks...they were really playing well.....but when I saw them last month, it looked like the brothers were not loving each other...they barely looked each others way for the whole show.....but MFF looked happy.

It is a shame but it has been a tough month or two for Chris.

Not a big surprise to me. I was at the 08/12 show and Marc was struggling through the set. More than half the show went by while he and the crew messed around with his rig. When he did finally sort it out he seemed off kilter. As this was happening the BC's just played on seemingly never missing a beat, it was like he was outside of the band. NBD for me, I love Marc's playing but he doesn't seem to be able to keep it together for very long. Personally I liked Audley Freed, here's to hoping he steps back in.

This is very true. The Black Crowes without Chris, Rich, Steve, Marc & Eddie isn't really the Black Crowes. IT's just a band pretending to be the Black Crowes.

Kinda like the Grateful Dead without Jerry, if I'm allowed to compare, sometimes bands are better off changing their names instead of going on with the same or close to the same such as The Dead.

When it comes down to it though, The Black Crowes are really Rich/Chris and whoever they hire - just as WILCO is Jeff and whoever he hires.
\

You're right. The Crowes are Chris/Rich and they can hire whoevere they want. You can compare Jeff and Wilco to the Robinsons and the Crowes, but Wilco never pretended to be anything but Jeff's band. The Crowes used to be a band of brothers - not a circle with a center.

The Crowes they are a completely different band without Marc. Obviously, their best records were between 1992-1996 and a lot of this has to do with Marc's solos and the talent that he brought to the table. After they kicked him out (giving him no notice, I may add) their records were way less good (in fact I think both Lions and By your Side really suck) and their live shows were not nearly as special. I have seen them at least 50 times, mostly in the early-mid 90's and 2005-2006, but I saw them many times without Marc and the magic was gone - period.

I am biased because MF is my favorite guitar player of our generation and has been since 1992 when I got TSHAMC and pressed play on my cassette player. But, Marc being gone isn't just about the songs - it's about the vibe. The Crowes were always this cool, groovy, down to earth, we-hang-out rock and roll dudes, and now they're just... employers. It's hard to get excited about them anymore when you have experienced their glory days and then gotten so excited about their "reunion". I was so excited for a new studio album with Marc and am sort of crushed that it won't happen.

In fact, I'm more than crushed. I'm over it. Period. I am selling my tickets to the Starland ballroom and putting the whole Crowes thing behind me after 16 years of being a true blue fan and travelling the country to see them. Or, as they say, I am following the talent, and the talent just walked out the door.

I agree those records are stinkers - must have been pretty serious for him to walk away from a paycheck. If it really is about his health - I am glad. Speaking of the dvd, he does not look to clean in the various backstage shots at the end of the film.

I think what I mainly ment was - that the BC dudes have been a revolving door since Jeff and Johnny went - it's just that Marc had history with the band - I too, prefer the band with him in it. They will never top Amorica anyway - except for maybe the Lost Crowes discs coming out. That is some great stuff.