The STATE is coming The STATE is coming!!!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This, but no DVD...fucking weak.

From what I've heard:

The DVDs were originally going to be released over 3 years ago but due to all the copyrighted music that was on the episodes. It is very expensive for MTV to pay for all the licensing of the music on the show. Hence the show was too expensive too release on DVD. Apparently there is like only one copy of the masters of the show and it has the copyrighted music on it.

So I guess they are hoping to see if it is worth the cost of paying for the licenses by seeing how good the show sells on itunes.

I know this blows arse, but at least it is steps toward it one day before we are old and grey being on dvd.

And thank FSM for youtube clips.

From what I've heard:

The DVDs were originally going to be released over 3 years ago but due to all the copyrighted music that was on the episodes. It is very expensive for MTV to pay for all the licensing of the music on the show. Hence the show was too expensive too release on DVD. Apparently there is like only one copy of the masters of the show and it has the copyrighted music on it.

So I guess they are hoping to see if it is worth the cost of paying for the licenses by seeing how good the show sells on itunes.

I know this blows arse, but at least it is steps toward it one day before we are old and grey being on dvd.

And thank FSM for youtube clips.

this is crap, my friend has a VHS copy of almost all the episodes.

on a side note, i love this show but now worry that 1) i will only still like it for nostalgia's sake, and 2) it might not be so funny if i'm not stoned while watching it.

I have 6 VHS tapes with every episode that I bought from ebay many moons ago but they're like 19th generation taped-from-TV ones that are nearly unwatchable in some spots. There was only one official VHS release but it only has a handful of sketches.

I have dvds with the same inth generation version bought of the ole ebay.

I have 6 VHS tapes with every episode that I bought from ebay many moons ago but they're like 19th generation taped-from-TV ones that are nearly unwatchable in some spots. There was only one official VHS release but it only has a handful of sketches.

she has the official VHS release. it's not all the episodes, but they must have had to license the music for that, at least, right?

Yeah, but I think that came out while the show was still on, or at least right after it ended, so I'm sure there was more interest in the release back then that would warrant the licensing. I can't think of too many songs on there, come to think of it.

There's been a petition online for years trying to get the whole series released, you'd think that would tell them something about the level of interest people have in purchasing a DVD set.

Yeah, but I think that came out while the show was still on, or at least right after it ended, so I'm sure there was more interest in the release back then that would warrant the licensing. I can't think of too many songs on there, come to think of it.

There's been a petition online for years trying to get the whole series released, you'd think that would tell them something about the level of interest people have in purchasing a DVD set.

I mean, really, how exspensive would it be to get clearance on a candlebox or sponge or montell jordan song? they'd probably sign off for cheap.

Ill throw one of my favorites into the ring: Monkey Torture

Enjoy :P :monkey :P

Quite the good one. My favorite is "The Real Life of Abraham Lincoln". Don't know if it's on youtube or not or what season it's from, but that's a damn funny skit.

"Damn you John Wilkes Boothe! I'll kill you for what you've seen here! KILL YOU I SAY!"

OK, I'm going to buy the stupid iTunes episodes. I just watched the previews and because I've been watching 10th generation VHS tapes for years, I was actually surprised that they were clear images with no glitches or static. I can finally see all the little things going on in the background. I'm so used to my crappy tapes I actually expected the iTunes ones to be like that too. :lol

I'm willing to wager that coveted DVD box set is never coming out.

I can't believe they'll fork over the cash to release 'Til Death Do Us Part: Carmen and Dave but they won't release one of their highly rated shows of the 90s.

Besides, I'll finally be able to see a clear version of Amish Gang Fight.

i bit the bullet and purchased them and it looks like they got around the licensing issue by transplanting generic music that vaguely resembles the originals. The best example that comes to mind is "Pants" where The Breeders 'Cannonball' is replaced with something resembling 'Cannonball.'

That's what I really don't get. I honestly don't remember too many famous songs used on The State. I can't imagine it would be too difficult or costly to get licensing. Although on a clip I just watched (Openly Gay High School Student) they used "I'm A Man" from The Last Waltz. That might be a tough one.

• 9 months later...