The STATE is coming The STATE is coming!!!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stayed up late all through the summer of 94 to tape the State. I would pause the vcr to edit out the commercials while the show was airing. I did this with both seasons. Well, my sister was an avid fan of Days Of Our Lives and was going to miss a supposedly crucial episode and needed a vhs tape to record the episode.....I always hated soap operas, and that only fueled my rage. I actually met the guy that plays dangle, and one of the other state guys at a Pete Yorn show in vegas in 2002, and immediately asked them about the show. They said go to ebay since it's not coming out any time soon. The only other show I could be bothered with that has yet to see the light of day, and is also snagged up in legal delays, is Get A Life with Chris Elliot. I paid $40 for all three seasons on vhs, and they were pure crap. Just horrible, watery copies of copies.

I stayed up late all through the summer of 94 to tape the State. I would pause the vcr to edit out the commercials while the show was airing. I did this with both seasons. Well, my sister was an avid fan of Days Of Our Lives and was going to miss a supposedly crucial episode and needed a vhs tape to record the episode.....I always hated soap operas, and that only fueled my rage. I actually met the guy that plays dangle, and one of the other state guys at a Pete Yorn show in vegas in 2002, and immediately asked them about the show. They said go to ebay since it's not coming out any time soon. The only other show I could be bothered with that has yet to see the light of day, and is also snagged up in legal delays, is Get A Life with Chris Elliot. I paid $40 for all three seasons on vhs, and they were pure crap. Just horrible, watery copies of copies.

TV Links

• 1 year later...
The new issue of Filter has a pretty good feature on The State. An oral history of the show by the cast, etc. It's worth checking out.

I saw The State In Conversation With Janeane Garofalo yesterday. Lots of good history of the group, and some dish on who got pissed off at whom, and why, during the breaking-up process (basically, everyone who wasn't in Viva Variety, pissed off at everyone who was :lol).

And the latest word is: the DVDs will be out this year. :punch

I would love to finally have the episodes out on DVD - hopefully they did the proper work to clear the music rights, on those iTunes releases some of the skits had the original popular music removed and it just wasn't the same.

Saturday, January 24

The Hills: A Staged Reading

with Janeane Garofalo, Rob Huebel, Rob Riggle, Rachael Harris, Mike Phirman, Tom Kenny, Dannah Feinglass, Danielle Schneider and Robin Shorr

with Seth Herzog

Cobb's Comedy Club at 8PM, $25

Oh man ... please tell me someone here attended this :)

I did not attend The Hills. Just too many good shows at Sketchfest!

Jen, even they didn't seem all that convinced by the "sometime this year" timeframe. They said yes, everything's done, they've recorded commentaries, deleted scenes have been edited, etc., and basically, it's just sitting waiting for someone at MTV to say OK, let's do it.

They seem to trace some of the delay back to the fact that they were way arrogant when they left MTV, and did not do so on the best possible terms. Kerri Kenney even mentioned that there's a coffee-table book out there, put out by MTV, specifically about comedy on MTV, and they're not even mentioned. So it does seem that there's some bad blood there.

There was some discussion of a heist. Just going in there and taking the damn thing!