When will there be a new Jayhawks record?

Just pick up the newest Golden Smog record: it's so heavy on the Gary Louris-led tunes that it's practically a companion to Smile or Rainy Day Music although I really wouldn't put any of the new GS stuff on par with even those two albums.

They're on "hiatus" though although who knows? Maybe we'll get a Louris/Olsen record sometime in the next few years. That'd be sweet.

Just pick up the newest Golden Smog record: it's so heavy on the Gary Louris-led tunes that it's practically a companion to Smile or Rainy Day Music although I really wouldn't put any of the new GS stuff on par with even those two albums.

4 songs out of 15. one of which is Listen Joe. what album are you listening to?

In ten years when they want to cash-in.

I don't think at this point in the history of the band they think for a minute that they can "cash in". Did the band actaully ever make any money on albums.......they made it all on touring. I mean what is the highest seeling record.....did they ever sell 500,000 of any record. You can't make any money selling 200,000 records, because the record co. get everything off the top.

08/03/06 An update from Gary Louris on what he will be busy with in the next few months. Please note that some of these projects are tentative...

Mark Olson flew in to Minneapolis so that we could start writing some new material. We are hoping to record a Mark Olson/Gary Louris record sometime in October. It also looks like I will be playing a bit on his solo record which he will also be recording hopefully in October.

I am taking a father/son RV trip to Mount Rushmore/The Badlands/The Black Hills in the middle of August....yee haw!

I am going to be making a trip to Nashville in late August to do some co-writing with various artists....no one specific to report.

There will be a new song of mine recorded in Spain in July that will be in a new movie entitled Off The Black starring Nick Nolte and Timothy Hutton....not sure of release date. Song is entitled "Be Still My Baby" basically performed by me with percussion by Paco Loco.

I am collaborating on a project entitled "Tuatara".....this is a band that includes Peter Buck and Barrett Martin (Screaming Trees) and Scott McCaughey (Minus Five/Young Fresh Fellows). What happens is they let different 'artists' choose songs that are already recorded sans melodies and words. It was great fun writing this way and I ended up doing three songs which will hopefully end up on the new disc which is still in the works.

Golden Smog dates coming up in September of course.

I have written and recorded music for a film entitled Men by Nicole Burdette (Chelsea Walls) that, in the fashion of Midnight Cowboy and The Graduate, is planning to have the film follow the music....so interestingly enough the music has been recorded before the movie has been shot....In the works but don't hold your breath.

I will be producing The Sadies next record at Paco Loco studios in Puerto De Santa Maria Spain. I hopefully will begin recording what may become my new solo album in December at Paco's. This record may end up being recorded at various studios...still in the conceptual stages....likely band member...Jonny Polonsky. Other potential collaborators include Richard Causon and Kraig Johnson......

I will be producing the new Sara Lee Guthrie/Johnny Irion record hopefully in Nashville in January...

There will be some bonus material which should include film footage of me recording "Every Word" on the upcoming dvd release of the movie Wordplay.

I am still trying to get that damned Live Jayhawks album released and hopefully someday some retrospective or odds and ends stuff...we are trying here but with all the labels that have been involved it makes it a real maze of a journey.

I will be cleaning out my basement in August.

I will focus on finishing my record after the completion of Johnny and Sara Lee's record .....

Rest assured there will be touring to support the various projects mentioned above at some point next year.