Octoberquest 2006

I willfully acknowledge that Derek Jeter had a fantastic year, and that he is a legitimate MVP candidate. That being said, it sure is fun to rip on him, and giving him the Hank Aaron Award is definately ridiculous. Anyway, from FireJoeMorgan:

If Only There Were a Way to Tell Who Had the Best Offensive Year Using Statistics. But There Clearly Is Not.

So' date=' let's just go ahead and give the Henry Aaron Award for the American League to Derek Jeter. Cool?

No? It isn't cool? Why not?

Exhibits 1-5 of what is like probably 1000 exhibits:

[b']Runs Created, AL, 2006:[/b]

1. Ortiz 141.8

2. Sizemore 134.1

3. Jeter 128.2

4. Hafner 124.4

5. Thome 122.8

Not bad. So far, Jeter's a decent choice.

EqA, AL, 2006

1. Hafner .355

2. Ramirez (Bos.) .342

3. Ortiz .334

4. Thome .328

5. Giambi .326

6. Mauer .321

7. Dye .320

8. Jeter .316

Okay

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steinbrenner must have paid pitchers off to groove some in to him.

another happy millionare

NEW YORK (AP) - Gary Sheffield was told Wednesday that the New York Yankees will pick up his $13 million option for next season, according to a newspaper report.

Sheffield said he was hoping to test the free-agent market and get another three-year contract, USA Today reported in Thursday's editions.

"This will not work, this will not work at all," Sheffield told the newspaper. "I don't want to play first base a year for them. I will not do that."

Sheffield, sidelined from May 29 to Sept. 22 with an injured left wrist that required surgery, hit .298 with six homers and 25 RBIs in 39 games this season. He played first base for the first time in his major league career after he returned in September.

"I don't know what they're (Yankees) going to do," Sheffield said. "Maybe they picked it up just to trade me. If they do that, if I just (go) to a team for one year, there's going to be a problem."

A message was left by The Associated Press seeking comment from Sheffield's agent, Rufus Williams.

I've been reading this thread from time to time and the entertainment value is tremendous. So here's my two cents on the A-rod situation. There is no chance A-Rod goes anywhere. None. At 15-16 million he's a steal for the yankees just based on tickets and merchandies he helps sell. He has no interest in going anywhere else. NY fans may be fickle but that's merely because they want to see the guy actually make (add to) his hall of fame career while here. That's not just an MVP or two but it's huge clutch numbers and a few rings to boot. I wasn't one who was in favor of this deal when it went down, but from the Yankees perspective it was a no brainer. A-Rod paid for his first year in mechandising alone. There is no pitcher or combination of pitchers available that equal the offensve and historical player a-rod will be. That isn't lost on the Yankee front office and they're not going to part with a guy who has the serious potential to put up serious all time great numbers.

kinda surprised they want to deal with this guy for 13 mill.

maybe they will package A-Rod & Sheff to the Royals

In exchange for the entire team? A-Rod and Sheff are great players, but I don't think they can cover that much ground in the field anymore.

How many Rodriguez jerseys do they need to sell for the Yanks to recoup $13 million?

at like 100 bucks a crack not very many

maybe it was a spike in season tickets sales. whatever the case was they made a point of it at the time that the guy paid for the first year of his contract within days.

in any case the idea that he will or should go else where is silly. it isn't going to happen. not with texas picking up a large portion of his inflated contract.

MLB probably takes a big chunk of that $100, and the Taiwanese seamstresses get a small cut too.

I believe that revenue from licensing merchandise is pooled between all the mlb teams.

Sort of. All teams get all the revenue from merchandise sales within their stadium, and within a certain radius of where they play. Anything from outside of that home area, as well as online sales, etc. goes into the big pool that is divided evenly.

"Everyone's favorite whipping boy enters his age 31 season in 2007. The Rangers are covering a large part of his contract, so he's owed $16MM annually through 2010. While it's still huge, Rodriguez at four years, $64MM is a reasonable commitment for a superstar. Even the fairly conservative PECOTA projection system from Baseball Prospectus says he'll be worth over $66MM over that time period."

There's really no reason to trade A-rod that makes sense from a monetary perspective.

There is something to be said for addition by subtraction, however. And the Ewing Theory for those who read the Sports Guy. I know it sounds like heresy, but sometimes you need a role player to shorten up with two strikes and hit to right field instead of a star who cant do that so instead he swings for the fences and hits a home run once every 15-20 at bats.

I understand that the object here is for teams to make money. Its a business. But if the yanks want to win the WS again, they should learn from the 96-2000 teams. Focus more on pitching, pitching, pitching and surround a few stars with smart good ballplayers. Get rid of A-Rod and Sheff.

A great team will beat a team of all-stars in any true team sport. The yanks prove it in baseball, the pats in football, and USA basketball in basketball.

A-Rod has a career batting average of .305 and averages over 180 hits per season. It's not like all he does is hit homeruns.

And the Yankees have the best record in baseball nearly every year. If there's a reason that they've struggled in the playoffs in recent years it is their PITCHING. They score more runs than everybody, but they can't pitch (and yes, I realize they didn't really hit against the Tigers in the ALDS--but every great team has slumps). Why do so many people think that the solution to their pitching problem is to replace Alex Rodriguez with a minor leaguer?

in any case the idea that he will or should go else where is silly. it isn't going to happen. not with texas picking up a large portion of his inflated contract.

:wave

as a former resident of Dallas, Texas, I am still recovering from the bruises the ass-kicking of that brilliant decision left. And I'm not even much of a baseball fan (at least in the following/memorizing statistics and whatnot sense).