Octoberquest 2006

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to guess that this is one of the lowest rated World Series ever. Besides it being two midwest teams (which I personally liked), Detroit prety much self destructed and many of the games were downright boring.

Congrats to Tony LaRussa and the Cards in any event.

LouieB

Besides it being two midwest teams (which I personally liked), Detroit prety much self destructed and many of the games were downright boring.

Yeah, I got up one morning and somebody told me the Cards had won the World Series and my response was "Oh crap, that was last night?? I thought it was an off day." That's how closely I followed the Series this year, I guess. :hmm The only game I watched in its entirety was the poo-hand game.

It was the lowest ever. Mostly because there are a total of maybe 3 legitimate well known superstars between the teams, one of which flies totally under the radar (Carpenter), one who has the steroid user label in the eyes of a number of people (Pudge), and the other who is probably the best player in the league right now, and has no dirt on him, but is not marketed at all on a national level (Pujols).

Add to that the fact that the only player on either team anyone in the media wrote about for the duration of the series was 2 foot 1 barefoot, 40 pounds soaking wet manchild named "Gritdid McGritstein".

bobbob has been reading FireJoeMorgan. Very nice.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I don't think the reason people don't tune in to watch Pudge anymore has anything to do with steroids. I think it has to do with the fact that he just hasn't been a very good hitter in the last few years. It's of course entirely possible that this decline is due to not being juiced anymore, but I think that people would have lost interest with the decline in numbers even if his steroid use had remained a secret.

Catching is hard on hitting.

Actually, I think they've gone a bit too far with it (most of them are the same -- just listing the cliches used in the articles to describe him). It was funny at first, but I wish they'd give it a rest now. However, this was pure brilliance...

TINY LITTLE ECKSTEIN ACTUALLY BIG AND GRITTY

Small Eck Comes Up Big Vs. Tigers

Diminutive Star Big at Heart

by Ken Tremendous

Picture it: Joel Zumaya, the Detroit Tigers

AL Gold Gloves:

P: Kenny Rogers, Detroit

C: Ivan Rodriguez, Detroit

1B: Mark Texeira, Texas

2B: Mark Grudzielanek, Kansas City

SS: Derek Jeter, New York

3B: Eric Chavez, Oakland

OF: Ichiro Suzuki, Seattle

OF: Torii Hunter, Minnesota

OF: Vernon Wells, Toronto

I can see 2 glaring problems with this list. They are the middle infielders. Luis Castillo should have won the GG, and Derek Jeter shouldn't have.

The Gold Glove is almost always more of a career achievement award anyway. Jeter had an indisputably great year, so they're going to give him whatever they can. Giving the Gold Glove to him is not nearly as wrong as giving him that Hank Aaron award though.

The Gold Glove is almost always more of a career achievement award anyway. Jeter had an indisputably great year, so they're going to give him whatever they can. Giving the Gold Glove to him is not nearly as wrong as giving him that Hank Aaron award though.

Jeter had a very good year, but defensively has declined the last few years. He was an average-to-just-below-average fielder last season. Alex Gonzalez was much better defensively. Juan Uribe was much better defensively. Heck, Bobby Crosby was much better defensively. I would have pegged either Gonzalez or Uribe for the award. Jeter would be down near the bottom of the AL list. The GG award appears to have gone the way of the popularity vote.

Although, one could definately dispute that Jeter's defense has declined in the last few years. Just looking at range factor (and yeah, I know that one stat doesn't tell the whole story), he had a down year in the field this year, but the previous two seasons were among the best of his career.

It's always been popularity.

I don't feel it's always been a popularity vote. I believe it was '98 or '99 that Raphael Palmiero won one for playing about 30 games at first and DHing the rest of his games that it became evident that the award is not based on legitimacy. Some of the players on this year's list (in their respective positions) may be questionable, but I think a decent argument could be made for their selections. With Jeter, I simply don't see a legitimate argument.