Octoberquest 2006

nothing you say can take this joy away or one of the most precious moments I have ever shared with my daughter.......shoot away!

and if you remember the last time the Cardinals were in the World Series, they LOST. Bush was re-elected a week later......so, if this is the reverse, this is GOOD NEWS!!!!

I wish we were in STL - instead of home on a cold Friday night.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

congratulations to all of the cardinals fans. :cheers

what a great year for the tigers. it was great to see people downtown and to see the ballpark filled. a lot of fun lets do it again next year. now i need another drink. :beer :beer :beer

and if you remember the last time the Cardinals were in the World Series, they LOST. Bush was re-elected a week later......so, if this is the reverse, this is GOOD NEWS!!!!

I wish we were in STL - instead of home on a cold Friday night.

Yeah, that's right. I've been trying to block that whole election out.

I grew up about 15 miles from the Vet, and when the Phils finally won the WS in '80, I was at college in Tulsa. so I know how that goes. My sister said that when McGraw struck out Willie (12-strikeout) Wilson, all my dad could say was a disparaging: "Well, look who they got out!"

Listening to Neko right now, a fan of birds and tigers.

I haven't read the last few pages of this thread, so excuse me if this has been said, but the difference in this series has been the errors by the Detroit pitchers. That's it. Better managing, timely hitting, etc. hasn't meant squat in this series. If the Tigers don't throw the ball around like a bunch of little leaguers, this could realistically be 3-1 Detroit. It's almost hard to watch.

I posted this on another board and I'll repost it here:

Dumb mistakes, yes, but somebody in this world will have to give the Cardinals some credit at some point. They barely make the playoffs, nobody picks them to beat San Diego, absolutely nobody picks them to beat the Mets, and then they're supposed to waltz in and get swept by the Tigers. And now they're one game away from winning their first World Series in 24 years*. Their pitching has been incredible, especially the bullpen, and they're getting game-winning contributions from all of the players that you don't expect contributions to come from. Weaver? Suppan? Eckstein? Adam Wainwright? Yadier Molina? All of the Tigers' errors have been costly, but just as costly has been their complete lack of offense against a mediocre pitching staff and the Cardinals' clutch hits / ability to manufacture runs. The only game where an error decided anything was last night (game four).

*Obviously outdated.

But anyway, :w00t :beer :beer

This is one of the best days of my tiny little life.

I posted this on another board and I'll repost it here:

Dumb mistakes, yes, but somebody in this world will have to give the Cardinals some credit at some point. They barely make the playoffs, nobody picks them to beat San Diego, absolutely nobody picks them to beat the Mets, and then they're supposed to waltz in and get swept by the Tigers. And now they're one game away from winning their first World Series in 24 years*. Their pitching has been incredible, especially the bullpen, and they're getting game-winning contributions from all of the players that you don't expect contributions to come from. Weaver? Suppan? Eckstein? Adam Wainwright? Yadier Molina? All of the Tigers' errors have been costly, but just as costly has been their complete lack of offense against a mediocre pitching staff and the Cardinals' clutch hits / ability to manufacture runs. The only game where an error decided anything was last night (game four).

*Obviously outdated.

But anyway, :w00t :beer :beer

This is one of the best days of my tiny little life.

Mixed in with my complaints about the Tigers' poor play, I was giving the Cards their due. A couple of my friends got frustrated with me for not being as certain of Tigers victory at the beginning of the season.

Anyway, I'd be lying if I said that I'm not horribly disappointed, but at the same time, I can't be upset about the way this season turned out. Often frustrating, but even with their huge second half slump, and their disastrous World Series, they still performed well beyond what would have made me happy with this season. I was hoping for 86 or so wins, third place. It sucks badly to see them beaten so soundly by the Cardinals, but I'm still very grateful for the season that they had. And I think that they're in pretty good position to compete for a few more years to come, so maybe this is just the first round.

Anyway, congratulations Cardinals fans. Your team played great when it really counted. A well deserved World Series win for a team that's been on the brink of it for a long time.

Good work Cardinals. You definitely deserved this win. Showed a lot of heart, grit, and clutchness (is that a word?) over these last few weeks.

Congrats Cards fans.

As for everyone else, well, 6 months until opening day!! Here's to another great baseball season, and another long winter waiting for the next one.

:cheers

dude, don't blame the red sox for george bush. We all vote blue up here. Sorry about that game last night, tiger fans. I saw the highlights and it didn't look pretty but at least you weren't swept!

Kate, I am sooo happy for you. How unlikely of a victory! And how wonderful for you and Graham to have Sox then Cards WS victories the first two years of your marriage -- just hope it keeps up :lol

I freakin love David Eckstein. That guy never quits and he is always full of energy.......He has no ego and is a team player. Even when he is facing the best pitchers, he makes them work. He will draw 7-9 pitches out of any given pitcher. He never gives up. I call him Scrappy, because he is small but fierce. He is one of the only players I feel pretty comfortable coming to bat in a 2 out situation. He is very very valuable, even if he isn't a home run hitter or doesn't have a rocket for an arm. He puts his whole body into a throw and can dive wth the best of them. He is fun to watch and I am very glad he is on my team.

One of my all time favorite players......don't diss. :nono

I freakin love David Eckstein. That guy never quits and he is always full of energy.......He has no ego and is a team player. Even when he is facing the best pitchers, he makes them work. He will draw 7-9 pitches out of any given pitcher. He never gives up. I call him Scrappy, because he is small but fierce. He is one of the only players I feel pretty comfortable coming to bat in a 2 out situation. He is very very valuable, even if he isn't a home run hitter or doesn't have a rocket for an arm. He puts his whole body into a throw and can dive wth the best of them. He is fun to watch and I am very glad he is on my team.

One of my all time favorite players......don't diss. :nono

David Eckstein ranked 82nd in baseball in pitches per plate appearance this year (6th on his own team). He's not a bad player, but there's a lot of myth building going on about him right now.

Anyway, he had a very good series, probably did deserve the Series MVP that he got, but I'm still confused about all the credit the media is giving him for somehow causing fielding miscues. I think that's just luck.