Octoberquest 2006

i hope they didnt pay too much for him. sure he's a vet and will bring "something" to the clubhouse but from everything i have read he's more of a parasite than anything else. i still think that the tigers were a bit of a fluke this year, but if the team can stay intact for a few years, they will definitely win a championship or maybe two.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mixed feelings about Sheff.

Obviously, he's a great player. But he's also a professional malcontent, and coming off a huge injury. Also, they gave up Sanchez, who was supposed to be untouchable.

If he's healthy, then it's a good move. They needed a big bat, and he has/had one. If he's not healthy, well, they just gave up some big prospects and a lot of money over three years for a 38 year old guy.

I'm hoping for the best but bracing for the worst.

Really? Adding one of the best hitters of the last decade makes you say "uggggghhhhhhhhh"?

It would make me say "ughhhhhhhhhhh" too. He's not exactly the same player he used to be. And a three year deal? Eeeek.

I'm saying "ughhhhhh" to the Cardinals resigning Jim Edmonds, too.

Really? Adding one of the best hitters of the last decade makes you say "uggggghhhhhhhhh"?

"clubhouse cancer"

There's no doubt the guy can play. I just sense a bit of T.O. in him, is all.

The Tigers will be good next year if their young pitchers have another good year. I don't think the addition of Sheffield will be a determining factor.

Hey baseball fans,

I'm currently cutting off threads on Now Reading, Now Watching, etc., at 500 posts, and starting a new one. Does someone want to start a new thread on acquisitions, etc., for the new year, and we'll shutter this one?

Thanks.

I'll mention it to someone who has the superpowers to create such a thing. :D

Edit: OK, I've thrown out the bat-signal to the other mods/admins. My personal preference would be to keep sports stuff in TTL, though. Mostly because, like Analogman, I fear change.

I'll mention it to someone who has the superpowers to create such a thing. :D

Edit: OK, I've thrown out the bat-signal to the other mods/admins. My personal preference would be to keep sports stuff in TTL, though. Mostly because, like Analogman, I fear change.

And - too many sections is too many sections.

He's going to DH, and occassionally play the outfield.

And I agree that the Tigers need a left handed hitter, but bringing in a right handed hitter who is substantially better than the one he's replacing will certainly not make the team any worse.

There are five-tool players, but Sheffield is just a tool. Even by New York standards.

Well, good luck. Maybe he'll behave for Leyland, and he'll certainly be motivated to beat the Yankees.

:dancing :dancing :dancing

Hey baseball fans,

I'm currently cutting off threads on Now Reading, Now Watching, etc., at 500 posts, and starting a new one. Does someone want to start a new thread on acquisitions, etc., for the new year, and we'll shutter this one?

Thanks.