Octoberquest 2006

so basically Monroe just got a bad jump on the ball last night? Didn't it seem like he was playing in kind of shallow to begin with?

thats what it looked like. he looked like he was running in quicksand. also why were they saying that inge shouldn't have cut off the throw from monroe to get pujols? it looked like it was dying and it was wide of home plate.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sandy Alderson. He was in Oakland for years before coming over to the Pads as an executive (I forget his title, but he's also sort of a co-GM as well). He almost forced out the Pads GM Towers last year, and from what I've read he wanted to bring his own manager in. I've heard Bud Black and Allan Trammel's names mentioned. I've been a Pads fan since 84, and it's hard to see Bochy go, but I'll be happy if the next guy can get us past the first round (and of course not swept by the Yankees either)

Tony LaRussa is reason enough to make it illegal for the managers to wear the uniform of their team. How ridiculous does he look with his tight pants, windbreaker, sunglasses and batting gloves. He looks so pathetic...

:hmm pathetic enough to win the world series I guess.

I didn't mean it quite like that,it's just he's the Don around these parts.I would agree the batting gloves are kind of silly but you never know when we might need to put him in!

Yeah, but that was dumb for everyone to think the Tigers were a sure thing. The favorite, sure, but the Cards were obviously a better team than their 83 wins indicated (lots of injuries, plus some unexpected underperformances), and it's not like the Tigers dominated the whole year like they did early on. Yes, the Tigers looked better in the first two rounds of the playoffs, but not enough for their victory in the World Series to be the foregone conclusion that so many in the media made it out to be. I certainly thought the Tigers would win, but no one should be that surprised that the Cardinals are playing this well.

Not a surprise that the Cardinals came to play and are doing a good job, but I don't believe anyone anticipated that the Tigers would stop hitting, field badly and simply not play up to their potential. The long layoff between series apparently was not to their advantage.

LouieB

I haven't read the last few pages of this thread, so excuse me if this has been said, but the difference in this series has been the errors by the Detroit pitchers. That's it. Better managing, timely hitting, etc. hasn't meant squat in this series. If the Tigers don't throw the ball around like a bunch of little leaguers, this could realistically be 3-1 Detroit. It's almost hard to watch.

Edit: Ok, I see it has been mentioned, and I shouldn't have left out the outfielders. Granderson and Monroe looked like idiots out there. Not World Series caliber play.

Give Granderson a break, he slipped on a very wet field.....it happens....it's not like he made a bad play. As for Monroe, that was a damn good try and a f'in hard catch. I don't think either of those plays are representative of their talent and were tough slips to overcome.

My favorite sports writer, King Kaufman, is calling for the season to start earlier. And I agree with him. Look what happens when you get two teams in the World Series that both play in cities with real winter weather. Games are delayed, players freeze, and when the games aren't postponed, they're played in bad conditions.

Now, I'm not blaming the weather for the Tigers problems -- both teams are playing in the same weather after all -- but there's no doubt that it's effecting the quality of the games being played. And of course there would be weather issues in mid-March if they were playing that early too, but I'd much rather see the first few weeks of the regular season marred by bad weather than the World Series. These are the most important games of the season after all. And if a game gets snowed out in March, it can easily be made up in April, May, June, July, August or September. Weather delays now push the series further and further towards the end of October and possibly even into November, when the weather in cities like St. Louis and Detroit will only get worse.

Oh my gosh....... after that 3rd out Emily and I jumped around the living room and she turned to me with tears rolling down her face and said, "mom this is the best moment ever!!!" And I said to her......"I celebrated like this with my dad - you are doing this with me. You will remember this when you're old......you'll always remember this." and at that point I had tears rolling down my face.

I LOVE St. Louis! I LOVE the Cards!! I miss my dad.

GO CRAZY FOLKS! GO CRAZY!!! I know Jack Buck is looking down, celebrating.

:cryin

shrine.jpg

it worked......need to add another pennant to that wall. :thumbup

Guess this is good news for the Republicans - red over blue.

Congrats to the Cards. Tigers, I think you finished the A's a little too quickly for your own good.

Nice to see the Senior Circuit getting it done. And that was just the NL's 5th best (sorry, cheap shot).

Enjoy! :beer :cheers :beer :cheers