Octoberquest 2006

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was pushing for Alex Gonzalez for the Gold Glove, but suspected his injury shortened season might keep him out of it. That guy made some remarkable plays this year and was unbelievably consistent.

I agree with Gonzalez getting shanked on the award. Had he been able to play an additional 25-40 games I'm not so sure the ball-wash job on Jeter would've not still taken place, though.

I agree with Gonzalez getting shanked on the award. Had he been able to play an additional 25-40 games I'm not so sure the ball-wash job on Jeter would've not still taken place, though.

True, and both Uribe and Michael Young seem to have better numebrs than Jeets.

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Minnesota Twins pitching sensation Francisco Liriano will have major surgery on his left elbow and is likely to miss the 2007 season.

Liriano, who went 12-3 with a 2.16 ERA as a rookie, will have Tommy John surgery on Monday in California, the team said Friday.

The ligament transplant procedure usually takes at least a year for recovery.

Liriano pitched only six innings over the final two months because of pain in his left elbow. With veteran Brad Radke expected to retire, the AL Central champions will need help to bolster their rotation.

I was pushing for Alex Gonzalez for the Gold Glove, but suspected his injury shortened season might keep him out of it. That guy made some remarkable plays this year and was unbelievably consistent.

Welcome to 5 years ago. Sea Bass should've won numerous Gold Gloves with the Marlins. The voter's have always given him the shaft.

P: Greg Maddux, LA Dodgers

C: Brad Ausmus, Houston

1B: Albert Pujols, St. Louis

2B: Orlando Hudson, Arizona

SS: Omar Vizquel, San Francisco

3B: Scott Rolen, St. Louis

OF: Andruw Jones, Atlanta

OF: Carlos Beltran, NY Mets

OF: Mike Cameron, San Diego

No serious problems with this list. I can gaurantee that the year Maddux retires, Dontrelle Willis will pick up his first gold glove (while toeing the rubber in Shea stadium.. :hmm )

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Minnesota Twins pitching sensation Francisco Liriano will have major surgery on his left elbow and is likely to miss the 2007 season.

Liriano, who went 12-3 with a 2.16 ERA as a rookie, will have Tommy John surgery on Monday in California, the team said Friday.

The ligament transplant procedure usually takes at least a year for recovery.

Liriano pitched only six innings over the final two months because of pain in his left elbow. With veteran Brad Radke expected to retire, the AL Central champions will need help to bolster their rotation.

This makes me sad, and frustrated because without Francisco, the Twins aren't really a World Series threat. But whatever can bring him back to 100% or the next closest alternative is something I'm willing to get behind. Apparenly John Smoltz had the same surgery, and hes still around.

He's been injured for like 75% of his career. It's pretty sad, but he's the new Kerry Wood/Mark Prior.

It's way too early to start saying that. Yeah, this is a big injury, definately career threatening, but he's still 3 years and 5 injuries away from getting that label, IMO.

It's way too early to start saying that. Yeah, this is a big injury, definately career threatening, but he's still 3 years and 5 injuries away from getting that label, IMO.

If my info is correct, he's been injured every year but 2005. And, like serious injuries. Thats why San Fran was willing to let him go.

Mets' Martinez may retire if he doesn't regain full strength

Nov. 3, 2006

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Pedro Martinez is recovering well from an operation on his right shoulder but said Friday he would consider retiring if he does not return to full strength.

"It's getting better and progress is above all what is hoped for," Martinez told the Associated Press. "To go back I have to recover, I have to be healthy. But if God doesn't want that, then I would have to think about giving it all up."

The New York Mets pitcher said he is working on flexibility but that he, "won't put his hand on a ball," until at least March.

Martinez, 35, missed the playoffs and end of the 2006 season with a torn right rotator cuff and an injury to his leg. The Mets, forced to start backup pitchers, were eliminated by the St. Louis Cardinals in the National League Championship Series.

The Dominican-born pitcher went 9-8 with a 4.48 earned run average but said 2006 was the toughest season of his career.

"It's going to be a bitter winter because I am going to have to do a lot of work. The pain I feel was one of the worst I have felt with any injury in my career," the three-time Cy Young Award-winner said.

Martinez, just two strikeouts shy of a career 3,000, has two years left on his contract with the Mets.

If he retires, this Mets dynasty a lot of Mets fans were talking about is going to be awfully unsuccessful and short.

If my info is correct, he's been injured every year but 2005. And, like serious injuries. Thats why San Fran was willing to let him go.

Mets' Martinez may retire if he doesn't regain full strength

Nov. 3, 2006

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Pedro Martinez is recovering well from an operation on his right shoulder but said Friday he would consider retiring if he does not return to full strength.

"It's getting better and progress is above all what is hoped for," Martinez told the Associated Press. "To go back I have to recover, I have to be healthy. But if God doesn't want that, then I would have to think about giving it all up."

The New York Mets pitcher said he is working on flexibility but that he, "won't put his hand on a ball," until at least March.

Martinez, 35, missed the playoffs and end of the 2006 season with a torn right rotator cuff and an injury to his leg. The Mets, forced to start backup pitchers, were eliminated by the St. Louis Cardinals in the National League Championship Series.

The Dominican-born pitcher went 9-8 with a 4.48 earned run average but said 2006 was the toughest season of his career.

"It's going to be a bitter winter because I am going to have to do a lot of work. The pain I feel was one of the worst I have felt with any injury in my career," the three-time Cy Young Award-winner said.

Martinez, just two strikeouts shy of a career 3,000, has two years left on his contract with the Mets.

If he retires, this Mets dynasty a lot of Mets fans were talking about is going to be awfully unsuccessful and short.

You wish, buddy. One starting pitcher does not a dynasty make or break.

Don't you have to at least win one pennant before you're a dynasty?

According to either an overwhelming majority or incredibly loud minority of Mets fans, they've had a dynasty since about a week after they got Carlos Delgado.

If Pedro retires, I don't see how you can say the Mets are the favorite in the NL, especially if they don't get Glavine back and don't win the Matsazuke sweepstakes. They'd have John Maine as their #1 starter.

I will agree that the Mets need to do something about their starting pitching, but the core of the team is still quite young. I think it will be an interesting NL East next year.

I will agree that the Mets need to do something about their starting pitching, but the core of the team is still quite young. I think it will be an interesting NL East next year.

I'm not sure they are quite young. Aside from Beltran, Wright, and Reyes, most of your starters are in their 30's.

I'll say if Pedro, and Glavine do come back and you get Matsasuke, you can go ahead and engrave a World Series trophy for the next two years.

Ron Washington hired as Texas manager. He deserves it.

The Rangers will never win until they ditch the Dodger wanna be Blue and white.

The won their 3 Division titles wearing the Red and white. (The Angels stole their look).

Don't make any bullshit political jokes. Red is a baseball color (re: cards, Phillies, Reds, Angels...).

Like the Washingto hiring. Now let's see if Diamond, Danks and Volquezcan actually produce some quality innings at the major league level. We haven't traded them for major league ready talent because of their potential. Time to shit or get off the pot.

And by the way...FUCK JOHN HART. Spent more time on the links at Dallas National than building the club.