• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are very few innocent teens at this point in time, and they have been trained since tots about 'stranger danger'.

Would you say that these are roughly equivalent?

A 16-year old boy provided alcohol to, seduced, and tried to have sex with your 16-year old daughter, neice, etc.

A 60-year old man provided alcohol to, seduced, and tried to have sex with your 16-year old daughter, neice, etc.

Which do you find to be worse, and how much?

15, 16, 17, are borderline years for consent in non-peer sexual relationships, (maybe not legally, but ethically in my book.). I still think that the onus of resposibilty is on the adult, regardless of the gender or willingness of the teenager, to walk away from sexual involvement.

Doesn't the power balance between an adult and a teenager count for something?

In this day/age and as mature as someone who at age 16 is forced to be....probably not as much as it used to. Not a 50/50 morally equivalency, but it's relevant. Frankly, i'd kick both their asses if said avances were unrequited...i'd kick all THREE if she had encouraged it at all, obvious reprecussions be damned.

Is the teen in either situation encouraging it and/or reciprocating?
that'd be my question too.

I'd say that both teens did not accept sex, but may be somewhat flirtatious.

i.e. Would you hold a 16-year-old male to the same standard as a 60-year-old male?

Explain your answer.

As a follow up:

Even a twelve-year-old could be fully physically developed, flirting, wearing a bikini, and basically oblivious to the consequences that might follow alcohol consumption with a peer or even a fellow adult. Agree or disagree?

Oh, and by the way, I'm not saying that the kid shouldn't have rebuked the advances if he didn't want them, I'm just saying that, IMO, the other issues involved make the willingness of the kid completely irrelevent. Foley was in a position of power, and he was using it to go after high school students.

Regardless, he's resigned and hopefully will soon be getting both the punishment he deserves and the help that he needs. I'm much more concerned about the cover up at this point than I am with the Foley's bad behavior.

I'd say that both teens did not accept sex, but may be somewhat flirtatious.

i.e. Would you hold a 16-year-old male to the same standard as a 60-year-old male?

Explain your answer.

As a follow up:

Even a twelve-year-old could be fully physically developed, flirting, wearing a bikini, and basically oblivious to the consequences that might follow alcohol consumption with a peer or even a fellow adult. Agree or disagree?

I already explained myself, but while we're asking questions:

Would you hold a 16-year-old to the same standard as a 12-year-old?

Explain your answer.

I think the 16 year old kid is really smart. I mean, why else did he keep the logs of the conversations? It's either awesome blackmail of a senator or a nice cash payout from a news agency (ABC). If someone famous person started hitting on me, I'd totally record it all and get rich quick.

tripp.gif

I think the 16 year old kid is really smart. I mean, why else did he keep the logs of the conversations? It's either awesome blackmail of a senator or a nice cash payout from a news agency (ABC). If someone famous person started hitting on me, I'd totally record it all and get rich quick.

You think?

Even if that's true...does it matter? Does that change the implications of Foley's behavior one single bit?

It should and it most definitely should change the symantics of how it's being discussed...that he 'preyed' or 'seduced' or whatever.

Does it absolve him of the fact that his actions are the complete opposite of his public/politcal stance/statements? Nope. Does it absolve him of the fact that it's a complete lack of ethics relative to the postion he's in? Nope.

I kept logs of all of my AIM chats (back when I used it), and I think it is automatically enabled. Sometimes I needed to go back and get information that came across through chat. I do the same for google chat through gmail. It's not much different from transcripts of your emails.

Anyway-

I already explained myself, but while we're asking questions:

Would you hold a 16-year-old to the same standard as a 12-year-old?

Explain your answer.

I only said "Explain your answer" because I was hoping to hear actual reasoning from people (not necessarily you), as opposed to a yes or no answer. I wasn't trying to offend.

Obviously, four years makes a difference here. In four years, a twelve-year-old is sixteen. In four years, a sixteen-year-old is 20. I don't think that physical maturity or standards like "Acting like an adult" should be involved here.

The key factor is brain maturity, in my opinion. Ability to make ethical decisions. Maybe even the kid engaged in a kind of entrapment. I don't know that entrapping someone or manipulating them is a sign of brain maturity, either.

In this case, though, it's beyond simple manipulation or borderline-ethical blackmail on the kid's part. Foley was way out of line, and it sounds like he had this coming.

I wouldn't hold a twelve-year-old to the same standards as a sixteen-year-old, and I would not hold a sixteen-year-old to the same standards as a 20-year-old (still not old enough to drink legally).

Something about young boys thrills the Representative. If he wanted a gay lover, he could've found one. But that's not it. This is only partly about his homosexuality (which is only an issue because Republicans find it repugnant and he happens to be one).

To foley, there is something special about a sixteen-year-old. Think: sweet sixteen. Does sweet sixteen mean welcoming your daughter to the world of casual sex with other adults?

Finally, just for the sake of argument. On brain maturity:

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~news/releases/2006/02/06.html

For the study, Baird and graduate student Craig Bennett looked at the brains of nineteen 18-year-old Dartmouth students who had moved more than 100 miles to attend college. A control group of 17 older students, ranging in age from 25 to 35, were also studied for comparison.

The results indicate that significant changes took place in the brains of these individuals. The changes were localized to regions of the brain known to integrate emotion and cognition. Specifically, these are areas that take information from our current body state and apply it for use in navigating the world.

"The brain of an 18-year-old college freshman is still far from resembling the brain of someone in their mid-twenties," says Bennett. "When do we reach adulthood? It might be much later than we traditionally think."

El F., though, I gotta add. With all due respect, you still didn't answer my question. Is there a difference between a sixteen-year-old gentleman caller or a 60-year-old gentleman caller, both interested in sex, both moderately tempted by the prey? Or should they be held to the same (perhaps very low) standard?

It should and it most definitely should change the symantics of how it's being discussed...that he 'preyed' or 'seduced' or whatever.

This is fair, except that it only really applies to the particular kid that came out with it. But there are some reports that he's been doing similar things with pages for 10 years. I'd imagine that they weren't all so willing, and the fact that there were several and he repeated the behavior over the years sure seems to indicate that he was the aggressor in whatever sort of relationships occurred.

No way in hell. But maybe the page is gay too. Either way, he certainly has bad judgment.

And so does Foley.

My point is this, though: Foley is 60, and the boy is 16. I'd think that one of the two would have better judgment.

As far as the whole entrapment thing is concerned. I'm suspicious of it whether it's a private citizen or the police. I think that entrapment is illegal for a reason- it is unethical.

I saw an interesting clip from CSPAN of Foley speaking to a graduating class of pages. He

was very emotional and personal with them, and in hindsight, it was rather odd.

As far as the whole entrapment thing is concerned. I'm suspicious of it whether it's a private citizen or the police. I think that entrapment is illegal for a reason- it is unethical.

But that scene where Catherine Zeta Jones moves her butt under lasers was hot.