Good news: Scientists have discovered a cure for hiccups

Bad News: The cure is to stick a finger up your arse

Teen repellent is Ig Nobel winner

A device that repels teenagers has won the peace prize at this year's Ig Nobels - the spoof alternative to the rather more sober Nobel prizes. Welshman Howard Stapleton's device makes a high-pitched noise inaudible to adults but annoying to teenagers.

Other winners included a US-Israeli study into how a finger up the rectum cures hiccups and a report into why woodpeckers do not get headaches.

All the research is real and published in often prestigious journals.

Unlike the recipients of the more illustrious awards, Ig Nobel winners get no cash reward. Nevertheless eight of the 10 winners this year paid their own way to receive their prizes in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Marc Abrahams, editor of science humour magazine Annals of Improbable Research, which co-sponsors the awards, said: "The prizes are intended to celebrate the unusual, honour the imaginative - and spur people's interest in science, medicine and technology."

Real-life Nobel Laureates demonstrated winning research. The winners are given a one-minute acceptance speech, the time policed by a loud eight-year-old girl.

This year's winners included:

Maths: How many photos must be taken to almost ensure no-one in a group shot has their eyes closed, by Nic Svenson and Piers Barnes

Ornithology: Why woodpeckers do not get headaches, by Ivan Schwab and the late Philip RA May

Nutrition: Why dung beetles are fussy eaters, by Wasmia al-Houty and Faten al-Mussalam

Acoustics: Why the sound of fingernails scraping on blackboards is so annoying, by D Lynn Halpern, Randolph Blake and James Hillenbrand

Medicine: The Termination of Intractable Hiccups with Digital Rectal Massage, by Francis Fesmire, Majed Odeh, Harry Bassan and Arie Oliven.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5411816.stm

ah, but do you have to shove your own finger up there or get someone to creep up on and do it themselves?.. there's a big difference there

you are wise beyond your years :lol

I think I'll stick to a spoonful of peanutbutter, that sounds more comforting. :D

:lol

up the arsehole? :no

you are wise beyond your years :lol

well, i thought the original hiccup cure is to get someone to scare. if i foreign finger travels up my arse, i'd get a bit scared - so this must be old news :lol