I can't believe no one has posted about the show last night, I just walked into work on about four hours sleep, so I must be brief. HOLY CRAP they sound good these days my eighth show, and by far the best sound and feel for the band. christ for president was a highlight, new song ROCKS 80's arena style complete wit gratuitous drum solo and lights. Jeff was very talkative, got a little choked up once but seemed to be in a great mood. Some girl threw her panties on stage, and he went on about that for a while, and how he always wanted to be David Lee Roth. He was really funny and thanked all the fans for all there support and said we "ROCKED" and how privileged he was to be here,etc. Very sincere! He commented once or twice on what a great venue it was"nice place you got here" the crowd was great, talked to a lot of cool people, not that I care but those around here who keep score the crowd did not sit down once. The sound was SONIC :thumbup

I don't think many VCers were at this one... It was pretty good. I didn't get a set list (oops), but it was similar to the Tall Stacks show, with the addition of Jesus Christ for President, Poor Places/ Reservations (and probably some others), and they didn't play Forget the Flowers.

When the band came back after the girl threw her panties, he asked her, "Was that you? I'm mortified for you." But then said it was "refreshing" and like "the glory days."

I'm not good at reviews, so I'll leave it at that for now, and maybe I'll try to reconstruct a setlist.

mchchef, I'm glad you enjoyed our city!

Thank you,

My third time seeing Wilco in Jefferson Co. I lived in German town for three years, I preach to anyone who will listen that Louisville is one of the great mid-sized cities in America :cheers I'll be back on Thursday to see GOMEZ :rock Do you ever check out WFPK live lunch's, I saw Sebadoh do one about four years ago, one of the most unique musical experience you'll ever have. I wonder if they could ever get JT to do one? It being first come first serve I am sure there would be a mob scene. After seeing literally hundred's of shows in Louisville over the past few decades, I can't believe I had never even heard of the Iroquois Theater, been to the park, did not even know there was an amphitheater. Did anyone else get the flyers for the Jay Bennett

I don't think many VCers were at this one... It was pretty good. I didn't get a set list (oops), but it was similar to the Tall Stacks show, with the addition of Jesus Christ for President, Poor Places/ Reservations (and probably some others), and they didn't play Forget the Flowers.

When the band came back after the girl threw her panties, he asked her, "Was that you? I'm mortified for you." But then said it was "refreshing" and like "the glory days."

I'm not good at reviews, so I'll leave it at that for now, and maybe I'll try to reconstruct a setlist.

mchchef, I'm glad you enjoyed our city!

Sounds like a fun show. And of course they play Poor Places/Reservations the day before I see them and then the day after :P. Looking forward to seeing the setlist? Did you see any tapers?

--Mike

Thank you,

My third time seeing Wilco in Jefferson Co. I lived in German town for three years, I preach to anyone who will listen that Louisville is one of the great mid-sized cities in America :cheers I'll be back on Thursday to see GOMEZ :rock Do you ever check out WFPK live lunch's, I saw Sebadoh do one about four years ago, one of the most unique musical experience you'll ever have. I wonder if they could ever get JT to do one? It being first come first serve I am sure there would be a mob scene. After seeing literally hundred's of shows in Louisville over the past few decades, I can't believe I had never even heard of the Iroquois Theater, been to the park, did not even know there was an amphitheater. Did anyone else get the flyers for the Jay Bennett

Hey, I live in Germantown! I've been to a few Live Lunches. They have such a great little performance space. If they could get JT to do one... There have been a few bigger names that they've done that were members only to avoid a mob.

I didn't get a Jay Bennet flyer, but he's playing Uncle Pleasant's on Oct 23 (Monday).

Where do you live now? You must be close enough to keep coming to shows. When do you think you'll get in town Thursday? Maybe my husband and I could meet you for a beer?

Sounds like a fun show. And of course they play Poor Places/Reservations the day before I see them and then the day after :P. Looking forward to seeing the setlist? Did you see any tapers?

--Mike

I saw at least one taper, maybe two.

Edited by ajarwithaheavylid
Hey, I live in Germantown! I've been to a few Live Lunches. They have such a great little performance space. If they could get JT to do one... There have been a few bigger names that they've done that were members only to avoid a mob.

I didn't get a Jay Bennet flyer, but he's playing Uncle Pleasant's on Oct 23 (Monday).

Where do you live now? You must be close enough to keep coming to shows. When do you think you'll get in town Thursday? Maybe my husband and I could meet you for a beer?

Morehead, I'm The Ex. Chef for the university, are you guys soing to Gomez(man I love this new album) the schedule is still unclear, have to pick up some friends in Lex. as the day gets closer if we can work out a time, I'd love to. I love all the funky "whole in the wall"bars in GT :beer

Morehead, I'm The Ex. Chef for the university, are you guys soing to Gomez(man I love this new album) the schedule is still unclear, have to pick up some friends in Lex. as the day gets closer if we can work out a time, I'd love to. I love all the funky "whole in the wall"bars in GT :beer

I wasn't planning on going to Gomez. I'm all out of concert funds, with Wilco twice this last weekend and My Morning Jacket coming up in November. Let me know if you want to meet up! :cheers

~Kelley

I thought last night's show was just exquisite in every way.The venue,the crowd & the weather combined made for a perfect fall evening.

I won't subject the setlist to too much scrutiny...it was quite similar to the other shows so far on the tour,but when the band is playing like they are you really can't complain.Christ for Prez kinda surprised me.Muzzle of Bees was very very good...love the use of loud/soft dynamics there.Poor Places>Reservations made the show for me along with Ashes....Nels' solo is just killer there,he owns that tune! The mood was far less somber both onstage & in the crowd (compared to Laffy).....the band really appeared to be enjoying themselves,lots of big grins back & forth.

It was nice to meet some VCers there too.You gotta say one thing:this band has a very cool fanbase,that's for sure!

I know I talked about this briefly last night after I arrived home,but DAMN the Iroquois is the shit! Anyone here that lives close enough should do themselves a favor & check it out :thumbup

I thought last night's show was just exquisite in every way.The venue,the crowd & the weather combined made for a perfect fall evening.

I won't subject the setlist to too much scrutiny...it was quite similar to the other shows so far on the tour,but when the band is playing like they are you really can't complain.Christ for Prez kinda surprised me.Muzzle of Bees was very very good...love the use of loud/soft dynamics there.Poor Places>Reservations made the show for me along with Ashes....Nels' solo is just killer there,he owns that tune! The mood was far less somber both onstage & in the crowd (compared to Laffy).....the band really appeared to be enjoying themselves,lots of big grins back & forth.

It was nice to meet some VCers there too.You gotta say one thing:this band has a very cool fanbase,that's for sure!

I know I talked about this briefly last night after I arrived home,but DAMN the Iroquois is the shit! Anyone here that lives close enough should do themselves a favor & check it out :thumbup

Glad to hear you and Bub got a good show, Dad. :)

Finally have a sec to post with catching up on work all morning after my early flight got in from Louisville. OUTSTANDING SHOW. Iroquois Amphitheatre is gorgeous, and as previous posts have highlighted, this venue is truly a gem to behold. Very intimate for an outdoor venue and incredible acoustics. Even before Jeff admitted on how truly honored they felt to play in such a beautiful place, it was simple to get a sense of how special it was to be present on this comfotable and cozy autumn evening.

The set and show itself left nothing else to be desired. The fellas came out bursting with energy :dancing which came off as very contagious to the crowd as the show had a perfect flow, mixing some really nice rarities with passionate versions of the classic staples. :rock Nels was absolutely on fire all night, quickly putting to rest that this particular show was set up for any lulls, they seemed to find their groove very quickly and never gave themselves an opportunity to stray away from delivering one of those trademark Wilco rock shows. Jeff even gave permission as he encouraged screaming during Kingpin to take the day off from work, or avoid your co-workers because you attended a "rock concert" last night and lost your voice. The band gave off the impression that they were in rare form, and extremly comfortable to be playing for the very appreciative crowd.

Out of the 6 Wilco shows I've seen, this being the first one outside of Chicago or Illinois, this easily ranks up there as one of my favorite shows. I took my dear friend from Louisville, this was her first Wilco show, and she left with that awe struck seizure feeling :-O , that so many of us find familiar on any given night of a tour. With the band so intent on delivering a spectacular show, and a very eager and willing crowd, it was impossible not to get caught up with all the joys that accompained such a wonderful night. I can only hope they someday get an opportunity to play there again.

Def saw at least 2 tapers as well :worship

Def saw at least 2 tapers as well :worship

Oh yeah? I saw three. :P

That being said, I got nothing to add. Your review was spot on.

I was at Purdue, Tall Stacks, and Louisville this week and this one was definitely the best of 'em. What a great week for me and for the band.

we ought to attempt a setlist, but on my end that would be a trainwreck waiting to happen... I could name the songs, the order on the other hand :ermm

I know they opened with

Shot in the Arm

Handshake

Impossible Germany

and somewhat blurry from there on out....

encore 1

Late Greats

Christ for Prez?

War On War

encore 2

Heavy Metal Drummer

Rock Myself

Kingpin

Mystic put this up in the Reflecting Off of Your CD thread: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=500880.

Here's the setlist

1. A Shot In The Arm

2. Handshake Drugs

3. new song (presumably Impossible Germany)

4. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

5. Muzzle of Bees :wub

6. At Least That's What You Said

7. Jesus, Etc.

8. Airline To Heaven

9. Christ for President

10. Walken

11. Theologians

12. I'm The Man Who Loves You

13. Poor Places

14. Reservations

15. Hummingbird

Encore One

16. The Late Greats

17. Ashes of American Flags

18. War On War

Encore Two

19. Heavy Metal Drummer

20. new song (probably Wreck/Rock Myself)

21. Kingpin

Damn this campus firewall! I'd be downloading this right now.

--Mike

I'm in agreement with everyone...the show was great. Great venue, great weather and a full moon....only not quite a "Harvest Moon".

My wife and I have been to about 6 Wilco shows over the years and this was by far her best experience at a show. This has to be my 2nd favorite Wilco show my first being Rock the River about 6 years ago.

WFPK definitely keeps this city cool. Without that radio station i wonder what this town would be like.

Oh hell! OK, I had the chance to go. I STILL don't have the pool closed and I really really wish I had taken you up on the offer. What a lousy decision I made.

Here's the review from the local paper: Courier Journal Review

Enthusiastic Wilco shines shines at Iroquois at Iroquois

By Paul Curry

Special to The Courier-Journal

Wilco's Sunday night appearance at the Iroquois Amphitheatre was an expensive gamble. With tickets pushing the $30 mark in a venue subject to the whims of the weather and a music community that has fallen out of the habit of seeing high-ranking national acts, everybody involved, from the promoters to the patrons and performers, had a lot on the line.

But while the stakes were high, the night came through like an inside straight. The weather was astonishingly perfect. The show sold out, and the band played with an enthusiasm that suggested a kind of disbelief in the circumstances. Jeff Tweedy, Wilco's lead singer/songwriter, complimented the venue and expressed an uncharacteristic humility for the opportunity to play here.

Wilco's set leaned heavily on material from its two most recent studio albums, "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" and "A Ghost is Born," where the band's sound has taken a shift away from straight alt-country into more experimental territory. With former Sonic Youth collaborator Nels Cline playing lead guitar, the band's affinity for noisy bridges and breakdowns was assured, and while Tweedy's lyrics sometimes suggest Brill Building standards, his underlying message has become more ironic and dark.

Tweedy's attitude toward performance came through with a dose of cognitive dissonance, for instance. At one point he sang, "I got a million better things to do than to play rock and roll for you," but later, as an aside, he lamented that he wished he could be David Lee Roth circa the heyday of Van Halen. On the other hand, the band's sound is arguably more aggressive and less accessible than any standard definition of rock 'n' roll, so maybe his point is that he is playing something else.

At the end of the second encore, Tweedy encouraged audience members to scream as loud as they could in order to become "unburdened" and to achieve a hoarseness that might help them avoid talking to co-workers on Monday. The subsequent roar might have been heard county-wide.

The 40-minute opening set by Early Day Miners, an eight-piece band with two drummers and four guitars, was highlighted by two 10-minute-plus instrumentals that pulsed and raged with pounding rhythms and subtle textures, resulting in a wild intensity as well as a contrary lulling calm.

• 4 months later...

So pissed I missed this, the day after my birthday no less. I was pre-occupied with starting grad school and didn't even know this show was happening until I saw the C-J review. I beg Wilco to come back soon and play Iroquois again (or at least a place about as cool). I've only seen summer musicals and things like that over there but it's a fantastic place.