M. Ward, Old Crow, Neil Young and Clapton - Philly

Just capped of a little run of four shows in three weeks - thought I'd check in. All in Philly and all were great. The M. Ward show was pretty well reviewed in these forums, but I just can't say enough about how good that M. Ward show was - get in your car and go see him.

The Old Crow Medicine Show is another must see. They do two sets of energized, passionate and sympathetic bluegrass. However, after seeing these guys a couple times now, I can see that they are not just a bluegrass nostalgia act - they are really good songwriters and, for a bunch of young kids, really skilled. It's a great time - check 'em out.

Next up - Neil Young at Farm Aid. The Philly version of Farm Aid was nothing like the Chicago version last year. Our lineup was pretty weak - so a bunch of us just got wasted and went in to see Neil. A bit disappointing - as he played only five songs, but just seeing Neil is such a treat. He played Human Highway, Harvest Moon, Field of Opportunity, a new tune and Four Strong Winds (so, three songs from Comes a Time). Neil sounds great and had a lot of energy - just an abrupt ending (maybe a curfew issue). Not much else to report there, but not such a good Farm Aid showing in Philly - place was packed, but the lineup was pretty lame.

Finally, I saw Clapton last night. I grew up on Derek and the Dominos and EC's early solo stuff (as well as Cream, of course), but I wasn't about to pay $75 to see him at a big arena. However, never before seeing him and really just looking to check it off the list - I was able to score some tix from work. I had the same feeling that I did when I went to see the Stones a couple months back, basically "check the box" and see some legends. However, I got a big surprise.

The show was spectacular. The song selection was really perfect. He played the songs he had to play (Layla, Cocaine, After Midnight, I Shot the Sheriff and Crossroads), but he played about 8 deep tracks that were just amazing (Anyday, Got to Get Better in a Little While, Motherless Children, I am Yours, Running on Faith, Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out and Further on Up the Road). Clapton's voice sounded perfect - eyes shut and you're in 1973. And the guitar playing...

Man, he assembled a band that included Doyle Bramhall II and Derek Trucks on guitar - and these guys shredded. As they passed the solos around (and really jammed quite a bit), it was just unbelievable how each time you couldn't help but notice how good Bramhall and Trucks were - but, then right after each of their blistering solos - Clapton would come in and just blow them away. He's so clean and he has such tone. He navigates the fretboard like nobody I've ever seen. Every note means something. Just a real treat. He also did a four song acoustic set with Derek Trucks on slide guitar that was just icing on the cake.

All in all - a great little run. The best part being that the great city of Philadelphia has another little run coming up - Beck, Mojave 3, Bob Dylan and My Morning Jacket.

Great review Seltz ... especially the Clapton show which sounds outstanding. Old Crow Medicine Show opened for Gillian Welch and David Rawlings a couple of years ago in NE Indiana, and it was stellar. David played with OCMS as they opened the show, but was introduced as "Bubba" or something misleading :lol . But their show was really fun, cuz I love me some banjo and fiddle.

You have some amazing shows coming up as well!

The Old Crow Medicine Show is another must see. They do two sets of energized, passionate and sympathetic bluegrass. However, after seeing these guys a couple times now, I can see that they are not just a bluegrass nostalgia act - they are really good songwriters and, for a bunch of young kids, really skilled. It's a great time - check 'em out.

Old Crow M S was fantastic at Tall Stacks in Cincy playing before Wilco

Bluegrass isn't always my thing, but they are extremely talented and give a great show

Would have loved to see OCMS open for Wilco. OCMS introduced themselves in Philly as John Kruk, Lenny Dykstra, Mike Schmidt, Ron Jaworski and Walt Whitman. Pretty classic.

That's funny.

I saw them at the Newport Folk Festival couple of years ago (the year Wilco played) and they were phenomenal. They were playing on one of the small stages and they rocked.

That's funny.

I saw them at the Newport Folk Festival couple of years ago (the year Wilco played) and they were phenomenal. They were playing on one of the small stages and they rocked.

I agree! i saw that same set at Newport and they were the biggest surprise band for me the two days i was there.

That's funny.

Me too. I was at Newport. A day or two after Wilco in Portland, Maine. A friend who knew of them made sure I caught their set. So glad I did. B)

Yeah, Clapton's definately still got it. I saw him like five years ago (if that counts as "still") and he blew me away. I'm a bit too young to have seen him in his hayday but I grew up listening to Cream, so it was a real treat. He played a version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" on solo electric that almost made me cry.

Glad you had a good time.