If you ever doubted that there ought to be a death penalty

My wife, mother, cousin, and two of my cousin's wives are all taking a trip to NYC this winter, and have already spent $600 on tickets for this show. I just sent them all the NY Times review. I think I'll be cooking for myself for quite some time... :(

hello ebay!

You did the right thing, friend. You did the right thing.

Better to warn them.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You did the right thing, friend. You did the right thing.

Better to warn them.

Just talked to my dad about this issue, and he made the valid point that the show may be shut down by the time the ladies are to make their trip... :D

While most of us and this reviewer wouldn't really like this show, that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of others that will. Frankly I found the song selection fairly mundane, and allegedly Twyla Tharp listened to most of Dylan's calalogue. there must be a market for this stuff because these kinds of shows keep on coming. Let's be honest, the American musical theater just isn't what it used to be, so they have to keep finding movies to turn into musicals and create shows from artists back catalogues to try and please the tourists. Luckily this is one they didn't try out in Chicago.

LouieB

While most of us and this reviewer wouldn't really like this show, that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of others that will.

I guess thats right, but I can't figure out who this show is catering to. Most people either love Dylan or hate him. Know him well enough to get the reference to Captain A-rab or don't. If you love Dylan enough to catch the references, why would you want to spend money to go watch this re-creation of his music? And if you hate Dylan, why would you want to spend money to watch this? I guess maybe people are curious so they take a shot hoping it will be good.

Bottom line: go see the real thing. He's still around and he still kicks ass.

I know what you mean, this show seems totally superfulous, but someone must think these types of shows are a good idea and when well done, such Mama Mia, whatever the Four Seasons one is called, Movin Out and Tommy (none of which I can imagine attending), they must attract a decent audience, since all of those played for awhile. There have been a whole bunch of lousy ones, several mentioned in the review, so just like any show, I guess it is possible to present someone's body of work well or badly. I mean Cats was based on some TS Elliott poems and while I also wouldn't want to see that either, it was one of the longest running shows on Broadway ever.

Then again consider that two popular cult comedies, Holy Grail and the Producers, became two of the biggest hits on Broadway in recent years. Things have come a long way from the good old days, that's for sure.

LouieB

Whoa...that sucked! Thru the muck though I heard the sound of a familiar guitar...anybody know if JJ Jackson's playing on that?

Bob has nothing to do with the SF press conf dvd. It's another one of the half dozen subpar Dylan dvd's that have hit the market recently. I'll get this one though...absolutely hilarious!

Mother of Babbling Jeezus,is nothing sacred anymore? Wtf is next,"The Fat Man Rocks--the JG musical"??

Honestly, I'd like to see it...

if I liked throwing up in my mouth. :barf

Can anyone tell me why Dylan supported this? How much blame do we place on him? Did the New York Times reporter see this before designating a featured article in their usually awesome Sunday magazine?

I've never seen so many highly respected institutions (Bob Dylan - yes he IS an institution, Twyla Tharp and Co., and The New York Times) have such poor judgment simultaneously.

*note I did not include The View in that list.

Can anyone tell me why Dylan supported this? How much blame do we place on him?

I dont put any blame whatsoever on Dylan. I put this in the same category as artists that allows others to sample their music for either rap or mashups or otherwise without crying copyright infringement. There are other -- in many cases -- artistic ways for existing music to be used and expanded upon by others. The fact that Tharp made a schlock of a broadway show doesnt in any way shine a bad light on Dylan in my mind. I didnt see anything that said that Dylan did anything to support this other than to simply allow his music to be used.

I'd be interested to hear how much he gets paid off of this though. I imagine he gave the rights to the songs. And I would think he got paid for it. But I cant imagine that he has any right or ability to dictate how the show is written or produced or presented.

I dont put any blame whatsoever on Dylan. I put this in the same category as artists that allows others to sample their music for either rap or mashups or otherwise without crying copyright infringement. There are other -- in many cases -- artistic ways for existing music to be used and expanded upon by others. The fact that Tharp made a schlock of a broadway show doesnt in any way shine a bad light on Dylan in my mind. I didnt see anything that said that Dylan did anything to support this other than to simply allow his music to be used.

I'd be interested to hear how much he gets paid off of this though. I imagine he gave the rights to the songs. And I would think he got paid for it. But I cant imagine that he has any right or ability to dictate how the show is written or produced or presented.

good points. if nothing else, his release of Self Portrait showed that Dylan will do with Dylan's music what he wishes--and fuck 'em if "they" got a problem with it...

still, in my gut I just wish I'd never heard of this whole project...

:stunned

The following is a review I read this weekend in the New Yorker. I had not seen it the week it came out. Not the last paragraph.

LouieB

IN THE WIND

by JOAN ACOCELLA

Twyla Tharp meets Bob Dylan.

Issue of 2006-11-06

Posted 2006-10-30

Four years ago,