R.E.M. Nominated for the Music Hall of Fame

I know all of the arguments against, and I can even respect a few of them, but how KISS wasn't in first ballot I have no idea. Even if you take away their brilliant stage show, theatrics and cultural impact, they made some damn good records. Especially the first six studio records which all came out in under four years time. That omits Alive which is still one of the best live records ever (even with the piped in crowd and overdubs) and the excellent Ace Frehley solo record, which I still listen too semi-regularly and have been since the early 80's. I heard there was a protest at last year's induction by KISS fans. If I lived closer I'd go to one this year. To steal a line from a latter, cheesier KISS song: "They try to tell us we don't belong / That's alright we're millions strong."

Black Flag? Deserving, yes, but the Rock Hall is so far behind on punk rock that the Stooges aren't even in yet. The Stooges. Priorities, people.

The Stooges deserve to be in, no doubt. But they also, for the most part, worked within the framework of the mainstream music industry. Black Flag played a HUGE part in creating an alternative system where bands could release their own records, book their own tours in non-traditional venues, etc. To me, Black Flag are as influential as Chuck Berry or Little Richard, in their own dirty, creepy-crawly way.

Here's the deal with me - since I prefer "60s" music - I hold everyone up to Beck/Bonham/McCartney/Entwistle/Howe/Buford, etc. -

And don't forget Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky , Mick and Titch.

The Stooges deserve to be in, no doubt. But they also, for the most part, worked within the framework of the mainstream music industry. Black Flag played a HUGE part in creating an alternative system where bands could release their own records, book their own tours in non-traditional venues, etc. To me, Black Flag are as influential as Chuck Berry or Little Richard, in their own dirty, creepy-crawly way.

That's fair. I was thinking only in terms of musical output, but Black Flag certainly made a huge impact on the industry through all of the things that you mentioned on top of their music. Minor Threat should probably get a good share of the credit too, but you're absolutely right that, in terms of how the music industry works (or at least how certain segments of the industry work), Black Flag had a more substantial impact than the Stooges (although I do think the Stooges are more important on a strictly musical level).