First non-Citizen Kane Welles picture I've ever seen. Totally awesome. I imagine I should be thankful it was the version that restored his 'vision.'

EDIT: Oh, wait I saw Magnificent Ambersons once, and really liked that too. This Welles guy is going places I tell ya.

The newest edition of this is really worth you having a look at then:

410zg6GiWtL._AA240_.jpg

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mind you, he didn't direct that one. Or write it. Joseph Cotten is the lead.

But it's a great, great flick.

Yeah, that's definitely one of the great greats--and it has one of the coolest "introduction of a character" moments ever filmed.

And this is a nifty companion piece: Vincent D'Onofrio's recent short film Five Minutes, Mr. Welles imagines how the killer last line from The Third Man's ferris-wheel scene might have been conceived. It's in beautiful black-and-white, filled with whimsy, and wistful about old cinema. But something more than simple nostalgia is at stake: While D'Onofrio the actor channels Welles (as he did in Ed Wood), D'Onofrio the director indulges in baseless speculation only to meditate upon the art, personality, and mystery of one of the great figures in American cinema. Good stuff.

9328_0023.jpg

The Outlaw / Howard Hughes / 1943

Western in which Jane Russell's cleavage creates a magical vortex where bullets go to die.

The newest edition of this is really worth you having a look at then:

410zg6GiWtL._AA240_.jpg

I'm a huge film noir fan and that is definitely one of the best the genre ever produced.

Speaking of Welles, another one worth checking out if you haven't is this one:

51SZ2XP9A1L._AA240_.jpg

Even though the studio made Welles cut a lot of scenes from it, this one's still a pretty good film noir. It's worth watching for Rita Hayworth alone.

The_Namesake%20-%20Poster.jpg

What I liked about this intimate epic spanning two generations--the first is a Bengali man and his wife who left Calcutta for NYC, the second is their grown son who now identifies with American culture rather than his parents' heritage--is how the movie never settles for superficial cultural and generational tensions. Instead, Nair, along with her amazing actors, has created a very real, very dynamic family. It's a movie about people rather than cultural tokens.

Watched School of Rock on FOX last night - still good stuff. Save for High Fidelity, Jack Black is just about insufferable in any other movie. Why the hell do filmmakers give him characters to play, when he as himself, rules?

I liked Jack Black a lot in Jesus' Son, and even Shallow Hal (a very underrated movie). But you're right--School of Rock was the last time he was enjoyable rather than insufferable. Lately he just seems to be playing overblown caricatures of himself.

It's been a long wait, but David Fincher has finally made a masterpiece. I loved everything about this movie.

Quite an interesting look at human obsession amidst one of the most interesting crime cases of the last few decades. Definitely one of my favorites from this year.

inva2.jpg

The '78 version was okay, but this one is still the best. I have no interest in the new one with Nicole Kidman. Why do we need yet another remake of this film?

next up:

51wN2bV1hkL._AA240_.jpg

best25posters-zodiac.jpg

It's been a long wait, but David Fincher has finally made a masterpiece. I loved everything about this movie.

Agreed. That, I believe, is easily Fincher's best work and one of my favorite films of the year by far. I believe I talked about it in this thread a long while back.

Just watched...and loved...this:

post-332432-1148004718.jpg

A great documentary I'd been meaning to catch for a long while now.

The '78 version was okay, but this one is still the best. I have no interest in the new one with Nicole Kidman. Why do we need yet another remake of this film?

The '56 version is by far the best... but I always welcome new updates, because, much like zombie movies, the body snatcher movies are malleable enough to have ripe metaphorical functions in each new era.

A great documentary I'd been meaning to catch for a long while now.

I think we talked about McElwee's Bright Leaves once before... did you ever catch up with that one?

I think we talked about McElwee's Bright Leaves once before... did you ever catch up with that one?

Yes, we did talk about it, I think. I haven't seen it yet, though I plan to do so very soon. I seem to recall you implying that you enjoyed it more than Sherman's March (I could be wrong here), and if that is the case then I am definitely looking forward to catching it.

As for Sherman's March, I could see how - at roughly 3 hours - it could wear a little thin and be a little much for some. But I thoroughly enjoyed it. The film wears the director's heart firmly on its sleeve. McElwee sets out to retrace Sherman's march (and kinda sorta does so) and explore its effects on the Southern psyche. Instead, he ends up examining his own psyche as he visits and revisits a number of failed romantic partners across the south. In the end, his travels in the footsteps of Sherman become more of an expedition in search for true love. It is a really nice film.

51eUy7LFMTL._AA240_.jpg

One of my all-time favorite films. It was nice to watch this on DVD after years of watching it on a poor quality VHS tape.

I was about ready to go to bed last night and then noticed this:

texas_chainsaw_massacre_two.jpg

was available for FREE On Demand. I went ahead and watched the whole thing then. Also noticed that both these:

AkiraPoster.jpg dig-poster-0.jpg

are available as well. Throw in 'Hot Fuzz' and '300' waiting at home via Netflix, going to be a lot movie watchin' over the enxt couple of weeks.

Couple of short documentaries made by Stanley Kubrick:

Day of the Fight / 1951

Flying Padre / 1951

And also a short made by Tony Scott while still a student:

One of the Missing / 1971

Couple of short documentaries made by Stanley Kubrick:

Day of the Fight / 1951

Flying Padre / 1951

And also a short made by Tony Scott while still a student:

One of the Missing / 1971

I remember when Natural Born Killers came out and Tarantino was mocking Oliver Stone for it, he said Tony Scott did him right with True Romance and he wanted Scott to make another of his screenplays. I wish that had happened.

now soon-to-be watching:

HALLOWEEN

my best friend since grade school, whom I don't think i've seen a movie with since natural born killers, and I made plans last night for him to come out the burbs and catch this the night it comes out. i was skeptical at first, but w/ every trailer and commerical i see i get more excited.

Watched School of Rock on FOX last night - still good stuff. Save for High Fidelity, Jack Black is just about insufferable in any other movie. Why the hell do filmmakers give him characters to play, when he as himself, rules?

I liked his role in Bob Roberts.