Citizens of the Windy City

We're breezing into town for the Friday show and are looking for someplace to eat (and maybe grab a nitecap after the gig). Where do the locals recommend for a nice pre-show meal?

There is a Harold's Chicken Shack one block south of Auditorium Theatre. Atleast there was 3 years ago when I went to both shows. Oh man, I love that place. There are so many options though really...

I'm not a Chicago resident, but I've been to quite a few Auditorium shows. Here's a few places I've been before/after the shows:

Exchequer Pub is a pretty decent place, not at all fancy or pretentious. Pizza, bar food. Very low key. They even have 10% off coupons on their website. This is where we saw LeRoy Bach before one of the Wilco shows (he was not in the band anymore, but still ;) ) They stop serving at midnight.

http://www.exchequerpub.com/default.htm

Then we've also eaten afterwards at Miller's Pub. This place has more photos of celebrities on the wall than you think is humanly possible. Some pretty cool R&R ones at that. I remember their food being pretty good but more expensive than Exchequer. The kitchen closes at 2 a.m., bar closes at 4.

http://millerspub.com/index.php

Then again, I had a great Irish coffee at Kitty O'Shea's after one Wilco Auditorium show. This is in the Chicago Hilton just 2 blocks south on Michigan Avenue from the Auditorium. They're open until 2. But don't park your car there -- it's 38 dollars! However, if money is no object, they have a pretty swank restaurant called Buckingham's, but bring your business attire, pearls and your AmEx card. Somehow this just doesn't scream out "Wilco fans" now does it? :yay

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/dining....ctyhocn=CHICHHH

I'm not a Chicago resident, but I've been to quite a few Auditorium shows. Here's a few places I've been before/after the shows:

Then we've also eaten afterwards at Miller's Pub. This place has more photos of celebrities on the wall than you think is humanly possible. Some pretty cool R&R ones at that. I remember their food being pretty good but more expensive than Exchequer. The kitchen closes at 2 a.m., bar closes at 4.

http://millerspub.com/index.php

I ate here when I went to the Pitchfork music festival, and I enjoyed it. Haven't been to the other places, but Chicago has plenty of great food very much within walking distance of the Auditorium Theater. I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding a place.

My goodness, GINO's East Pizza on Lincoln/Diversy for two great reasons.

1) Chicago style pizza has to be eaten in Chicago to understand why it is the greatest food invented and

2) Gino's East has parking! If you are driving, you don't want to deal with trying to find a meter, or paying for valet.

I also recommend Leona's, awesome fun Italian eatery that is perfect for people visiting Chicago, it is at Racine and Belmont, directly across the street from The Vic Theatre, home of Kicking Television.

I'm not sure about pre-gig, but if you want some laughs afterwards check out the Weiner Circle (2622 N Clark) - definitely the highlight of my last trip.

I wanted to go there and about 5 other places the last time I visited in August but nobody in that city knows where anything is. -- Especially the cab drivers.

If there's something you want to do in Chicago, before you go there research it extensively before you go and have exact addresses in hand.

I wanted to go there and about 5 other places the last time I visited in August but nobody in that city knows where anything is. -- Especially the cab drivers.

If there's something you want to do in Chicago, before you go there research it extensively before you go and have exact addresses in hand.

That's simply not true. But Chicago is a big city and some of the cabbies are not from here so you do have addresses. I mean if you are talking about some hotdog stand (which frankly there are hundreds if not thousands of), yea they ain't gonna know. You don't have to go 5 miles in Chicago to get a decent hot dog (if you consider hot dogs something decent.... :lol )

This reminds me, I have posted this before, but here is my explaination on how Chicago streets work.

LouieB

Here is the posting I did over a year ago about getting around in Chicago. I have amended it and cut stuff out that was true then or I though was funny then and isn

:thumbup Thanks for all the great info. We're having a lot of fun planning our day in the BIG city. I wish we had more time, but a day in Chicago is more fun than a week in Detroit (although there is a rash of cool new bars opening).

Thanks for the navigation tips Louie. Chicago is a snap to navigate compared to Detroit. Detroit is like a big spoked wheel half submerged in a river (except where the river curves) with random dimly lit one way streets. The downtown area is relatively small so you can't get too lost, but if you stray off the beaten path it gets rather dangerous quickly.

Where are the cool new bars in Detroit opening up? Corktown? Midtown? Perhaps I'll see if my friends want to try somewhere other than our usual (the Bronx and the Lager House) when I'm in town this weekend. Although I really do like to go to one or the other whenever I'm there.

fyi, lawrence is 4800 NOT 5200, foster is 5200 north.
Well at least someone read this to find my major gaffe. You are correct. I have no idea what I was thinking (or do you....???) Considering I get on the el at Lawrence nearly every day of my life, I have no idea why I made that mistake.

Oh yes and Greektown is always worth the ride.

LouieB

Where are the cool new bars in Detroit opening up? Corktown? Midtown? Perhaps I'll see if my friends want to try somewhere other than our usual (the Bronx and the Lager House) when I'm in town this weekend. Although I really do like to go to one or the other whenever I'm there.

Check out this place Cliff Bell's if you want a cool laid back atmosphere. It's also close to the Town Pump which is a bit rowdier and Centaur which I haven't been to, but sounds swanky.

Is The Bronx that bar on Cass by Wayne State? I've drank in an old bar over there, but can't remember the name. There used to be a coffee house (literally a house turned coffee shop) that hosted some great bands from time to time. I saw Medeski Martin & Wood there as well as Blonde Redhead. It was like seeing a band in someone's living room (complete with blown fuses).

The Buzz Bar in Greektown is also a cool place if your looking for live music. They usually have locals like Thornetta Davis, The Reefer Men, etc.

For sports I dig Coach's Corner over in Harmonie Park. And The Detroit Beer Co. (on Broadway) has good food, great beer, and has a great crowd to watch Pistons games.

Check out this place Cliff Bell's if you want a cool laid back atmosphere. It's also close to the Town Pump which is a bit rowdier and Centaur which I haven't been to, but sounds swanky.

Awesome. I may check Cliff Bell's out when I'm in town this week.

Is The Bronx that bar on Cass by Wayne State? I've drank in an old bar over there, but can't remember the name. There used to be a coffee house (literally a house turned coffee shop) that hosted some great bands from time to time. I saw Medeski Martin & Wood there as well as Blonde Redhead. It was like seeing a band in someone's living room (complete with blown fuses).

The Bronx might be the bar you're thinking of. It's not on Cass, but only a block away (at the corner of Second and Prentiss--just west of Cass and south of Warren). It's just a little dive bar with two great juke boxes and really good prices. I love that place. On Thursday nights you can even get your haircut there.

The Third Street Saloon used to also be very close to there. Closed a little over a year ago I think.

For sports I dig Coach's Corner over in Harmonie Park. And The Detroit Beer Co. (on Broadway) has good food, great beer, and has a great crowd to watch Pistons games.

I've been to Detroit Beer Co. a few times before Tigers games. For Pistons games though, if we ventured into the city, it was usually the Old Shelleleigh for some reason.

Funny that I'm here asking you for bars in Detroit on the thread where you're asking for bars in Chicago.