The Jewel In Your Vinyl Crown

No surprise here - The Mothers of Invention, Freak Out! on the original Verve label ... worth a couple pesos, since it's in mint playing condition.

Other contenders:

Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates of Dawn and the Masters of Rock Dutch import compilation.

My double album of Woody Allen's early 60s standup material.

Syd Barrett - The gatefold combo of Madcap Laughs and Barrett.

Firesign Theatre - How Can You Be In Two Places At Once When You're Not Anywhere At All?

The Velvet Underground & Nico

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My double album of Woody Allen's early 60s standup material.

Cool ! I have that one in mint condition. :cheers

On the Beach is the only slightly special vinyl release that I have.
Actually those are pretty hard to find...I have all the other NY from that time period but for some stupid reason I never got this one.....

LouieB

Wow, I can't believe two other people on this board have Woody Allen's standup on vinyl. What are odds of that??

Oral contraception: "Last week I asked a girl to go to bed with me, and she said, No. :lol

I have it too...I also have some Lenny Bruce on vinyl as well as Lord Buckley.

LouieB

Wow, I can't believe two other people on this board have Woody Allen's standup on vinyl. What are odds of that??

Oral contraception: "Last week I asked a girl to go to bed with me, and she said, No. :lol

I have early Woody, Bob Newhart and Jonathan Winters on vinyl too........all cheap finds at garage sales and resale shops.

B)-->

QUOTE(Paul B @ Jan 18 2007, 09:12 AM)

I have early Woody, Bob Newhart and Jonathan Winters on vinyl too........all cheap finds at garage sales and resale shops.

Yea, there was a time you could find all that kind of stuff at garage sales and resale shops. Most of my comedy/spoke word LPs are from these sources. Shelly Berman, Mort Sahl, etc. The Lord Buckley I had to actually pay more for, since they are rare. The Lenny Bruce were all cut-outs.

LouieB

I knew you had to have it, Lou.

If I have any albums you don't have, I'd be shocked.

The albums I don't have are the ones that cost alot of money. As a buyer of used records, I have spent many hours combing resale shops and used record shops. When I finally found the two Lord Buckley albums I had always wanted at a used record store and they were $20 each, I nearly nearly walked away.

Much of the rest of this stuff was found in less than perfect shape or cut outs. Also, there is no way to have everything, which fuels my continued search for things I didn't know I needed. :lol

My kids are heavily into Eddie Izzard (someone I had not heard of before Rosie brought his DVDs home) and so I played them some of Lenny Bruce at Carnegie Hall for comparision sake the other day. Amazingly even my son found stuff to laugh at with Lenny, whose rapid fire delivery and sometimes obscure references (historical figures and Yiddishisms) no longer have much resonance with younger listeners. But really the distance between Lenny and Eddie isn't all that far. (The funniest thing about Lenny is his constant snapping of his fingers as he is talking, a real sign of his times....)

LouieB

Guess I'll put this in the correct thread...

It's not a jewel in my vinyl crown, but I recently picked up Grizzly Bear's Yellow House limited (to 1000) LP, and it has a free copy of the CD in it. Pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot about this one:

rick_danko_cd.jpg

Found that one in a record store in Bloomington, Indiana while on tour with my brother's band this past summer. Its not an amazing listen, but considering that its been out of print for god-knows how long and its in basically mint condition, its an amazing find.