The Police may reunite in 2007

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, I'm almost embarrassed to admit this but if Sting released that lute album right after "...Nothing Like the Sun" I'dve been all about it.

I thought ...Nothing Like the Sun was a decent record (except for that awful "Little Wing" cover). After that one, though ... not so much.

I did like that live thing -- Bring On The Night.

I remember seeing a fair amount of footage of Sting and Copeland not getting along, some of which centered around Sting's complaints that Copeland was always speeding songs up when they played live.

Everyone Stares: The Police Inside Out was one of my favorite Christmas gifts this year... already watched it twice. It's all footage taken with Stewart's Super8 camera between 1978 & 1982. An absolute joy to watch, especially for a rabid Police fan like myself.

Can't stand solo Sting and all of his/its pompous-ness, but Police records taught me how to play guitar, and they're still the only band from whom I can play every song. Met my wife 20 years ago playing my first gig... in a Police cover band. They'll always hold a gigantic place in my heart.

Forgive me for going on and on, but... when I was 13, my sister's friends used to have me go wait on line at the local record store to buy tickets for them for concerts. I'd get up at 5:30, walk over to the Record Baron, be one of the first on line, and always get them primo seats for Journey, Van Halen, J. Geils, whomever they wanted me to get tickets for. As payment, they'd take me.

They had me get them tickets for The Police at the Meadowlands in 1981, the Ghost in the Machine tour. This was the first band of all the bands they took me to see that I was jumping out of my skin to see. I knew every song, every video (they called them promo films back then), had every issue of Creem with them on the cover... anyway, the day of the show, my sister decides that she's gonna use my ticket and I can't go. Apparently she caught wind that Sting was kinda cute. I was devastated. Didn't get to see them in '83 at Shea Stadium, or at any of those subsequent appearances (have seen all of them individually several times).

So needless to say, this would be my first time seeing The Police, and I'm screaming with excitement at the very possibility that it could happen. Guess I'll be going across the pond at some point this summer.

[/way-too-long-post]

Forgive me for going on and on, but... when I was 13, my sister's friends used to have me go wait on line at the local record store to buy tickets for them for concerts. I'd get up at 5:30, walk over to the Record Baron, be one of the first on line, and always get them primo seats for Journey, Van Halen, J. Geils, whomever they wanted me to get tickets for. As payment, they'd take me.

That's too bad, but this part is totally awesome.

I never saw them live, but from the footage and recordings I've heard, they never seemed like that great of a live band. I'd be interested in a new record, maybe, but I doubt I'd pay top dollar to see them play.

I agree. If anyone else say the "vintage" Police concert they aired on VH1 a few months back you know they weren't a phenominal live band. I was so disappointed I actually stopped recording the show.

so lonely imo will always remain the best song they've ever recorded and the best song they've ever done live. i still crank that one up every few months or so.

i'm a little mixed on them getting back to perform however. how many bands would've called it quits when they did? they had integrity and chose to leave at the top rather than continue to exist while on the downhill slide. i respected that. if these are just reunion gigs, then i guess that's ok, but i would hate to see new material released just because they got back together in the same room. it would only hurt their legacy. i'm thankful the beatles didn't do that...btw free as a bird, etc. didn't count as "new" beatles material imo.

I think I still have my Blue Turtles tape - but really, I prefer the white reggae period of Reggatta de Blanc and Zenyatta Mondatta albums above all else - particularly Reggatta de Blanc - I just love that album.

I saw them way back when they played The Forum in LA. Our seats were just a bit higher than stage level to the side and behind, but these 3 guys put on an astounding show IMO (I truly was blown away by that show). It was just 3 people and sounded like 5.

I will definitely be interested to see them again. Certainly there are reasons why some people will dis this. I sure don't agree with the Beatles and Stones comparison at all, but I think they'll fill some pretty big arenas.

And yes, bring on the old people jokes, they're hilarious! :lol

On the later tours, they had music "piped in" or "taped in".

If you see the video of the Syncronicity Tour....you can hear it.

He began his recording career in the 1960s as the guitarist for Zoot Money's Big Roll Band and its subsequent psychedelic-era incarnation, Dantalian's Chariot, both popular acts on the London club scene. Summers was a member for several months in early 1968 of the legendary Canterbury scene jazz fusion band Soft Machine, although he did not record with the group. He also recorded with Eric Burdon and the New Animals, and spent much of the 1970s doing prolific session work for Neil Sedaka, Joan Armatrading, Kevin Ayers, Kevin Coyne, Tim Rose, and Jon Lord, to name a few.

Some dudes may not know this - about Andy Summer.

On the later tours, they had music "piped in" or "taped in".

If you see the video of the Syncronicity Tour....you can hear it.

Here's a link to a timeline thingy, in case you wonder where/when you saw them perform. Like I did. I know it was The Forum in Inglewood, CA, so it had to have been in Feb 1982.

But this site lists there being 3 other guys on tour with The Police for that "Ghost In The Machine" tour. I sure don't remember seeing them! :lol (I could have been too busy looking at the 3 cutie blond boys, though :blush They were cute, yaknow ;) ) Or by then, like you say, they just prerecorded it.

http://www.scarlet.nl/~gugten/index1.html

Here's a link to a timeline thingy, in case you wonder where/when you saw them perform. Like I did. I know it was The Forum in Inglewood, CA, so it had to have been in Feb 1982.

But this site lists there being 3 other guys on tour with The Police for that "Ghost In The Machine" tour. I sure don't remember seeing them! :lol (I could have been too busy looking at the 3 cutie blond boys, though :blush They were cute, yaknow ;) ) Or by then, like you say, they just prerecorded it.

http://www.scarlet.nl/~gugten/index1.html

You may already know this - but back in the 70s/80s some bands hid extra guitar players and keyboard players - so that the audience could not see them.