Emmylou will be playing at the Pabst Theatre in Milwaukee (a wonderful venue) at the end of March. I am not very familiar with her work, though of course I've heard great things. Given that fact, if you were me, would you pay $69.00 plus fees and drive about an hour and a half each way to see this show? Advise me, please.

Kinda hard to respond to this as it's all subjective.

I love Emmylou, and I've seen her a few times but seventy bucks is steep.

I think you'd have to take into account if this is a solo performance or if she has a band backing her. Again, I've seen her both ways. Both were intimate settings and once in a beautifully restored 1930s theatre. I definitely wouldn't pay that much for solo gig.

Emmylou is a world class performer who has sung with just about anyone and everyone who was or is alive and matters. She has put out a string of great albums that goes back three decades with songs by a wide variety of top notch songwriters. Her more recent material is written by her or with assistance from the McGarrigles and others and tends to sound a bit like adult contemporary, but some of it is still very good. Although she is getting a touch old, her voice is still very strong (she can't hit quite all the high notes anymore) and if Buddy Miler is in the band it will be a great show.

I have been a fan since her first album and her first post-Gram tour. So while $70 is a touch high, she commands the respect of her peers and the concet prices of some of her male counterparts. In a sense she is a much a legendary performer as any number of other people you can mention. She is certainly the most famous "alt-country" female artist alive and holds her own with many of the classic country artists as well. But if you don't like country music, I would pass on this, because that is basically what she does. And she continues to carry Gram Parson's torch as well.

LouieB

It looks like she's playing solo. There are also $49.00 tickets, but I assume those are further back in the balcony or gallery, and if I made the trip I don't think that's where I'd want to be sitting.

If Gram were singing with her I might even pay $75!

hmm... i've only seen emmylou once and it was at a folk festival. she's a legend and has a great stage presence, but i'm not sure there's anyone i'd pay $70 to see...

i paid $60 each to see dylan and willie nelson recently, but i'd never seen bob and hadn't seen willie since my dad took me when i was just a little kid. those are both artists that i'd wanted to see before it was too late. i just don't think i could plop down the dough for emmylou.

Are you asking does she put on a "$70 Show" with fireworks, dancers and costume changes? No.

Are you asking whether $70 for a show is a rip-off? You don't stay in the biz this long by ripping people off.

My advice would be to go to the library, borrow a couple of her CDs, listen, then decide whether you want to invest the time and money into witnessing a performance.

Mind you, I have to drive long distances for every show. I saw Emmy Lou solo in Indianapolis in fall 2004 at the gorgeous venue where the opera is held, Clowes Hall on Butler University campus, and the price was $45 (before fees), and my seat was in the 4th row, so I went and really enjoyed the evening's performance. I'm so glad I saw her alone, although she was accompanied by Buddy Miller so it wasn't 100% solo, but it was her show instead of sharing the spotlight with others as I had seen her in the past (such as with the Sweet Harmony Traveling Revue tour, along with Gillian Welch, David Rawlings, and Buddy Miller, and of course more recently with Elvis Costello which was really outstanding).

But I kind of feel like now I've been there, done that, and if she came back to the same theater for that much higher price, I'm not sure I'd go.

Unless there was a dry spell in live shows for me. I gotta have my fix, yaknow? :whoo

Thanks, guys. I'll probably listen to some songs and go from there. I'm no stranger to driving long distances to shows when I have to (Milwaukee is downright close, actually) but I just think this all might be a bit too much since I don't have a previously existing burning desire to see the show.

yeah, i say wait, B. there will be more chances, hopefully some on the cheaper side (or the more exciting accompaniment side ;) ) and although the theater is nice, I kinda wonder if you would even stumble upon something a little more intimate.

i saw her at the Paramount Theater in Denver (if anyone knows that - a beautiful old well kept theater, complete with red velvet and gold sconces) which is a 1870 seated venue. It was with my parents, so it was an extra special show :) We also had a little treat at FarmAid, but there she was just a blonde dot with the gorgeous voice on the stage

This does seem a bit steep, but of course many of Emmylou's peers also get a pretty good amount for tickets.

Again, if you like what she does (country music, covering great singer/songwriters, and adult contemporary), this might not be too much. Otherwise give it a pass.

LouieB