Van Fkkn! Halen: Hall of Famers

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is quite an honor....

LouieB

While still married to Monroe, she took up with trumpeter Joe Guy as his common law wife and her drug dealer. She finally divorced Monroe in 1947, and also split with Guy. In 1947 she was jailed on drug charges and served eight months at the Alderson Federal Correctional Institution for Women in West Virginia.

Holiday also had a relationship with Orson Welles.

The guy who got me into Dylan also taught me about her.

This is a great thread, but now that I finally got around to reading it, I don't know who to talk about: Van Halen? Van Hagar? Billie Holiday? Ozzie?

Well, I'll weigh in on the Van Halen thing first, I guess. I read a very snarky music critic ragging on Van Halen in his blog or whatever earlier this week, citing some of the Sammy Hagar material. The fact is, you could take at least 3 or 4 songs off each of the first 3 Van Halen albums and make up an absolutely kickass rock mix. They were loud, over the top, and fun. And they could play well, too. Once Hagar joined ... meh. When I think of Van Halen, I think of the DLR years.

As for Billie Holiday, it's worth noting that John Hammond "discovered" her, then went on to discover Aretha Franklin, Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen. Pretty good track record! I'd recommend the Billie Holiday Live CD. You can get it on Amazon for about 2 bucks used or 9 bucks new (plus shipping), and it is fantastic. It also has tracks from different time periods, so it gives you an idea of her 1940s voice vs. her 1950s one - big difference, too. One of my fave Billie records.

All the early Columbia stuff is great, though, and I've got almost all of the "Quintessential Billie Holiday" series on CD now. Some audiophiles claim that there is some box set of these tracks that sounds better, but hell, they sound fine to my ears. These are recordings from the 30s and 40s, so we can't expect them to sound like Phil Spector productions. Oh no, I didn't mean to bring him up. Spector requires a thread all his own, or maybe two: one for the music and one for the legal problems.

I grew up a Van Halen fan and even though I eventually grew out of that stage, I think a lot of people overlook Eddie Van Halen's songwriting abilities. He wrote a bunch of great rock songs and was a riff master in his day. And despite is incredibly annoying personality, I give credit to DLR for having an ear for melody. They mixed over the top riffs with good melodies and lots of harmony backing vocals and came up with their own sound. Unfortunately most bands that followed in their footsteps picked up more on the obnoxious singer/front man and fast guitar player parts than the actual music part. So if there must be a RRHOF, then Van Halen belongs in it.

Having said that, however, I think the RRHOF is total bullshit.

• 2 months later...

R..E. M. should get Mr. Berry off that tractor, do a tour, and call it a day.

Begin The Begin - indeed.

I'd say this year it was pretty lame as the young people say - until I got to see the real R.E.M. play that song.

When they go on their reunion tour, they can also play these songs:

Cuyahoga

The Flowers of Guatemala

What If We Give It Away

Swan Swan H

Talk About the Passion

Perfect Circle

Time After Time (annElise)

Camera

Harborcoat

Good Advices

Driver 8

Oddfellows Local 151

I Remember California

The Wrong Child

You Are the Everything

Half a World Away

Strange Currencies

Daysleeper

Electrolite

Undertow

I'm a jazz fan, not a big jazz vocalist fan. I guess I respect her a lot more than I enjoy her.

In general I'd agree with that. I love scat, but instrumental jazz is always going to take precedence over vocals for me.

R..E. M. should get Mr. Berry off that tractor, do a tour, and call it a day.

Begin The Begin - indeed.

I'd say this year it was pretty lame as the young people say - until I got to see the real R.E.M. play that song.

When they go on their reunion tour, they can also play these songs:

Cuyahoga

The Flowers of Guatemala

What If We Give It Away

Swan Swan H

Talk About the Passion

Perfect Circle

Time After Time (annElise)

Camera

Harborcoat

Good Advices

Driver 8

Oddfellows Local 151

I Remember California

The Wrong Child

You Are the Everything

Half a World Away

Strange Currencies

Daysleeper

Electrolite

Undertow

i'd like to add Pretty Persuasion to that list

This remains my favorite REM song of all time.

And what was the deal with Buck launching his amp into the audience?

I didn't love that moment but I'm guessing it was due to poor sound quality. When they started playing, it really didn't sound good.... sort of muted. At any rate, it was a great tribute and a great performance by one of the best bands in history.

van hagar and the cbs orchestra were horrible. i could hear the terrible void left by eddies guitar. plus, i believe it was '86 when sammy was added to the band which completely changed the dynamic. it was van halen in name, but van hagar in reality. i believe 5150 was released in '86, which would mean that van hagar isn't eligible to be inducted untill 2011. but they wouldn't be worthy on their own merits. what exactly did sammy have to do to be included? if i were him, i would have been too embarrassed to have shown up, much less sing in a van halen tribute band that was performing a song that wasn't even sung by the true DLR led version. the memory of the true van halen deserved better than this.

I still wish they would make an acoustic album.

R.E.M. you mean? That is an astounding idea. Bill should be back though, get him back in for one last hurrah and then behead the creature. Add Country Feedback to that list you made up too.

Wish I could get to see that hall of fame thingy over here.

R.E.M. you mean? That is an astounding idea. Bill should be back though, get him back in for one last hurrah and then behead the creature. Add Country Feedback to that list you made up too.

Wish I could get to see that hall of fame thingy over here.

Exactly - I am sure you can find it on the web. I have been taping them since Vh1 began showing them.

Ever get the feeling that REM is too comfortable a place for the band members to want to leave? At least Buck branches out with the Minus 5 thing and Robyn Hitchcock and Tuatara but Mills and Stipe don't seem to do a whole lot in between tours of duty as REM.

van hagar and the cbs orchestra were horrible. i could hear the terrible void left by eddies guitar. plus, i believe it was '86 when sammy was added to the band which completely changed the dynamic. it was van halen in name, but van hagar in reality. i believe 5150 was released in '86, which would mean that van hagar isn't eligible to be inducted untill 2011. but they wouldn't be worthy on their own merits. what exactly did sammy have to do to be included? if i were him, i would have been too embarrassed to have shown up, much less sing in a van halen tribute band that was performing a song that wasn't even sung by the true DLR led version. the memory of the true van halen deserved better than this.

:yes