Okay, so about a year ago, I ordered O'Rourke's "Bad Timing" from Amazon and ever since his music has grown on me the way Wilco has meaning: anyone he has put it out I try to get. Out of his solo albums I have gotten "Eureka," "Halfway To A Threeway EP," and "Insignificance". I also of course have the Loose Fur CDs, and I have two of his albums with Gastr Del Sol "Camoufleur" and "Upgrade and Afterlife". But I still have a lot more to collect.

So in short, I was wondering if anyone else likes anyone of O'Rourke's discography. Out of everything I read with him, usually people like him or hate him.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like O'Rourke too. I'm actually listening to "Insignificance" on my old (somewhat new) turntable right now. It's definitely an overlooked gem, dare I say, a masterpiece.

Do you happen to have any live O'Rourke (other than Loose Fur)?

"I'd take your name if I thought it'd do me good. If it's all the same to you, I'll just take a look under your hood."

I wish I did. I have been dying to see the man in concert, but I do not think he does many shows. Do have any of his other albums. Insignificance is my second favorite, but Bad Timing is my first. Ever since I got it, it exploded my mind.

I fell in love with Jim through Insignificance but after repeated listens I believe Eureka to be his true masterpiece. I have a some of his other solo stuff, Loose Fur, and some Gastr Del Sol stuff. I have tried some of his other solo albums and found them to be a little bit on the side of overly avant-gardeish but to each his own. If you haven't heard his work with Sonic Youth (mainly Sonic Nurse) definitely check that record out because its absolutely incredible and his presence is certainly felt.

I actually have not bought any of his work with Sonic Youth (I have all of their albums pre-Goo and I have Goo), but I have heard good critical acclaim for his work as a band member with them on Sonic Nurse and Murray Street.

I wish I did. I have been dying to see the man in concert, but I do not think he does many shows. Do have any of his other albums. Insignificance is my second favorite, but Bad Timing is my first. Ever since I got it, it exploded my mind.

I saw the 12/7/02 Loose Fur show. And there was a Sonic Youth/Wilco show in Philadelphia in which O'Rourke played Laminated Cat with the band. Those are the only times I've ever seen him live. The Loose Fur show was amazing, though. Such a small venue, so close to the band members, such legendary heckling!

Did anyone here ever get ahold of his newest album "Translate Takemitu"? I'm pretty sure it was only released in Japan, so the import price on Amazon is pretty steep. From what I heard it was solo piano with some electronics. Anyone know anything else about it?

Did anyone here ever get ahold of his newest album "Translate Takemitu"? I'm pretty sure it was only released in Japan, so the import price on Amazon is pretty steep. From what I heard it was solo piano with some electronics. Anyone know anything else about it?

I posted about it being released in Nov. and some people commented on it. But I have not bought it yet, and no one else has mentioned anything.

:worship Owl and bear is quickly becoming my favorite website.

--Mike

Thanks! :cheers

I posted about it being released in Nov. and some people commented on it. But I have not bought it yet, and no one else has mentioned anything.

Maybe a request at a certain little piglet website is in order?

Weird, I haven't heard of this (and neither has This guy). But you have me interested... It appears to not be that expensive either (under 25 dollars on Amazon).

It looks like though, to me anyway, some home work is required, especially after reading Wikipedia's entry on Tōru Takemitsu.

I had a feeling that Jim was going to be in Japan working on Japanese music, but not like this. I would have figured him joining the ranks with the Improvised Music from Japan crew.

Phill Niblock! :music

I haven't heard of that release either. Isn't that one of the soundtracks to one of his films?

I dunno. My understanding is that it's a recording from the 90s that got re-released.

I dunno. My understanding is that it's a recording from the 90s that got re-released.

Looks like I need to make more room on my rack for the Jim O'Rourke section. He also has two CDs where he plays guitar in a Japanese improv/jazz group led by saxophonist Akira Sakata. Oi! :dancing

Damn it Jim, stop being so prolific! :hmm

Me too.

On a side note, I was just listening to his 2005 release Mizu No Nai Umi.

It sounds almost exactly like the drone at the end of "Less Than You Think". I guess we know where that came from.

really? I guess it kinda does. The Mizu disk is a lot more interesting tho. tons of subtle frequencies all over. Really differen't sound but the pace of both of them are about the same.