• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw "I'm Happy, I'm Singing and a 1-2-3-4" on Ebay. Sold for $50. :(

was this the cd or LP btw? I got the LP.

also did you used to be loper? if so I saw your requests for some O'Rourke boots on oink. I got one but its not a Sound Board. I can upload it tomorrow if you want. It's from 1999 at the Banana Hall in Japan. I'll prolly put it on my blog or something. Or I can give you the flac version that might be a good addition to your site.

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but I found this great interview of him that was done recently. It talks about what he is up to in Japan, and also sets the record straight that he did not move to Japan in order to make films.

Here's the link:

http://ronsen.org/monkminkpinkpunk/15/orourke.html

I actually have not bought any of his work with Sonic Youth (I have all of their albums pre-Goo and I have Goo), but I have heard good critical acclaim for his work as a band member with them on Sonic Nurse and Murray Street.
I have some of the regular SY albums with him and also his work prior to that. Some is very far out and pretty good. Gastr del Soul has its moments. Some of the other solo stuff I have heard (including Insignificance) is okay. I guess I am just not that fond of his "songs" and his singing.

LouieB

I have some of the regular SY albums with him and also his work prior to that. Some is very far out and pretty good. Gastr del Soul has its moments. Some of the other solo stuff I have heard (including Insignificance) is okay. I guess I am just not that fond of his "songs" and his singing.

LouieB

I'd be pretty much opposite, i guess. I have tried to give Sonic Youth every chance due to their wide acclaim, but just have never gotten into them. However, I love Jim O'Rourke. I love all of his solo stuff, his tracks on the Loose Fur albums are my favorites and (IMO) it is his contribution to the Wilco sound that made me a Wilco fan. I haven't really sought out O'Rourke Sonic Youth though. Is there any particular album where he is the dominant influence?

I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but I found this great interview of him that was done recently. It talks about what he is up to in Japan, and also sets the record straight that he did not move to Japan in order to make films.

Here's the link:

http://ronsen.org/monkminkpinkpunk/15/orourke.html

I think it's cool, that even though the interview is in English, he referred to his Japanese collaborators by surname first.

and I find myself agreeing with this almost 100% :

not really, i must admit i don

I gotta say, I'm one of the chin waggers that spread false rumors about Jim. I read that SY interview and can see how Lee Renaldo thought film and no music was Jim's M.O. More than anything that appears true, except he's still making music. Which is great. Sorry, to all the new Jim O fans who asked for new work, when I erroneously told them it wont come.

I'll say it again, Love Liza has a great soundtrack. Lots of Eureka.

"Movie on the Way Down"

Written and Performed by Jim O'Rourke

© 1999 Field Code Music (BMI)

Courtesy of Drag City

"Halfway to a Threeway"

Courtesy of Drag City

"Corpus Christi Carol"

Written by Benjamin Britten

Performed by Jeff Buckley

Courtesy of Columbia Records

By Arrangement with Sony Music Licensing

Benjamin Britten Corpus Christi Carol © 1981 by the Britten Estate Limited

All publishing rights exercised worldwide by Oxford Univesity Press

Used by Permission

All Rights Reserved

"Through the Night Softly"

Courtesy of Drag City

"Happy As Larry"

Written by Jim Blake

Courtesy of Extreme Productions Music Library PLC

"Song of All"

Written by Will Oldham

© 2000 Royal Stable Music (ASCAP)

Performed by Rian Murphy and Will Oldham

Courtesy of Drag City

"Ghost Ship in a Storm"

Courtesy of Drag City

"Good Times"

© 2001 Field Code Music (BMI)

Courtesy of Drag City

I haven't heard his work on Murray Street, though I'd like to. As for his solo material I am a fan of Eureka/Insignificance and well as the ep Halfway to a Threeway. The record I love, Bad Timing.

Yeah, I haven't heard any of his stuff with SY either. But I am huge fan of Bad Timing. Moreover, I am getting more into his earlier work, which is really pretty good.

Also, has anyone heard of a live disc called "In Bern" that he O'Rourke did with Lorne MazzaCane Connors. I got a few months ago, and I think it is just fantastic.

Also, has anyone heard of a live disc called "In Bern" that he O'Rourke did with Lorne MazzaCane Connors. I got a few months ago, and I think it is just fantastic.

No I haven't but I've been meaning to pick this up for a long time:

Mat Gustafsson/Sonic Youth with friends

Hidros 3

Swedish reedsman Mats Gustafsson has written five Hidros works, the other four having been interpreted by the NU-Ensemble and the Copenhagen Arts Ensemble. This third incarnation was specially prepared for an augmented Sonic Youth, featuring (amongst others) guitarist Loren Mazzacane Connors.

Although the disc is divided into separate tracks, Hidros 3 is really one extended piece, with no gaps whatsoever. Dedicated to Patti Smith, it frequently sounds like improvisation rather than composition. The piece was recorded live at its premiere in 2000. The players were housed in small rooms of the Art museum in Ystad, Sweden, during its KulturBro festival. Jim O'Rourke was in charge of the mixing, the only performer capable of filtering the composite whole. The audience were free to wander from chamber to chamber, experiencing various subjective perspectives of the performance.

Sounds really cool.