Fountains of Wayne

Guest Speed Racer

Definitely think they're great. I've always thought it's odd that Chris sings even the songs that Adam writes, even though Chris is the one with stage fright and anxiety issues.

All they're really going for is good, clever pop, and so I think it's kind of funny when people criticize them for being fluffy or poppy. It's like saying the Bulls suck at football.

Looking forward to hearing this. Have liked all of their albums so far, especially Interstate Managers.

wait... I've heard alot of good things about Fountains of Wayne but I've never actually listened to them.

They did that Stacys mom song!?!???

god that shit is horrible

...maybe I'll pass

If you don't like great pop-rock music....which I think Stacy's Mom is....you won't like Fountains of Wayne. But, to me, Fountains of Wayne is one of the best ever at crafting catchy, fun songs with interesting and/or fun/funny lyrics. None of their albums has disappointed me.

Utopia Parkway, to me, is their finest...lots of good stuff on that album.

Can't wait to hear the new one.

Robbie Fulks "Fountains of Wayne Hotline" still cracks me up. Really, criticizing them for being poppy is unfair. They are quite good at what they do and the only time I saw them they opened for Wilco....

LouieB

I like FoW, but not "Stacy's Mom", so there's that, too.

Exactly what I was thinking. Stacy's Mom is garbage, but they've got a lot of great stuff. Every other song on that album is great. Hey Julie is maybe a perfect song. I wish I wrote that for my gal.

I too dig the Fountains of Wayne, but can understand your reaction if your first impression was 'Stacy's Mom', my first impression was 'Radiation Vibe' which was refreshing compared to what was on Mtv at the time, you know back when Mtv played videos. It's hard to imagine not liking that band to some degree if you check out there albums.

the only time I saw them they opened for Wilco....

Summerfest?

In terms of both melody and lyrics, FoW is a terrific pop band, nothing more, nothing less. (I'm a big fan of all of their albums, with the exception of Out-of-State Plates--for the most part, those were castoffs for a reason, in my opinion.) I have to believe the widespread, aggressive loathing for "Stacy's Mom" is mostly related to its overexposure. When I first heard it--long before it ever reached radio saturation--I thought it was a pretty good pop tune, but I grew pretty damn sick of it, too. I understand that nobody wants to be seen as jumping on the Top 40 bandwagon, but in this case, I think the hating might be where the bandwagon is.

Or maybe I just like it because my wife is named Stacy, and I kid my mother-in-law about it.

Exactly what I was thinking. Stacy's Mom is garbage, but they've got a lot of great stuff. Every other song on that album is great. Hey Julie is maybe a perfect song. I wish I wrote that for my gal.

I can understand the dislike of Stacy's Mom...it was played to death.

But I still rather like the tune. The lyrics are classic Fountains of Wayne....I like the line, "I could tell she liked me from the way she stared. And the way she said, 'You missed a spot over there.' "

Their lyrics can range from silly to touching to funny to clever...

Simply calling them another pop band belittles their talent I think. I appreciate the lyric writing of FOW. I've heard many decent pop songs who's lyrics are totally unforgettable.

It great to see these guys get props from some people here whose music opinions I definitely value. I was born in Hackensack too, so how can I not love them.

Some of my favorite shows of all-time were seeing them at small Jersey clubs in the late 90s-early 00s (RIP Tradewinds). Barbara H. is one of my favorite tunes ever, and Troubled Times always makes an appearance when I'm having problems with the ladies.

How do you guys compare FOW to Guster? I've heard critics of both bands attack their lyrics and their fans argue that they make great pop songs and are a lot of fun. For me, I love Guster and think their lyrics are good. FOW, on the other hand, are sugary-sweet poppiness that catches me instantly but wears off quickly.

Edit: As I was writing, Troubled Times came on. That's a great song with great lyrics.

i cant speak to guster - dont really know thei stuff

i think the backlash against poppiness is unwarranted. not every band is out to save the world you know? sometimes a great pop song is a lovely thing to behold -- good clean fun and no one gets hurt!

How do you guys compare FOW to Guster? I've heard critics of both bands attack their lyrics and their fans argue that they make great pop songs and are a lot of fun. For me, I love Guster and think their lyrics are good. FOW, on the other hand, are sugary-sweet poppiness that catches me instantly but wears off quickly.

Edit: As I was writing, Troubled Times came on. That's a great song with great lyrics.

I think the difficulty of writing a great pop tune is vastly underappreciated, and both of these bands bring a great deal of craft and intelligence to the endeavor. That's probably why I often think of them as belonging to the same plane, but I agree with you: Guster sticks to the ribs more than FoW does.

I think the difficulty of writing a great pop tune is vastly underappreciated, and both of these bands bring a great deal of craft and intelligence to the endeavor. That's probably why I often think of them as belonging to the same plane, but I agree with you: Guster sticks to the ribs more than FoW does.

Amen.

And for the record, Guster's release from this past year is still sticking with me surprisingly. For having zero expectations, I ended up liking it a TON. I hope I feel the same about FoW's new one.