Tweedy in Tulsa - Best & Worst experience at same time

(RANT WARNING)

Okay, I probably shouldn't post my thoughts tonight until I've slept on it, but here goes.

The good, bad and downright ugly ...

The Good:

Jeff was better than good, he was great! It was as incredible as I expected for my first Jeff Tweedy solo experience, and I was lucky enough to get front row seats. (I think I got some decent pics, but they'll all pretty much be the same angle. Nothing spectacular, though ... I'll share when I get the chance to download and edit them.) The sound was crystal clear, and his set-list (sorry I do not have it) was solid. For me, Blue-Eyed Soul, Airline, Jesus Etc., IATTBYH, Mountain Bed, and Sunken Treasure couldn't have sounded better. It was also nice for Jeff to take the request of a young kid sitting near me -- he asked for Heavy Metal Drummer and got a great rendition of it. Special moment for this kid and his family. Also good to see some of the fans/friends I met at the Wichita show.

The Bad:

I expected (nay, hoped) it would be like the DVDs and other footage I've seen or live audio I've heard, with a reserved, respectful crowd who's there for THE MUSIC! Where you can hear a pin drop between pauses in the song ... A concert hall experience ... Instead, it was Jeff performing in a honkey tonk. And he realized this early on. I love the Cain's Ballroom, it's history and all, but in hindsight it wasn't suited for Jeff's typical acoustic show. More than half of the fans were great, respectful, with appropriate banter, requests, enthusiasm, etc. ... the other segment was a drinking crowd, loud, self-important, uneducated about the nature of Jeff's solo gigs and the etiquette typically shown by his fans ... they were downright RUDE! Not really rude towards Jeff personally (I'm sure he's seen it all), but rude to continually interrupt his artistic performance and very rude to his other paying fans who were there to enjoy it ... though I doubt they had a clue they were annoying as hell and probably walked out of the Ballroom thinking they were king of the world at the uber-cool Wilco-guy solo show. They wanted a beer-bustin' rock and roll concert like Wilco put on there a year ago (a rollicking good time, I must say) ... Jeff did a great job of playing it off with his witty comebacks, but the excessive WOOOS and I LOVE YOUs and stupid requests (at inappropriate times) threatened to ruin the evening. Jeff said he didn't have many "Friday Night Songs" and this was definitely a "Friday Night Crowd" ... The shouts would not stop from this segment of the audience, especially one "Alpha Male" as Jeff called him who had to be the center of attention in the darkened venue. Jeff handled it well, but you could sense that when Jeff joked "Don't make me come out there and fight you ..." that part of him really wanted to clean his clock. Jeff continuously tried to tell the yellers that he'd play all their favorite songs, that he knew all the ones they repeatedly called for and with graceful humor, tried to clue them in to the fact that they could cease with the interjections.

A few of the other things that irked me:

Flash bulbs popping all freaking night! As a person being respectful of the NO-FLASH policy, I had never seen anything like it. People walking up to the front of the stage, dead center, with a beer in one hand and a camera phone in the other, like they were taking pics of a zoo exhibit or their buddy's bar band. People with cameras taking shots from up front with flickering red-eye "pre-flashes" before the regular flashes ... sorry to rant, but this kind of thing could likely put an end to ALL cameras for fans ... Then there were the squealing, giggling girls shouting out requests (after coming down front), people writing requests on napkins and putting them on stage, as if he's the Piano Man at a hotel lobby lounge ... When Jeff offered to answer some crowd questions, people proceeded to walk up front and address him at center stage. WTF? Plus, there's that dude who requests "Please Tell My Brother" and has no clue that it's off-limits for now. I feel like the Geico Caveman: It's called research.

The Ugly:

With two guys taping the show, we will soon get to hear an incredible version of Acuff-Rose, ruined by hoots and hollers from the revelers and the "SHUSSHHHING" from annoyed fans, including a very necessaary but unfortunate "STFU!" which will undoubtedly be heard loud and clear on the recording. One of the tapers told me it's the rowdiest Tweedy solo show he's seen, and he's been to a number of them.

Don't get me wrong, I realize rock 'n roll should be spontaneous, free and raucus and maybe I am a victim of my own expectations of what the night should or could have have been ... and if you were one of the rowdy ones (I doubt it or you wouldn't be here ... but if you were) then forgive my rant and attack. I know you were just trying to have a good time. But Jeff's solo gigs aren't rock 'n roll shows, they are intended (I believe) for music lovers to get a more intimate performance of his material. I just hope that the next time Jeff comes to Oklahoma for a solo gig (and I truly pray there IS a next time), that it's at a different venue with a different mindset for the crowd. The Cain's is great, but tonight was the wrong place, wrong time, and to me at least, not quite right.

Again, sorry for the rant ... In the morning I hope to feel better and remember the beautiful parts of the show and forget the a-holes. You true (respectful) fans know who you are. Thanks!

I couldn't agree with you more creativetype. This was also my first solo Tweedy experience and in the back of my mind I had wondered what type of crowd would be in attendance. To use the old adage, I hate that a few sour apples can put a damper on something like this for everyone else. Even so, Jeff handled it very well and played wonderfully. I thoroughly enjoyed the show all in all and look forward to seeing him next week in New Orleans.

I'm not surprised by the reaction here. I felt the same way. People seemed to show up expecting the same show that Wilco put on at Cain's in '05. I was ashamed to be part of a crowd that seemed to think rushing the stage at a Tweedy solo show was acceptable.

I completely agree with you creativetype. This was my first tweedy-solo experience, though my second tweedy "in person" experience. I saw the wilco show at cains, one of the best shows of my life.

I have been to TONS of shows at cains, ive even played there several times. I know tulsa crowds..they've always been bad. But tonight was the worst ive seen. Jeff was clearly unhappy after the first song. It was apparent when he called us a Rowdy Crowd, and said, "I can see im not going to win".

When someone yelled "Heavy Metal Drummer", he replied "Oh im gonna play it..then im gonna leave", i wouldnt have blamed him. Im surprised he did two encores, or even played as long as he did. (close to 2 hours.)

Jeff was amazing..the crowd didnt deserve to be there.

-radio_king.

Very well put creativetype. Still trying to wrap our heads around the evening. :huh :hmm I can say that Jeff gave us a really great show in spite of it all. :worship

Here's the setlist (in no particular order) that hubby and I came up with on the 4 hour ride home. (Please excuse any errors/typos/wrong titles, etc....not sure why I'm not in bed yet...) :yawn

Sunken Treasure

Blue Eyed Soul

Mountain Bed

Patient With Me

HMD

Screen Door

Gun (!)

ITTBYH

ITMWLY

Ruling Class

Theologians

Shot In The Arm

Is That The Thanks

Airline to Heaven

Jesus, etc.

ELT

I Can't Keep From Talking

Late Greats

Acuff Rose (sans PA)

:(

Bummer.

I had seriously considered driving over for this show...it makes me sad when the crowd is the show.

It was almost a year ago that I saw Tweedy at the Fillmore, and that stands as one of the best shows I have ever seen, at a venue not unlike the Cain's. I think of the many shows I have seen where it's been just a singer and a guitar, or a singer and a piano and have never been dismayed with the audience, regardless of the venue. What is the dealio?

I am puzzled, and looking at the radar this morning, glad I stayed home.

I hope you wake up this morning and have some happy memories too, Clay.

Flash bulbs popping all freaking night! As a person being respectful of the NO-FLASH policy, I had never seen anything like it. People walking up to the front of the stage, dead center, with a beer in one hand and a camera phone in the other, like they were taking pics of a zoo exhibit or their buddy's bar band.

As someone who always drags a camera with her to every show (save for the last Wilco show I went to, which was at an absolutely "no cameras" venue), I still hate, hate, hate obnoxious photographers.

You ever had this: someone taking photos of his friends while they're watching the show? I was at a Paul Westerberg show last year and some clown behind me had the audacity to prop his drunk buddies against me as he took pictures of them raising what appeared to be adult-sized sippy cups of beer.

Oh, I almost forgot ... before the Tulsa show my buddy and I grabbed a bite at the Blue Dome Diner (2nd & Detroit) ... we were looking for something quick and happened upon a sign that said "EAT" out front. We were sold.

I am not exaggerating: BEST BURGER AND THE MOST INCREDIBLE MASHED POTATOES EVER! EVER.

Super cool service, as well. I highly recommend it.

(Also, check out the Blue Moon Bakery & Cafe on 30th and Peoria ... where you can see the picture Jeff took of the crowd in Wichita with my camera framed and on the wall. Wilco fan Alan is the owner and is in the pic as well, along with other notable VCers.)

I capured this with with my Canon Powershot. So, here's some humble footage of last night's closer, "Acuff Rose."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoCiyuB5fZs

Thanks....I always enjoy a bit of "being there" :P Not "Being There" the album, but...oh, you get what I mean! :lol

Even this brief clip gives a sense of the audience!

GOOD MORNING!!!!

I awoke refreshed after a long night's sleep ... then quickly turned my anger on the OKC weather men who are giving us wall-to-wall coverage of the blizzard that wasn't. Nary a flake here in Stillwater.

Morning Grumpy!!! :cheekkiss :wave

Sounded like you had plenty of flakes at the show last night. :yes

(Also, check out the Blue Moon Bakery & Cafe on 30th and Peoria ... where you can see the picture Jeff took of the crowd in Wichita with my camera framed and on the wall. Wilco fan Alan is the owner and is in the pic as well, along with other notable VCers.)

:lol

One never knows where one's picture will end up hanging on a wall.

In defense of the Tulsa crowd, we have been iced in for the better part of a week, so I think a lot of people were letting off some steam from cabin fever.

That being said, yeah, there were a bunch of rude asses, especially a couple of chicks right behind me who insisted on chatting with each other loudly the entire time.

Jeff handled it well and he sounded great.

Here's the setlist from last night's show:

1. Sunken Treasure

2. Blue Eyed Soul

3. Mountain Bed

4. Airline To Heaven

5. The Ruling Class

6. Patient With Me

7. Heavy Metal Drummer

8. Screen Door

9. Gun

10. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

11. Shot In The Arm

Encore 1

12. I Can't Keep From Talking

13. The Late Greats

14. Is That The Thanks I Get?

Encore 2

15. Theologians

16. ELT

17. Jesus, etc.

18. I'm The Man Who Loves You

19. Acuff Rose

Thanks for posting the setlist. (in order) :)

Highlights for us were Gun and Patient With Me (was really glad Jeff went ahead and decided to do the latter despite what seemed like an understandable hesitation) :yes

Roll on May 15th! :dancing

With all due respect, this is Psycho-Fan talk.

yeah, you can't expect people to know that. most people don't read the boards.

i think its really nice though that jeff gives an explanation to why he doesn't play it instead of just saying "i'm not playing that".