Teeange Fanclub

Anyone heard any updates on Teenage Fanlub? I blasted Four Thousand Seven Hundred And Sixty-Six Seconds today. Great stuff.

I heard they played the entire Bandwagonesque album last year in London. Can't seem to find any recordings online. Anyone seen it online? or other tfc bootlegs?

Can you gimme a hand with Teenage Fanclub? I own Bandwagonesque and I love it. I think the song "The Concept" strikes the perfect balance in their sound to me. The dynamics between ragged guitar and beautiful harmonies. I've downloaded some other random songs but can't find anything I truly love like Bandwagonesque. I've got there greatest hits, and Songs From Northern Britain (albeit I dont listen to them that frequently and all the way through) but im looking for something with the BITE of Bandwagonesque. I love all there cover songs I've accumulated and other random songs stand out (Neil Jung for instance). Just wondering where else I should be investigating....

Can you gimme a hand with Teenage Fanclub? I own Bandwagonesque and I love it. I think the song "The Concept" strikes the perfect balance in their sound to me. The dynamics between ragged guitar and beautiful harmonies. I've downloaded some other random songs but can't find anything I truly love like Bandwagonesque. I've got there greatest hits, and Songs From Northern Britain (albeit I dont listen to them that frequently and all the way through) but im looking for something with the BITE of Bandwagonesque. I love all there cover songs I've accumulated and other random songs stand out (Neil Jung for instance). Just wondering where else I should be investigating....

Bandwagonesque had its own unique sound that they never really have done again. Every album since then has become more and more poppy. The follow up to Bandwagonesque - "Thirteen" would be the best place to start. But their strongest album by far is Grand Prix.

If you like their grungey sound though you should also try a Catholic Education which was their debut.

Thirteen has some of the same balance of harder edge and pop. The opener, Hang On, is a good example. I remember in an MTV interview back when Thirteen came out that Gerry said he was influenced by Norman's The Concept when he wrote Hang On.

Thirteen often gets slammed as a weak follow up to Bandwagonesque but there are some real gems on there. It is in need of a remaster but songs like Fear of Flying and Gene Clark are great tunes.

Actually, now that I think about it, their latest, Man-Made, has some of the distortion back.

• 1 month later...

I got around to picking up "thirteen" awhile ago and I will agree that it is a very worthy follow up to "Bandwagonesque" getting just the right balance of distortion and sweet harmonies. Thank you for the reccomendation.

I was wondering if you can explain a bit more to me on some other albums. The first one, "A Catholic Education" is supposedly very darkier and "grungier" are the tunes catchy as well? Or had they not perfected there melodic sense yet that shows up on "Bandwagonesque"?

You guys also pointed out that "Grand Prix" was a particuarly strong album? How does this sound in contrast to "Thirteen"? Because the only song I've heard off it is "Neil Jung" and I think its amazing, possibly my second favorite Fanclub song of all time...how does the rest of the album compare to this?

thank you for all your help!!!

You guys also pointed out that "Grand Prix" was a particuarly strong album? How does this sound in contrast to "Thirteen"? Because the only song I've heard off it is "Neil Jung" and I think its amazing, possibly my second favorite Fanclub song of all time...how does the rest of the album compare to this?

If you like jangly, harmony-drenched pop with big hooks, Grand Prix will knock your socks off. The Fannies are at the top of their form, harnessing all their talents on lyrics, melodies, harmonies, and so on for the perfect distillation of their sound. All those traits you loved on the early records peak at this one; I love everything the Fannies have done, but none of their albums touch Grand Prix.

"Neil Jung" is one of those classic tongue-in-cheek Norman Blake songs (see also: "Alcoholiday"), but I think Gerald Love's tunes on Grand Prix are the true showstoppers. You can seriously sail away to the stars on "Don't Look Back." But that's not to say Raymond's songs are weak; "Verisimilitude" is completely delightful.

I used to own several copies of this CD, just so that I could force them on friends. I've since given up on that practice, but that hasn't stopped me from pimping it verbally.

There is a definite shift in "voice" from the beginning of TFC and into Thirteen that I never really understood.

I really thought Man Made was a great album

I normally suggest Songs From Northern Britain as their best.

Shows you what a great band they are when there are so many different opinions

Their first, A Catholic Education, is not as "poppy" as the later ones. I think it is an acquired taste but together with the single, Everything Flows, it's interesting to see how they started out. Bandwagonesque really solidified their "sound."

Looking at Grand Prix now you can really see how it's a perfect bridge between Thirteen and Songs From Northern Britain. Howdy! doesn't get much talk but there are some classics on there. The Town and the City being one of my favorites.

Speaking of "rarer" Teenage Fanclub tunes, there were a few great b-sides from the Grand Prix days: Between Us (a Rutles cover!), Who Loves the Sun (Velvet Underground). And I always loved Fallin' from the Judgement Night soundtrack with De La Soul.

here is song:

http://download.yousendit.com/8E58551C132858A4

crescd210x.jpg

1. Neil Jung (Blake) 4:51

2. Traffic Jam (Blake) 3:16

3. Hi-Fi (McGinley) 2:11

4. I Heard You Looking (Hubley/Kaplan/McNew) 12:43

Format:

CDS

Year:

08/1995

Label:

Creation Records

Cat.no.:

CRESCD 210X (slimline jewel case)

UK

thank you so much! I'm gonna download it when I get out of work. Is there a website that lists the singles from each album? I'd like to check out some more studio songs left off some of the albums.

By the way I picked up Grand Prix yesterday and its AMAZING. Thank you all for the suggestions.

I think this place lists them all. Good Hunting!

http://home.no.net/teenage/fanclub/index.htm

BTW - I think it was board member Nettel's band Cordalene that was supposed to open for the fannies on a 2001 tour. If I remember correctly, it never happened because in all the terrorism related hub-bub, the Fannies could not get visas. Too bad, and I guess this post serves as a plug for the power-pop goodness of Cordalene.