Stuff Gleaned from other's top ten lists

I really like late December and on into January music wise. Everyone publishes their top 10 lists and you can put a couple good references together, perhaps hear a song or 2 and go plunging into a new band. What have you gleaned from other's 2006 picks?

Me:

Heartless Bastards - All this Time. Erika has a killer voice and since I think PJ Harvey didn't put anything out this year, it certainly fills a void.

The Broken Family Band - Balls. The cross between Brakes and the Handsome Family is somehow very very appealing

Ghostface Killah - Fishscale. This is just an excellent cd. I usually only buy one rap cd a year, I really don't know what I'm doing and need people who do, to find the good stuff.

Ladyhawk - S/T - Great GBV type music.

Mission of Burma - Obilterati - I tend not to pick up older band stuff because my success rate is pretty low for bands that have been around for 20+ years, yet this was just great.

Rock Plaza Central - Are We Not Horses? OK, the pretending to be steel horses thing is pretty strange, but dammit, I keep listening to it.

Please post more 'Feeback' on things picked up from others.

I dl'ed a bunch of stuff based on year-end lists, but haven't made it way through many of them more than a time or two. Of the stuff that's received repeated plays, these two come to mind as being quite good:

Ox - American Lo-Fi

Peter Bjorn & John - Writer's Block

Both came from VC lists and Ox came from lizish (I think). Thanks!

most of this stuff is probably from kyle...

p.o.s. - audition

figurines - skeleton

rock plaza central - are we not horses

css - cansei de ser sexy

asobi seksu - citrus

film school - film school

so many dynamos - flashlights

david ford - i sincerely apologize...

the applseed cast - peregrine

I had listened to Hot Chip once and it didn't do much, but it was so ubiquitous on year end lists I tried it again and still couldn't get into it.

Other stuff I have picked up:

Tokyo Police Club - listened to it once, gonna have to give more listens to that but sounds pretty good

Beach House - haven't listened yet

Girl Talk - my friends loved this and I finally got around to it and holy crap is it amazing.

That Rock City Plaza album is great, nice bunch of guys too.

I bought The Wire over the weekend and been d/l a couple of their top albums of the year but yet to start spinning them.

They included:

Carla Bozulich - Evangelista

Wolf Eyes - Human Animal

Om - Conference of Birds

most of this stuff is probably from kyle...

p.o.s. - audition

figurines - skeleton

rock plaza central - are we not horses

css - cansei de ser sexy

asobi seksu - citrus

film school - film school

so many dynamos - flashlights

david ford - i sincerely apologize...

the applseed cast - peregrine

not that one, what's it like? :)

I think that recommendation might have come from me... Bridget?

Here's their Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/rockplazacentral

It's a great, great album... it's based around the idea of mechanical horses, with 6 legs who are trying to find their home... mind blowingly fantastic premise and it mixes all kinds of stuff together, it's like alt-country if the planet was Mars... if that makes sense!

I think that recommendation might have come from me... Bridget?

yup. :yes

It's a great, great album... it's based around the idea of mechanical horses, with 6 legs who are trying to find their home... mind blowingly fantastic premise and it mixes all kinds of stuff together, it's like alt-country if the planet was Mars... if that makes sense!

yeah... what rich said... :D

I completely missed that one. Ill grab it later I think, it sounds....interesting.

Yeah...that Ox album is really good. Has it even been officially released in the U.S., though? I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

No. Which is strange 'cause Weewerk usually just does a deal with Six Shooter records and they release the stuff in the US and Canada at the same time.

Oh well, it could be a 2007 release I guess.

It's great stuff - the guys contacted me through Myspace when I added them as a "friend" and sent me a copy of the album to review... it really is stunning stuff... can we call it Prog-Country or something?!?! :D

I met them as well, wonderful bunch. They'll be here in March for SXSW. Right now, I'm trying to put the finishing touches of pre-production on a video for them. For the first track.

I asked if i could do something for a track that they didn't have plans for, and they said sure, I told them I didn't want any money, but just the chance to do it, like I did when I made Derek let me do that Riviera thing. (DP had no choice).

I'm very stoked, and have a pretty good idea for that song, hopefully by next week I'll know 100% if I can pull it off. If it blows, no harm no foul, they can tell me to shove it. I hope to knock it out soon, cross your fingers.

I met them as well, wonderful bunch. They'll be here in March for SXSW. Right now, I'm trying to put the finishing touches of pre-production on a video for them. For the first track.

I asked if i could do something for a track that they didn't have plans for, and they said sure, I told them I didn't want any money, but just the chance to do it, like I did when I made Derek let me do that Riviera thing. (DP had no choice).

I'm very stoked, and have a pretty good idea for that song, hopefully by next week I'll know 100% if I can pull it off. If it blows, no harm no foul, they can tell me to shove it. I hope to knock it out soon, cross your fingers.

Good stuff! You'll have to give us a sneaky peak when you've finished it!