Stooges to tour

Saw them at pine knob with sonic youth a couple years ago and thought it was a great show. Interesting choice of venue for the Detroit show.

http://pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/410...unce_Tour_Dates

The Stooges Announce Tour Dates

Starting in Switzerland on March 8, the Stooges will take The Weirdness (out March 20 on Virgin) on the road, where they will play a couple of festivals and a few scattered U.S. cities. As previously reported, they'll also hit SXSW, where they'll perform and Iggy Pop will be interviewed by journalist David Fricke.

The band are currently streaming the recently Forkcasted new song from the album, "My Idea of Fun", at their MySpace.

Dates:

03-08 Crans-Montana, Switzerland - Caprices Festival

03-17 Austin, TX - SXSW

04-07 Boston, MA - Orpheum

04-09 New York, NY - United Palace

04-13 Detroit, MI - Fox Theatre

04-17 Denver, CO - Fillmore Auditorium

04-19 San Francisco, CA - The Warfield

04-27 Seattle, WA - WaMu Theater at Qwest Field Events

07-21 Troms

Saw them at pine knob with sonic youth a couple years ago and thought it was a great show. Interesting choice of venue for the Detroit show.

I was at that Pine Knob show too, and holy shit were they great. Anyone who is even sort of a fan should go see them.

I saw Iggy play solo at the State Theater a few years back. Not as fancy shmancy as the Fox, but still sort of a formal environment for Iggy. He was humping the statues that are next to the stage and everything. I'm sure he'll find some good ways to defile the Fox.

Yep. I remember the mad scramble to find out if the show was cancelled or not. And then of course during the show Iggy demanded all the lights be turned off so he could yell about the power outage for a bit. That was awesome. Oh man, I wanna see them again so badly. Hopefully a Chicago date, but if not I very well could go back to Detroit to see them.

Yep. I remember the mad scramble to find out if the show was cancelled or not. And then of course during the show Iggy demanded all the lights be turned off so he could yell about the power outage for a bit. That was awesome. Oh man, I wanna see them again so badly. Hopefully a Chicago date, but if not I very well could go back to Detroit to see them.

we drove out to toronto the next day for radiohead. they said the show was going to go on since the power was back on but no dice.

• 3 years later...

Rock Hall, 'Raw Power' To Start New Three-Year Stooges Cycle

Iggy Pop is eyeballing "a three-year cycle" for the current incarnation of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame-bound the Stooges that will include the expanded re-release of 1973's seminal "Raw Power" album, touring and quite likely some new recording.

"We'll give it a good, sharp poke for the next three years and then step back and see where we are, see what we can do with it after that," Pop tells Billboard.com. "After that we should step back and pick our shots once in awhile. Hopefully we can be like something that convenes for certain occasions."

In the wake of founding guitarist Ron Asheton's death in January of 2008, Pop rekindled his relationship with James Williamson, who joined the group in 1971 and was Pop's chief collaborator on "Raw Power." Original drummer Scott "Rock Action" Asheton remains, as does bassist Mike Watt, who's been a Stooge since the group's 2003 reactivation, and saxophonist Steve Mackay. Pop says he expects the band -- which played a November "warm-up date" in Brazil -- to do "not more than about three months" on the road this year; 25 shows are already booked, he says, starting April 14 in Bourges, France, and including a Sept. 3 performance of "Raw Power" at the All Tomorrow's Parties festival in Monticello, N.Y.

"This year will probably heavier on the international (dates)," Pop says. "We haven't booked farther in the States because right now the world has made better offers...But I'm certain that sometime within the cycle we will do a proper U.S. tour as long as no one else expires or breaks. I'll see to that."

Pop also hopes to do some recording with the current Stooges lineup and is already in the midst of writing new material. "Once I stared working with Ron and Scott again," Pop explains, "it was important to me intellectually that the group be resurrected, not just reunified. So that meant we had to be writing and releasing new material." He's working on some ideas that the Ashetons cooked up shortly before Ron's death -- including one song about the Three Stooges -- while Williamson, who's resumed his music career after retiring from Sony Electronics, "is already on me like a greased cat. He's sending me riffs, so I did some vocals to a couple of them and it's starting to sound like something."

Pop says he'd also like to consider recording heavily bootlegged Stooges songs that were rejected by record labels between 1970's "Fun House" and "Raw Power" and also material written after the latter was released. "Ultimately I'd like to get into the studio with the group and maybe have a couple old songs, a couple new songs and then a little time to just jam and see what happens," Pop says.

The Stooges -- joined by "Raw Power" era touring member Scott Thurston, now of Tom Petty's Heartbreakers -- will perform at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony on March 15 in New York City. "Raw Power" comes out in two versions -- a two-CD Legacy Edition with a "George Peaches" live recording and a three-CD/one DVD Deluxe Edition with a rarities disc and documentary -- on April 13. Williamson, meanwhile, is remixing the post-Stooges "Kill City" album he and Pop recorded in 1975 and released in 1977 for reissue later this year.